• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shezbug's secret friend... Birdie!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
So, I have a Sulphur Crested Cockatoo (SC2) that I’d like to introduce to AA… this is my shifty little friend Birdie!! C1070261-A48A-408D-9A58-94AFBB2610FA.jpeg I had previously only told a few AA members about him (thank you to those of you who A) knew about him, B) helped me with his diet, health etc and C) did not out me for having a secret bird lol) but as I’ve mentioned him a few times now I’ve inadvertently hijacked another members thread so I thought it best to fess up and share the information that I now have secret bird lol.

Some information about Birdie...
Birdie came to live with me in June this year when his original owner needed to focus more on their own serious health issues.
Birdie does not fly and he has something wrong with his wings- further investigations are still needed, we are currently saving for them as well as saving for a new aviary for him when we move in the near future.
Birdie has some neurological and other health issues as well as diet problems- hoping to improve all these things significantly over time, so far things have been showing slow but positive improvements.
Birdie is not a wild caught bird- he was bred in NSW and handraised and spent his whole life with the one owner until moving to my home to join my family.
Birdie is 14-15 years old.
Birdie says quite a few things, some easy to understand and some in a secret bird gibberish language- pretty sure some of what I hear him waffling about is a specialized curse he is trying to put on me :laugh:
Birdie sometimes loves me and sometimes loves to hate me- his favorite game is trying to catch me not paying attention so he can nip me.... I am winning this game so far and the closest he has come to winning or scoring is ripping my jumper lol. His second favorite game is sitting in his food bowls and totally refusing to move so I have to hold his food for him while he eats- I only do this for him now and then as he is being encouraged to be more independent and adventurous.
Birdie adores my son, shows off for him, calls out to him and giggles for him and is so much nicer to him than to me- poor Birdie does not realize that my son is not interested in being responsible for a bird nor being a best friend for a bird :roflmao: Thankfully for Birdie, my son does do the very charitable thing and visits with him a few times a day for some one on one time/chatting/dancing and treat giving.

I will try to add a few more pics of Birdie here in this thread and a video or two if I can remember over the next few days.

Any questions you may have about Birdie please feel free to ask but please also be aware that I may not answer everything asked as some things in this particular situation are not so easy to answer/explain without either sounding negative, horrible or over opinionated.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Birdie is such handsome fella! He looks mischievous in that pic,lol classic Too. That's so wonderful that you were able to open your home and your heart to him. I look forward to seeing more pics and hearing more about him :heart:

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Hello Birdie! :heart::heart:
Shez what does Birdie feel like? I have never touch a too, but have been admiring the wild toos feathers lately.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Awww hello Birdie! :xflove: Glad he found a soft landing with you! What does Burt think of Birdie?

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
Aww, congratulations on the new addition of Birdie! He is such a handsome little Too!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well I always said I wanted to be a one bird flock BUT if somebirdy needed my/our help I'd step up like I've always done if possible, I now have 4 birds, two are staying, two are fosters but who knows, funny how life works. Pippen even got to be Celebirdy of the Month and I haven't really had her that long but everyone knows her story.
Good on ya for helping this boy and I hope he gets better and better in your care but as long as he's happy and loved whether he loves ya back that's all that counts :xflove:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Birdie is such handsome fella! He looks mischievous in that pic,lol classic Too. That's so wonderful that you were able to open your home and your heart to him. I look forward to seeing more pics and hearing more about him :heart:
He can be very cheeky lol! I took that pic this morning as I was running away from him while getting some of his breakfast ready and cleaning up all the food he threw out of his dishes yesterday, he will now touch some of the foods that I put in his bowl that he refuses to acknowledge as food... he picks them up and throws them with the funniest look of disgust on his little feathered face as he is adamant that birds should only eat Green peas, sunflower and peanut :( He chases me and tries to either get at my feet or climb up my legs so I put him down on the ground to make him move about somewhat (he was like a bird statue a lot of the time and would cry out for me to come feed and water him instead of moving to the dishes) and get a little exercise, I think he is actually starting to enjoy his morning exercise sessions lol.

Hello Birdie! :heart::heart:
Shez what does Birdie feel like? I have never touch a too, but have been admiring the wild toos feathers lately.
He feels soft and sorta oily dusty- every time I touch him my hands are covered in white powder. He has dropped a fair few old feathers thankfully so he has a few pins at the moment- gonna be a nice warm day and it is also meant to rain too so hopefully he will be happy to come out of the aviary to have a wash- his door is always open when I am home but he won't leave the aviary unless I get him out... he hates but will tolerate the spray bottle, hose, water dish for bathing but he gets seriously crazy excited when it rains so if its not too cold when it rains I like to let him shower in the rain which means I have to stand out there with him to ensure the kites don't prey on him lol.
Thank you for keeping my secret :)

Awww hello Birdie! :xflove: Glad he found a soft landing with you! What does Burt think of Birdie?
Burt and Birdie have only met outside and through the carrier and wire of the aviary, they honestly have no interest in each other, it is really odd. They do watch each other sometimes when Burt is in the kitchen/lounge flying about as Birdies aviary can be seen from the areas Burt is allowed to fly around in. I thought they would yell or play up to each other but they don't, they both seem more interested in stressing the dog out through their safety barriers of wire or window :roflmao:

Well I always said I wanted to be a one bird flock BUT if somebirdy needed my/our help I'd step up like I've always done if possible, I now have 4 birds, two are staying, two are fosters but who knows, funny how life works. Pippen even got to be Celebirdy of the Month and I haven't really had her that long but everyone knows her story.
Good on ya for helping this boy and I hope he gets better and better in your care but as long as he's happy and loved whether he loves ya back that's all that counts :xflove:
I only wanted Macaws when I decided to bring birds back into my life but I am a true sucker for sweet innocent animals in bad situations or in need of help. I nearly ended up with a wild magpie in need of some rehab two days ago but unfortunately it could not be caught so I have my fingers crossed it was able to find a safe place to recover. He has made progress in leaps and bounds so I am quite pleased for him and hopeful that things will continue to improve for him.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a precious face! Welcome, Birdie! You landed in a great spot :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
He looks healthier and seems to be getting around much better! :pinklol3:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
He looks healthier and seems to be getting around much better! :pinklol3:
He is certainly getting much more weighty, curious, energetic, confident, agile and mobile, he has not fallen from his perch for quite some time now and he has also started preening and stretching much more like he should be- it is soooo awesome to see him improving, learning and gaining better skills. I should have videoed him chasing me about this morning, when he walks fast he has the funniest cutest little duck waddle hehehe.

Thank you so much for all your support and for keeping my secret :swoon:

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
What a beauty oh a boy mr. birdie is!
Very lucky boy to land in you kind home!
must admit a secret bird is better than no bird. Can wait to follow you journey together! I hope his original owners get well soon!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
My condolences. I mean congratulations on the new future boss. I'd ask him for a raise$ right away before he assumes the role. :lol:

Bless your heart my dear for having the courage to give him a home. Onward and upward. :hug8:

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Birdie is sooo cute! :faint:
He couldn't have gone to a better person, I can't wait to see more pics of him.