• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shezbug's secret friend... Birdie!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Cute:heart: I got to say he looks big! Lovie looks smaller because he plucks but Birdie looks husky!
Is Lovie a greater or lesser SC2?

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
No, I have not been that unfortunate. I definitely don't want one.:scrstf:

A greater. He typically weighs about 470-480 grams.
From what I understand that is much much lighter than the average weight for a Greater SC2. Is your guy in good condition weight wise? Or is there a chance he’s a lesser?

Last edited:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
From what I understand that is much much lighter than the average weight for a Greater SC2. Is your guy in good condition weight wise? Or is there a chance he’s a lesser?

I thought he was a little thin at first, but when I compared to other Toos his kneel bone seems average. The only lesser SC2 I have met was smaller than Lovie and had slightly smaller beak, crest, and feet. Lovie lacks the yellow cheek patch, has blue around his eyes, and a small curl in his crest. When I first saw him, I noticed right away he has a significant poof of feathers above his beak, the top front of his head.
I feel like I don't know enough to confidently give an answer. Would a picture with a soda can give a better idea of his size?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Such a cutie. :) I'm glad things are going well.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I thought he was a little thin at first, but when I compared to other Toos his kneel bone seems average. The only lesser SC2 I have met was smaller than Lovie and had slightly smaller beak, crest, and feet. Lovie lacks the yellow cheek patch, has blue around his eyes, and a small curl in his crest. When I first saw him, I noticed right away he has a significant poof of feathers above his beak, the top front of his head.
I feel like I don't know enough to confidently give an answer. Would a picture with a soda can give a better idea of his size?
The blue around the eyes is not something I have ever seen in a greater SC2- I have actually never seen any SC2 that is like the subspecies I have read about. I am thinking from your description you may have a medium or blue eyed 2 not a greater SC2- greater SC2 has the really really light yellow ear patches and does not have blueish tinge to the eye rings. I can't seem to find the link with the clear description of the differences between them all but I bet with some googling you might find pics and descriptions to all the subspecies.

Two links that might help...

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
The blue around the eyes is not something I have ever seen in a greater SC2- I have actually never seen any SC2 that is like the subspecies I have read about. I am thinking from your description you may have a medium or blue eyed 2 not a greater SC2- greater SC2 has the really really light yellow ear patches and does not have blueish tinge to the eye rings. I can't seem to find the link with the clear description of the differences between them all but I bet with some googling you might find pics and descriptions to all the subspecies.

Two links that might help...

A Medium SC2 would fit his description the best. It would explain why he is lighter and looks smaller than a greater SC2. It is an interesting subject, thank you for helping me research it! You are so knowledgeable on the subject.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
A Medium SC2 would fit his description the best. It would explain why he is lighter and looks smaller than a greater SC2. It is an interesting subject, thank you for helping me research it! You are so knowledgeable on the subject.
No worries, glad it helped :)
Not really knowledgeable- I am still learning and more than happy to share anything I’ve come across that can help others ;) I’ve spent ages digging for information to try to understand the differences between the subspecies and to try to find out why I’ve not seen in person any of the toos that I see owned in the US. I don’t believe I’ve seen a citron, triton, blue eyed or basically any white 2 that’s not a greater SC2.
I’m still trying to work out many things for myself and sometimes feel like I’m hitting dead ends or crazy incorrect information.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No worries, glad it helped :)
Not really knowledgeable- I am still learning and more than happy to share anything I’ve come across that can help others ;) I’ve spent ages digging for information to try to understand the differences between the subspecies and to try to find out why I’ve not seen in person any of the toos that I see owned in the US. I don’t believe I’ve seen a citron, triton, blue eyed or basically any white 2 that’s not a greater SC2.
I’m still trying to work out many things for myself and sometimes feel like I’m hitting dead ends or crazy incorrect information.
The Citron, Triton & Blue Eyed are mostly found in New Guinea. I saw a Citron Cockatoo at a pet store many years ago in Ohio/USA.

Moluccan, Umbrella, Blue Eyed, etc., are mostly from Indonesia. I have a U2 & have seen M2's, but not the Blue Eyed.

I did find reference to a subspecies of the SC2 called Mathew's Cockatoo, which is also called Norther Sulfur Crested. It is supposed to be smaller than a SC2 & is listed as having a blue eye ring. There is little info on this subspecies. Mathews' cockatoo - Wikipedia

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Surely you’ve seen corellas?
Sorry, I should have been clearer- I meant the 2s that look similar to SC2's.
Yes I have definitely seen corellas... I rehabbed a wild long billed one many years ago- do not know how the heck it got to be where it was but it needed some help and got dumped at my house lol, I have picked half a flock of little corellas (and galahs another time) up off the road to take to the vet after a car drove through them and left them laying injured. Corellas long and short billed, SC2's, galahs, major mitchells, our native black toos- I have seen all our native 2's, but I have not seen any of the 2's members here own, like the goffins, blue eyed, umbrella, mollucan, triton, citron etc

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
feeldaluvsmiley.gif Bless you, @Shezbug! Thank you for your kind heart. :smileflower:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thanks for asking @scrape. Birdie is doing ok, no real consistency with eating any new foods (except for the pellets which he seems to like) but at least he will shred some fresh foods if I skewer them. Out of a whole carrot or capsicum he will eat a bite or two and the rest hits the floor- I figure touching them is better than moving to the opposite side of the aviary though so we will keep at it. I’d like to see if he is more interested in native foods so I’m growing some but they’re a fair way away from being edible.

Your guy is looking happy and adorable :heart:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks for asking @scrape. Birdie is doing ok, no real consistency with eating any new foods (except for the pellets which he seems to like) but at least he will shred some fresh foods if I skewer them. Out of a whole carrot or capsicum he will eat a bite or two and the rest hits the floor- I figure touching them is better than moving to the opposite side of the aviary though so we will keep at it. I’d like to see if he is more interested in native foods so I’m growing some but they’re a fair way away from being edible.

Your guy is looking happy and adorable :heart:
Have you tried squash or pumpkin? Parrot Playhouse has videos on recipes and her birds tearing them up. Cooking grains inside of them. I hope you are getting along well with him.;)
Thank you. He has plucked chest and tail feathers this month. But besides that he is happy and doing well. Asking for lots of pets while he's molting.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Have you tried squash or pumpkin? Parrot Playhouse has videos on recipes and her birds tearing them up. Cooking grains inside of them. I hope you are getting along well with him.;)
Thank you. He has plucked chest and tail feathers this month. But besides that he is happy and doing well. Asking for lots of pets while he's molting.
Oh boy, sorry for accidentally ignoring you here- I am not sure what happened as I do not recall seeing this post.

I have tried feeding Birdie everything that Burt gets which is basically every veggie, grain, lentil and any other safe food I can find.

I hope the plucking has settled and everything is still going well for you both :heart:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:congrats5: he sure is beautiful !!!