• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shezbug's secret friend... Birdie!!

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I must know more about these ekkies!
I discovered one on my paper route, quite by accident. Another was in the home of my reiki teacher, and he was frustrated and struggling to bond with his girl...newer rescue to the household. He was close to giving her to me, but he's going to keep trying.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Another was in the home of my reiki teacher, and he was frustrated and struggling to bond with his girl...newer rescue to the household. He was close to giving her to me, but he's going to keep trying.
It sounds you made a good impression :)

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I was wondering who this Birdie was! Congratulations!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
It sounds you made a good impression :)
I stopped the class and darted over to the kitchen the second I heard an odd-familiar-that-had-to-be-a-parrot noise. Gasping at the dyh, I peeked around the corner and saw his lovely Luna too. I figured I'd get kicked out of class for disruption! I had no idea he had parrots before I arrived. After class I showed him how to block the shoulder runs, and check for egg formation. I love her. I really like the dyh Peppy too, but I'm nervous about the Amazon body language so I didn't hold him long.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I stopped the class and darted over to the kitchen the second I heard an odd-familiar-that-had-to-be-a-parrot noise. Gasping at the dyh, I peeked around the corner and saw his lovely Luna too. I figured I'd get kicked out of class for disruption! I had no idea he had parrots before I arrived. After class I showed him how to block the shoulder runs, and check for egg formation. I love her. I really like the dyh Peppy too, but I'm nervous about the Amazon body language so I didn't hold him long.
Once a yellowtail cockatoo landed on my shoulder at a sanctuary. I am not super familiar with their subtle body language and it was a little intimidating. Knowing those tiny micro movements really helps in understanding the bird.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
We had some visitors over for the last two days and Birdie was really quite pleased with himself for entertaining them with quality bird dance, gossip and clowning about but the best bit for him I think was completely sucking them in and then landing two bites on someone who he begged for scritches from- lol, people should believe me when I tell them he may look sweet and innocent but he is a cheeky biting turd in disguise so do not get too confident with touching him or being within striking range :laugh:. Thankfully he did not do much damage but he did spill some blood both times.

He had an absolute blast singing, headbanging and dancing with the visitors and after they had left to go home Birdie thought he would try on a new level of brat behaviour (I think he maybe had a very big day and was slightly overstimulated) with me and he threw a full blown feral screaming biting tantrum (his first really good one) and tried telling me he was staying outside of his aviary for the night... he was so very wrong lmao. It was honestly quite a nice surprise to see him communicating his wants but it was also rather amusing to see him puff himself up nice and big and stick his crest up, throw his head about exclaiming his desire to stay out right where he was and verbally give me what for in cocky language and there was some devil chanting too I am pretty sure hahaha - he even tore up a few sticks I use to move him with and refused to move from the stand for anyone- not even my son or my cousin who he really adores could move him! He did keep saying "come on Big Bird, step up" (Not copying me as I do not say step up) but just would not do it till he realised my cousin and I were just going to lift and move the whole stand he was on and he crapped his teeny birdie pants and put his foot out saying really sweetly "step up", so I tried him with a stick again and he moved onto it so fast it was crazy funny, he did this weird creepy chatter all the way back to the aviary though which I am concerned may very well have been some kind of spell he put on me :roflmao:
He really is showing so much more personality, independence, energy, mobility, confidence, problem solving and general interest in the things around him now, I am really proud of the progress he has made, tough little trooper- he is getting more confident or more willingness to touch some new foods too (ok, so he has not eaten or tasted everything I have been offering him but finally picking up a fresh chilli to throw across the aviary so it is not in his bowl is so much better than avoiding it lol).

He has loved being able to come out of the aviary again. I wont let him out when the kites and hawks are all circling above and there has been none in town anywhere of late so that is a bonus, they tend to disappear when there are floods or fires about- easy hunting working with floods and fires and there are some pretty bad floods a few hours away and also a fair few places more local have had more than enough water to move rabbits, mice, lizards and other small critters so Birdie has been spending a heap of time out in the back yard doing as he pleases :)

60CE21A7-66A7-40E3-958F-3D585C06E16F.jpeg

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Pun intended (indented?) :)
No it was not actually intended but it is funny you picked it up... my brain works too slow for clever puns most times lol

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I love seeing him so happy! :joyful::marlenesmile:And he's got so much energy now he can throw proper tantrums. Bird people really must be nuts because that's wonderful news.

Sorry he bit someone but I'm glad it wasn't serious.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's a clever boy!!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Such a handsome, cheeky secret.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Well well!! Congratulations are on order for your (almost ) new companion!! It seems I picked up on a thread at some point where a little somebody named Birdy was mentioned. I assumed it was a budgie…. Good Gawd Almighty… that’s one giant budgie!!!! :rofl::heart:

I don’t visit too often so I miss all the great stuff. I still don’t have a new computer… still hate this little phone ( but so grateful for it at the same time). I’ve been saving up too for a new Mac ( computer!). I’ve managed to sell a lot of things I didn’t need to keep and a couple of things I never used that were still new. ( a special saw for cutting stained glass). I just need 350 more but pretty proud of selling 850.00 of stuff I didn’t need to hang on to. I need my files on the old machine!!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Cute:heart: I got to say he looks big! Lovie looks smaller because he plucks but Birdie looks husky!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Cute:heart: I got to say he looks big! Lovie looks smaller because he plucks but Birdie looks husky!
Lol after chatting with Squeak Birdie looks absolutely huge but honestly he looks (and feels) so weeny after looking at Burt. I have to laugh when Birdie tells me he’s a big bird (he does this a lot)- I tell him he’s definitely much bigger than Squeaker beaker.
I am honestly amazed just how petite Birdies beak and feet are compared to Burt’s, I love the differences in all their sizes- such fascinating creatures they are :)

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
He's adorable. I love the stories about him!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Lol after chatting with Squeak Birdie looks absolutely huge but honestly he looks (and feels) so weeny after looking at Burt. I have to laugh when Birdie tells me he’s a big bird (he does this a lot)- I tell him he’s definitely much bigger than Squeaker beaker.
I am honestly amazed just how petite Birdies beak and feet are compared to Burt’s, I love the differences in all their sizes- such fascinating creatures they are :)
It is very hard to compare to a macaw. They are huge. And the length of their tails alone! I can totally see why they are so expensive. I have only ever held one macaw, but he seemed heavy. I have yet to post a macaw bite picture, I'm sure you know first-hand how big Burt's beak is. I agree, their differences are very fascinating.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It is very hard to compare to a macaw. They are huge. And the length of their tails alone! I can totally see why they are so expensive. I have only ever held one macaw, but he seemed heavy. I have yet to post a macaw bite picture, I'm sure you know first-hand how big Burt's beak is. I agree, their differences are very fascinating.
You have a macaw bite pic? Or you’re hoping to have one in the future? Lol