• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures She's very pleased

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Beasley @Leih

I think I have 3 females, possibly 4. Only one has ever laid (Aldora). I won´t live in fear over egg binding. But I also won´t blow it off.

I am just aware of it, and ready to act on it. It´s all we can do - prepare :)

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
@Beasley @Leih

I think I have 3 females, possibly 4. Only one has ever laid (Aldora). I won´t live in fear over egg binding. But I also won´t blow it off.

I am just aware of it, and ready to act on it. It´s all we can do - prepare :)
Your experience is definitely comforting! I think female birds get a bad reputation, shocking, I know! Aldora is the one you found on your doorstep, right?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yes, she is. She actually presented an egg just after quarantine was over I think it was day 50something. So she started laying pretty quick once she settled in here, and that was before she hooked up with Jaime.

I suppose it is similar to things like ovary and testicular cancer. It doesn´t happen to everyone, but they are sex related, they do happen and it is something to be educated on and be aware of.

Also, Aldora is fully flighted. Not as strong a flyer as my 4 (not incl. Adelie) but she is a good eater and active. I feel that helps her lay.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
So here's another question related to this, although you might not know, having all lovebirds, but does having other male birds of other species affect Aoife? Like if she and Galahad become friends could she produce an egg? I don't think it would be viable if she did.... Even if fertilized... But some species can interbreed, they just produce sterile offspring. I'm a non traditional student back in school and I'm a bio major and so I look at things differently now. I just learned about the avian respiratory system! So strange!

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Query Zara. Does she sit for awhile in water before she lays? I'm only asking because many years ago I watched and filmed a bird (with a very fat tummy) sitting in a puddle, wriggling it's bottom and ducking it's head over and over in the water for about 10 minutes before flying away. I've always thought that maybe it was a female cooling down during labour.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
does having other male birds of other species affect Aoife?
I don´t know. But maybe.

With Lapis and Nube, they were sexually active much younger. I believe it is because they were not alone like Sydney and Jaime were. Although Lapis has not layed an egg,, she is still very young.

Lovebirds want to breed every season, I try to reduce laying but obviously it is natural and cannot be stopped forever.

Like if she and Galahad become friends could she produce an egg? I don't think it would be viable if she did.... Even if fertilized... But some species can interbreed, they just produce sterile offspring.
If they procduce an egg, I would personally destroy it. If you think the oddspring could be subpar, it is not worth bringing a life into the world to suffer. It is why I don´t put my dog to stud and have to suffer him humping the couch.

Does she sit for awhile in water before she lays?
No, never. It is also not safe to leave open water sources in a cage with a bird who is about to lay. She may get tired and fall in.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Thank you for responding. I've just always wondered about that wild bird I filmed.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Okay I just read that hybridization does occur but typically within the same genus, which lovebirds and conures (Phyrrhura)
are not. And it says it's impossible for their eggs to be anything but sterile. And I agree, if she does lay an egg I'll destroy it, just in case.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
And it says it's impossible for their eggs to be anything but sterile.
Remember, roseicollis, fischeri and personatus can all interbreed but usually the offspring are sterile.

There isn´t a lot documented on hybrids. It would be interesting to find out more, not that I would advise it.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Remember, roseicollis, fischeri and personatus can all interbreed but usually the offspring are sterile.
Yes, I don't intend to get another lovebird. I meant the eggs from different genus, if it could occur, would be unfertilized.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yes, I don't intend to get another lovebird.
Hehehe yes, I fell into the.. ¨aww my lovebird is probably lonely, let´s get him a friend¨ trap :facepalm: Now I have all these birds and that first bird is still all alone.... :cautious:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Hehehe yes, I fell into the.. ¨aww my lovebird is probably lonely, let´s get him a friend¨ trap :facepalm: Now I have all these birds and that first bird is still all alone.... :cautious:
I got the linnies thinking the same thing but they don't care about anyone but themselves! That's why I got Galahad. Aoife is interested in the linnies but they ignore her, so I'm hoping they will be friends.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
In a twist of events, I gave Aldora the packing from my bird playground that arrived today so she could pull strips for her dish, but she decided that the paper was so good it was worth abandoning her dish and her egg for.
IMG_20190424_192520.jpg IMG_20190424_194410.jpg

I'll probably have another egg late this evening or tomorrow.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
So here's another question related to this, although you might not know, having all lovebirds, but does having other male birds of other species affect Aoife? Like if she and Galahad become friends could she produce an egg? I don't think it would be viable if she did.... Even if fertilized... But some species can interbreed, they just produce sterile offspring. I'm a non traditional student back in school and I'm a bio major and so I look at things differently now. I just learned about the avian respiratory system! So strange!
I have a male red rump parakeet who is rather infatuated with my PFL but his bite is horrific and she is fierce and small...It would be cool if they could be friends, but I’m too scared to let them out together it could end horribly. I can tell she has affected him, but she of course is unphased lol

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
This was just a few hours ago, laboured breathing again, you can see her wings are very drooped, and not just because she´s storing.
The playground came in handy because she had to fly here and work for the material.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Leih lots of hybrids happen in Asiatic parrots. It may be a place to research if you wanted to investigate it more. For example Alexandrian and IRN cross or Plumhead and IRN. It is highly frowned upon though there are cases. Blossom heads and Plumhead are hybridised a sad amount, from people who don't know what they are doing. It is really harming the blossom head community. The species is at risk in the wild and captive bred birds are getting so crossed and jumbled up with a different species.

The largest risk with asiatics is egg and chick sizes. A small Plumhead couldn't keep up with a clutch of large IRN cross babies. She could starve feeding them. Let alone issues of egg binding or a malformed chick. Human intervention can be required for this type of chick in the event it does happen.

Birds of a similar size have easier times crossing. Macaw hybrids like a harlequin or camelot. I think many times the first generation is fertile with macaws but the second is sterile.

Again I would consider hybridisation very controversial and I am not an advocate but for information you can find a lot about in in both macaws and asiatics. Might help answer questions you have.

For anyone else reading. DONT HYBRIDISED. Please.