• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sharp nails / bleeding after cut

Adam Duxbury

Moving in
Real Name
Adam Duxbury
Hello again,

I just remembered to ask.

The lady who has an African Grey offered to clip his nails some time ago and she just took the tips of the claws off and was only a tiny bit because she didn't want to go too far and it still bled a little and the Galah was off with us for around 20-30mins.

Is it normal for the nails / toes to bleed after clipped and I'm going to post a posture because today to see if you all think his nails are too long?

Because I was playing with him while he was on his back and his claw got very deep into my finger and is bleeding a lot.

Thank you so much again! X

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If you clip the "quick" the nails will bleed. I think with black nails it's harder to see. Having cornstarch or something on hand to stop the bleeding is a good idea. Even my vet sometimes will nip one of Sunny's nails when he trims them. This article isnt' specifically about birds but it has a nail diagram showing the quick. http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/resourcesgeneral/a/nailtrim.htm

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Parrots nails have blood supply throughout most of the nail, so if you clip the "quick" (part with the blood supply), the nail can bleed. Even the most experienced AV on the planet can accidentally clip a nail too short, it happens. This is why it is recommended to either have a professional (vet or experienced staff member at a local bird store) do it OR if you opt to do it at home, you'll need styptic/quick stop on hand (which is a powder that will stop the bleeding). I clip Kiwi's nails at home and I did hit the quick once (felt so bad:(). Styptic stopped the bleeding and I ran a little hydrogen peroxide over it and again the next morning just to be sure infection didn't set in. He was totally fine.