• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

sydneytiel

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Dana
Hii! I'm new to the site (so I hope I'm posting this in the right section hahaha) and I would like to ask some advice:

I got my first cockatiel ever a month ago, she (I think it's a she) spends most of her time outside her cage, loves to cuddle and always wants to be with me. Should I get her a friend? I started thinking about it mostly because I wouldn't like being isolated from other humans all my life, and because in a few months I'll start college and if she has a friend she won't be lonely while I'm not home. Also, I think that if I'm going to get another one it should be sooner rather than later because she is still very young, so they would get along easier I think . I would buy a hand-fed one, just like her.
On the other hand it scares me that we lose the bond we share and that the new one won't be as close with me as she is. Does that always happen or is there a way that it can be avoided?

Any advice will be really helpful! Thank you!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Dana! :starshower1:

A friend for your bird would be nice, just remember that if they don´t get on well, they will need to be housed separately, so ultimately you must want a second bird for you as well as for your bird.
On the other hand it scares me that we lose the bond we share and that the new one won't be as close with me as she is.
You may not be as close in the future if your bird bonds with another bird, but if you have a good relationship, that trust will always be there as long as you dedicate time to the birds. (you may find them a little less willing to engage with you while they are hormonal, but this sometimes happens with single birds too).

winniezon

Jogging around the block
hello i had two cockatiels and it just means for me twice as much love. if yours is a girl i would not get another girl :laugh: :p :joyful:

sydneytiel

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Dana
Thank you both! I will indeed get her a friend

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think you should only get another bird if you want one. There is no guarantee that your two birds will get along, but even if they have to be caged separately, they will enjoy having each other near when you are not home. Make sure you give them each one on one time so your bond will stay strong.