• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

safe heating for bird room??

chondlr

Moving in
Real Name
Nick
It’s been getting really chilly this winter more so then before so for the first time I’ve been looking into getting a indoor heater.

currently thinking of this one as I saw these electric oil heaters in other threads on bird safe heating systems.

I have a crimson belly conure whose cage is in my bedroom where the heater would be. I’m not really asking for the-more obvious risk of having a heater on when he is out of cage/flying but if anyone had information on if there was any potential fumes / coating etc that could be risk?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You will need to run it (out in the garage or at someone else’s home) on the highest setting for at least 24 hrs before it stops smelling if the ones I got about 3 years are anything to go by.

chondlr

Moving in
Real Name
Nick
You will need to run it (out in the garage or at someone else’s home) on the highest setting for at least 24 hrs before it stops smelling if the ones I got about 3 years are anything to go by.
Is that to burn off any potential teflon or other non-stick coatings on the coils? When researching I kept seeing conflicting information that varied between it being best to run them and evaporate any gases before bringing them inside as you said while other places claim its fine as the fumes (at least w/ Teflon) only emit at certain temperatures (~200 celcius and above) so I was worried that it potentially wouldn't be hot enough to burn off.

Is 24 hours long enough to season? I saw some other threads where people used a regiment of 3 hours each day for a week.

Glad there are forums like this to find information. I'm pretty anxious generally but especially bringing anything new into the home is so bloody stressful :ohdrama:

Thank you for the response!

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Lots of things are toxic to birds, so definitely best to check first. I have a Pelonis, which is similar to the DeLonghi. These heaters shouldn't have any Teflon. Yes they say that it has to be hot enough to release Teflon particles into the air, but always better to err on caution. I don't let my birds near the kitchen and seldom use nonstick cookware anymore, and definitely not if I'm cooking something for them. I also just have a style of apartment that the kitchen is way far away from our living space. I'm not sure what the initial odor is from with the heaters but mine definitely had an odor at first.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Teflon) only emit at certain temperatures (~200 celcius and above)
More accurate temperaure information...

Even if there's no Teflon in that heater or other appliances, the recommendation to run them in a separate air space (outdoors) is to allow any chemicals from the manufacturing process to dissipate.

It’s been getting really chilly this winter... I have a crimson belly conure whose cage is in my bedroom where the heater would be
What's the temperature in your bedroom?
I always recommend using a simple thermometer in the bird's immediate environment to confirm whether there's an actual problem that needs fixing.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Is that to burn off any potential teflon or other non-stick coatings on the coils? When researching I kept seeing conflicting information that varied between it being best to run them and evaporate any gases before bringing them inside as you said while other places claim its fine as the fumes (at least w/ Teflon) only emit at certain temperatures (~200 celcius and above) so I was worried that it potentially wouldn't be hot enough to burn off.

Is 24 hours long enough to season? I saw some other threads where people used a regiment of 3 hours each day for a week.

Glad there are forums like this to find information. I'm pretty anxious generally but especially bringing anything new into the home is so bloody stressful :ohdrama:

Thank you for the response!
24 hours may not be enough, you may need to run it longer but that’s something you’ll have to work out with your particular heater. I find almost all new things have a terrible chemical smell so everything gets opened and used or stored outside till it stops smelling weird.