• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe cage for an umbrella cockatoo

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Good evening,

I just got a re home adult cockatoo. I have noticed that she is a chewer and bites the bottom bars of the cage when I start to cover her cage at night . The cage that I have is the brand A&E on this link This is my cage . Can anyone recommend a safe cage. My baby cockatoo recently died of copper metal toxicity. I don’t want to go through the same situation again. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
@Pixiebeak
@Mizzely
@BrianB

thank you

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
For a cockatoo that is chewing on bars, I would go to stainless steel. That way there isn't power coating to remove.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd look into getting a stainless steel cage or cages that are really heavily build to be safe. I'd look into Expandable Habitats and Natural Inspirations Parrot Cages.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
I'd look into getting a stainless steel cage or cages that are really heavily build to be safe. I'd look into Expandable Habitats and Natural Inspirations Parrot Cages.
Do you know any of any good websites?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Those are the sites/brands. I can't post them on my phone unfortunately i have issues linking stuff but if you type those in google they should come up. Natural Inspirations has a FB page they post on it regularly.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have to agree with the others. The cage itself is fine, but if you've got a chewer like that, then a stainless steel cage is the best bet. You might look at A&E Cage company. It's unfortunate that the stainless ones are so expensive, but they do last forever.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They are a distributor, don't think they manufacturer any brands themselves, but I could be wrong.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Some of the more popular brands are A&E, Prevue, HQ, and King's.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Hi I have order a stainless steel cage. It won’t get here until Sunday night or sometime next week ☹. My cage is only 6 month old and it is not rusted but the paint is off on some of the bars. Should I be concerned should put her in her acrylic carrier in the mean time?

tug99

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Robert
Can you please recommend a brand?
Hi, I lost Louie my blue fronted amazon on July 15 after having him for 38 years. After having tried four different cages that all rusted and were hard to clean I found a stainless steel cage that is made in the U.S.A. from 304 stainless steel. I have the Cockatoo model and after having it for 15 years there is not a spot of rust on it, it looks like new. They are pricy($3780), but it will last forever. I put the company link below. The owner of the company(Carmen) is very nice and knowledgeable about exotic birds. I powerwashed my cage and put it in the garage until I make up my mind to get another bird or sell it. Hope this helps.

Welcome to Animal Environments

Best,
Robert

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Centurion Cages in Kansas makes their own quality cages.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Prevue is not a good brand for large parrots...they cater more to the smaller birds who can't do as much damage. We have been updatng all our cages to Expandable Habitat cages (expandablehabitats.com) but I think they are currently not taking any new orders right now and haven't for at least a year or two. I would only consider Kings cages in SS for a Cockatoo. I don't know anything about Natural Inspirations but if you google it, you should find some information on them.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I'm not sure if Kings still sells cages- But i believe they have HQ stainless steel cages.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm not sure if Kings still sells cages- But i believe they have HQ stainless steel cages.
Kings still sell SS cages but I know some models are out of stock.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Hi, I lost Louie my blue fronted amazon on July 15 after having him for 38 years. After having tried four different cages that all rusted and were hard to clean I found a stainless steel cage that is made in the U.S.A. from 304 stainless steel. I have the Cockatoo model and after having it for 15 years there is not a spot of rust on it, it looks like new. They are pricy($3780), but it will last forever. I put the company link below. The owner of the company(Carmen) is very nice and knowledgeable about exotic birds. I powerwashed my cage and put it in the garage until I make up my mind to get another bird or sell it. Hope this helps.

Welcome to Animal Environments

Best,
Robert
Thank you so so much for this link