• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

River

peggopanic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy Wang
I was thinking of attaching a smaller travel cage to like a base of a stroller for walks. Just offering is being really helpful to be less frustrated for sure! We're doing a little target training and its been going well! Thank you for reading and your post!
That’s a good idea that can work! Neither of mine can fly (my goffins is slowly growing his final wing feathers from whenever he was clipped, he should be fully flighted by next year) so I’m able to take them out without concern. The goffins, however, I’ll need a harness soon (I’m already imagining the sheer terror and rejection lol).

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
She is most DEFINITELY feeling better. Her blood panels are tomorrow so we will know for sure hopefully theyre back to normal!

She is just NOT into me. I sit in her room for a good 2-3 hours a day just doin stuff on the floor and now that she's been confirmed disease free shes beenout. Lately when I let her out of her cage in the morning she's been lunging at me and biting the cage bars. It used to be that if I offered my shoulder instead of my arms she'd happily climb on but now shes just constantly lunging at me, when i put food in her bowl, when i get near her in any way, i have been target training her and she had been doing very good but now she just lunges at me with that too. The other day i gave her an almond and she took it and then quickly while holding it in her mouth tried to bite my hand.

She's been AMAZING at taking her medicine. We say "medicine" and she crawls up on her rope perch and puts her beak around the syringe! Then we immediately give her a big nut.

She really really loves my dad, if he walks in the room she'll start doing a little dance, she steps up really easily for him and never has even lunged at him. Even when i first brought her home when he first came out to help me her eyes pinned and she made little noises and as soon as she got out of her travel cage she wanted to step up on him.

I'm trying my best with her but its definitely getting harder.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Just remember it takes lots of time and even more patience with a macaw. You don't even know River's background, so you don't have a hint of what to expect.

Did I say PATIENCE?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Are birds only hormonal in the Spring or could that be a factor?

Just remember it takes lots of time and even more patience with a macaw. Did I say PATIENCE?
I don't speak for @Miss Annamarie, but gosh I think we all need to be reminded of that sometimes, with any species. I know I'm guilty no matter how hard I try. It's hard when they choose someone else.

I can't imagine how much harder it could be not knowing anything about their past. Double hugs for you, @Miss Annamarie :hug8::hug8: You've got this.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Forgive me for being off topic, but I love your bright, clear lighting in this room! I don't know if it's the kind of bulbs in the new place or the beige walls, but every picture I take seems yellowish. May I ask what you use?

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Forgive me for being off topic, but I love your bright, clear lighting in this room! I don't know if it's the kind of bulbs in the new place or the beige walls, but every picture I take seems yellowish. May I ask what you use?
This picture was taken in the 3 season room, so just pure sunlight. Maybe you could try white LEDs?

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Are birds only hormonal in the Spring or could that be a factor?

I don't speak for @Miss Annamarie, but gosh I think we all need to be reminded of that sometimes, with any species. I know I'm guilty no matter how hard I try. It's hard when they choose someone else.

I can't imagine how much harder it could be not knowing anything about their past. Double hugs for you, @Miss Annamarie :hug8::hug8: You've got this.
Thank you for your encouragement!

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Just remember it takes lots of time and even more patience with a macaw. You don't even know River's background, so you don't have a hint of what to expect.

Did I say PATIENCE?
She's gonna be training me more than me training her I imagine!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
This picture was taken in the 3 season room, so just pure sunlight. Maybe you could try white LEDs?
I will say Thank You politely and try not to let my envy that you have a 3 season room show. :angel2: Lucky you and lucky Miss River!

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Hi! I need to make her 3rd blood panel appt. But she seems so much healthier since she's had medicine, you can just totally tell. She's been getting showers and she seems to have a love hate relationship with them. She's been doing better with me but is still obsessed with my dad. When I wake her up in the morning she steps up right away! Everyday around 6pm (5 now since time change) she screams bloody murder for like a good 5 minutes straight. I don't mind it at all, it's just funny how on time she is everyday. She's a pro at putting herself to bed as soon as it gets dark and all we have to do is close her cage for her. It still seems like she isnt preening her tail feathers but she hasn't let me get up close and personal enough with her to check.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Love this girl!! She's only lunged at me once in the past week, I think she's benefited SO SO much from finally getting human interaction the past couple months. Me and her have a little routine of me waking her up, tapping on her door, her climbing up on the door and then stepping up to come out!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
What a wonderful story! Sounds like the two of you are doing well. She looks very sweet :swoon:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your River girl sounds like a sweetheart who is learning she's in a good place :)

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
She let me give her pets/scratches today!!! For like 5 minutes straight!! She was closing her eyes and making little noises and everything. Right after that she whipped off my glasses with her foot and almost broke them by chewing on them :lol: shes messing with my hair now