• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

River

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Could she just not like me automatically since I made her stay in a bumpy car for 6 hours and then shoved her into a new situation so I'll have to work harder? Or do you think this is just how she is right now?
Some birds are just drawn to certain people, we never know why. It's often the one that shows them the least attention too!
I'd say you're doing fine, don't force yourself on her, go slow and easy.
IMO the best way is finding something she likes that comes from you.
whether it's treats, fun, scritching, or just a nice chat.
Your Dad may also fill a need in her, altogether different than the relationship you forge.

I oftentimes find that asking VS demanding, gets me better results from Chaos (my GW).
He likes making the choice to do what I ask. If he refuses, I just walk away and try again later, or leave it be.
I also find sitting on the floor doing something he finds fascinating and will always venture down.

Have any toys to make? Do it on the floor (or a table) near her and see if he is interested.
Engaging her interest is good. Making her connect is not.
Allow her to make the choice to engage with you.

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Some birds are just drawn to certain people, we never know why. It's often the one that shows them the least attention too!
I'd say you're doing fine, don't force yourself on her, go slow and easy.
IMO the best way is finding something she likes that comes from you.
whether it's treats, fun, scritching, or just a nice chat.
Your Dad may also fill a need in her, altogether different than the relationship you forge.

I oftentimes find that asking VS demanding, gets me better results from Chaos (my GW).
He likes making the choice to do what I ask. If he refuses, I just walk away and try again later, or leave it be.
I also find sitting on the floor doing something he finds fascinating and will always venture down.
Have any toys to make? Do it on the floor (or a table) near him and see if he is interested.

Engaging his interest is good. Making him connect is not.
Allow him to make the choice to engage with you.

Oops...sorry for the he's, I forget he is a 'she'.
Thank you!! This is SUPER helpful!

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
We got the antibiotics today, we are trying to get it done without toweling her so the relationship isnt worse than it already is. She opened her mouth and we immediately just pushed it in and gave a nut right away but I'm sure she'll be wary of the syringe now, she hated the taste.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
We got the antibiotics today, we are trying to get it done without toweling her so the relationship isnt worse than it already is. She opened her mouth and we immediately just pushed it in and gave a nut right away but I'm sure she'll be wary of the syringe now, she hated the taste.
Sorry if I missed sometjing, but how long does this have to do on for? Sounds like you're doing good so far. Good luck with it!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
She'll be feeling 100% better in no time, all thanks to you. Once this is over, she'll be too busy feeling great to remember any nasty medicine. ;)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can you try adding something strong tasting and yummy (fruit juice for example) in the syringe before the meds so the last bit of the liquid she gets from the syringe is the yummy taste? I used to do this with my dog whenever he needed medication from a syringe and it made life so much easier for me.
Or you could do random doses of good stuff through the day so she is never sure which one is going to be the yucky one.
The other thing I can think of is contacting the pharmacy and seeing if they can add a flavor to the meds that she likes.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Can you try adding something strong tasting and yummy (fruit juice for example) in the syringe before the meds so the last bit of the liquid she gets from the syringe is the yummy taste? I used to do this with my dog whenever he needed medication from a syringe and it made life so much easier for me.
Or you could do random doses of good stuff through the day so she is never sure which one is going to be the yucky one.
The other thing I can think of is contacting the pharmacy and seeing if they can add a flavor to the meds that she likes.
Thank you! I'm gonna try adding a little something after the meds in the syringe and give her some yummy doses during the day.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
she's finally eating more than one or two pellets! She's absolutely adoring cantaloupe especially so far. She's been throwing out most of the veggies, but she liked the Serrano pepper, she didn't like kale or bell peppers at all so far, she wouldn't even take a bite of those. She seemed to like apple and brocolli! She's eating a bit of the pellets too!

She stepped up TWICE for me today! She was really excited everytime I came into her room and raised her foot to step up! She shoulder rushed both time which was a little scary for me, but she bobbed her head a little when I sang to her. She likes getting real close to your face and going "bubbabubba"

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
she's finally eating more than one or two pellets! She's absolutely adoring cantaloupe especially so far. She's been throwing out most of the veggies, but she liked the Serrano pepper, she didn't like kale or bell peppers at all so far, she wouldn't even take a bite of those. She seemed to like apple and brocolli! She's eating a bit of the pellets too!

She stepped up TWICE for me today! She was really excited everytime I came into her room and raised her foot to step up! She shoulder rushed both time which was a little scary for me, but she bobbed her head a little when I sang to her. She likes getting real close to your face and going "bubbabubba"
Have you tried chilli peppers? Mine seem to like those

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If there’s something Burt refuses to touch or he only touches it to throw it on the floor then I will often place a big chunk of that food on top of his cage when he’s locked in there. He usually ends up either curious or wanting it moved so he will break chunks off it to move it and finally get a proper taste. He has ended up liking /accepting a few different foods that I could not get him to try before doing this.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If there’s something Burt refuses to touch or he only touches it to throw it on the floor then I will often place a big chunk of that food on top of his cage when he’s locked in there. He usually ends up either curious or wanting it moved so he will break chunks off it to move it and finally get a proper taste. He has ended up liking /accepting a few different foods that I could not get him to try before doing this.
What a great idea! Chaos also won't allow anything to sit atop his cage when he's inside.
Broccoli on the roof? :laugh: Just can't get any of them to eat broccoli!

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
You're a genius! I'm so glad I have this thread for all the advice!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How is she doing with meds and foods? Has she settled in well and is she running the house yet lol?

peggopanic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy Wang
I just read the story from April til now and boy, what a journey! River is beautiful! I hope you’lol be taking her out for some nice long walks (safely, of course) ;) I also want to second the offer vs demand. I’m currently working my own second rescue and boy, Jeff sure thinks everything is on HIS terms. While I currently indeed am his servant/butler/slave, it won’t be forever! Anyway the ‘offer’ definitely helped me be less frustrated. Instead of standing there for 5 minutes coaxing for a step up, I just leave the room and continue as normal. It’s still very early days, I was heading to Pamela Clark but after reading this, it reminded me of how long it can take for these feather babies to trust us and accept us more readily. It looks like you’re doing a swell job and she’s liking you too! :heart:

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
How is she doing with meds and foods? Has she settled in well and is she running the house yet lol?
:rofl: Definitely running the house! We used your suggestion of random shots of apple juice during the day and its been going really well! She's been eating about 80% of her breakfast fruit and veggies. But not really touching pellets anymore.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I just read the story from April til now and boy, what a journey! River is beautiful! I hope you’lol be taking her out for some nice long walks (safely, of course) ;) I also want to second the offer vs demand. I’m currently working my own second rescue and boy, Jeff sure thinks everything is on HIS terms. While I currently indeed am his servant/butler/slave, it won’t be forever! Anyway the ‘offer’ definitely helped me be less frustrated. Instead of standing there for 5 minutes coaxing for a step up, I just leave the room and continue as normal. It’s still very early days, I was heading to Pamela Clark but after reading this, it reminded me of how long it can take for these feather babies to trust us and accept us more readily. It looks like you’re doing a swell job and she’s liking you too! :heart:
I was thinking of attaching a smaller travel cage to like a base of a stroller for walks. Just offering is being really helpful to be less frustrated for sure! We're doing a little target training and its been going well! Thank you for reading and your post!