• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

River

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Does anyone have any tips on becoming more confident with her besides just getting to know her better? She knows for sure I'm intimidated when I go to have her step up.

I took her to the shelter after her vet appt to get her nails clipped and to meet Candi and she had no problem with her at all and I was absolutely amazed. I want to be like that.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
The biggest thing is just getting used to their body language, I think. Will she step up onto a perch?
No she won't step up onto anything right away, it's all been on her time. It usually takes me like 10 minutes to get her up so far.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
For my Hahns (who was phobic of everything and I was scared of her when she came home :lol:), it was just a lot of letting her lead me. There were some nights she spent sleeping on top of her cage because I didn't want to push her too much. It does get easier :) Macaws usually are pretty good at telling you what they like and don't like ;)

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So beautiful! I love Maccaws, but I am intimidated by the size. It's why I've never considered adopting one.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
For my Hahns (who was phobic of everything and I was scared of her when she came home :lol:), it was just a lot of letting her lead me. There were some nights she spent sleeping on top of her cage because I didn't want to push her too much. It does get easier :) Macaws usually are pretty good at telling you what they like and don't like ;)
Thank you so much!! This is super reassuring for me!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Remember that you went from lovebird to ekkie... Now just ekkie to Mac! Deep easy breaths, and leap of faith and trust. She's going to tell you if she doesn't want something. Trust yourself, and you're half way there.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
So, the vet just called with blood test results. Her white blood cell count is 3x higher than what he'd like to see them at and the liver enzymes are super high as well. He says she has an infection in her liver and he prescribed an antibiotic for her. Hopefully it'll help stuff clear up.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
So, the vet just called with blood test results. Her white blood cell count is 3x higher than what he'd like to see them at and the liver enzymes are super high as well. He says she has an infection in her liver and he prescribed an antibiotic for her. Hopefully it'll help stuff clear up.
Get well soon cutie!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Crash course in medicating big bird in 3.... 2....

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I finally got bit! She bit my thumb when i tried to get her to step off my dad (which is completely my fault and i pushed her current limits) it wasnt too bad but i definitely still feel it! She really likes my dad so far. The second he came in to meet her on sunday her eyes pinned and she stepped right up for him and made little noises. It's gonna be some work between me and her. She's mainly been staying in her cage, I've been giving her a nut everytime i come in and hang out with her. She seems to really like brazil nuts. Whenever we end up leaving the room besides at bedtime she SCREAMS very loud but I was expecting the volume. It freaks out Mel but I think she's a lot more comfortable with it than yesterday.

Could she just not like me automatically since I made her stay in a bumpy car for 6 hours and then shoved her into a new situation so I'll have to work harder? Or do you think this is just how she is right now?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Glad to hear she left you with your thumb Lol. Sounds like you got warned and heard the message!
Hopefully you’ll both find your rhythm soon.