• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Rescued pair of canary’s - misc questions

Anayevs

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Anastasiya
Hi all, I am very new to this world so thank you for any help and patience as I learn up as much as I can. My grandfather had 2 canary’s for about a year but can no longer take care of them so I took them in. I’m hoping I can post what I’ve done and get opinions/suggestions on how to make them happier.

Their cage was a mess so I cleaned it up by washing everything in hot soapy water, rinsing, soaking in a bleach solution for a few minutes, then rinsing heavily and washing with soap again. I rinsed it all very well afterwards and let it dry. I lined the cage bottom with paper towel.

For food I used the last of an expired bag of Zupreem pellets and a bit of kaytee seed mix, along with fresh apples, lettuce, cucumber, and bell pepper. We went to a local bird shop and got some of their house canary seed mix so I will be using that mixed with the kaytee for now.

I also got some millet, a wood perch (they only had dowels which I know aren’t the best), a swing, and a toy. The shop offers free nail trims so I will be bringing them both by soon to get that taken care of.

Does anyone know what variety these are? They both have leg bands, from what I can tell the pink one is female (left leg) and the red is male (right leg) but I can’t tell what the markings on the male band mean - they say “M003”, any ideas? The female is quite a bit larger than the male, is that normal? One of them is also making a clicking noise which I am afraid might be air sac mites, but it isn’t always and both their breathing seems normal. I usually hear it when they’re by their mirror toy and it sounds similar to when they crack open their seeds. Could this be anything other than mites? Lastly, I am planning on replacing the dowels with different perches soon, but is there anything else that could be improved? I would love to create the best home for them. Thank you again for anyone that read though this all!

Attachments

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome! They’re beautiful. Great looking cage too. :)

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What beautiful, sweet little birds! I'm afraid I don't have any experience with canaries, but others will be along. Welcome!

Anayevs

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Anastasiya
Thank you all for your warm welcome!

One update:
They have been in the same cage since we brought them home as that is how they were housed at my grandparents but last night the male got very aggressive and was non stop chasing the female, enough to make us worry. While we were watching them the male started attacking the female by biting and scratching at her so we removed the female to their travel enclosure (the male was too hard to catch and we did not want to stress them out more) overnight. I also removed the mirror toy as he kept poking at it after all this. Is it safe to try to put her back in today? She has been trying to get to him and he’s been singing for her. I know they get rowdy around mating season but I thought it was a bit early for that.