• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Reinsurance of unwanted behavior now that he can fly....Advice?

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
So when I first got Valentine RB2 he had this nasty habit of going into shoulders and biting ears. I think his first owner allowed him to do it to be honest...

It took me a month or so, but the behavior went away. I would remove him, and. place him on the floor for a moment . He learned pretty quickly that if he wanted to be with me, he couldn't do that.

That was in October of last year..?

About a month and a half ago he began molting out his clipped feathers ( from old owner- I don't believe in clipping). He can fly! Which is wonderful, I love seeing my birds fly... And he flys to me which is a really sweet thing BUT.... For what ever reason his newborn flight has awakened his urge to climb up/ fly onto my shoulder and nip my ears and shriek his little head off. He will also rub his beak all over my shoulder and try to preen my hair ( I've had the fleeting thought maybe he's trying to 'preen' my ear..? But I don't think so lol) . I don't mind the screaming, or any of the other things and if it wasn't for the biting I wouldn't mind... But he DOES bite, and I'm not allowing that. He will have to earn his way to my shoulder once I trust him enough not to chomp my ear. I'm pretty sure this is dominance thing or him asserting himself. He seems to be in love with me, and wants to make it very clear I belong to him.

I've been taking him off my shoulder and placing him on the couch , standing up and walking away with my back turned. It WAS working for a while, up until a few days ago. He'd get frustrated at me not being there and once i turned back he wouldn't do it again ( instead he would make say 'hiiii/heyyy' in the squeakiest tone and push his head into my hands) Now he is flying to me because he can and he wants me. And since my shoulder is the easiest thing to grab... He goes to my shoulder. Usually when he flys to me he doesn't bite, but it's still not a behavior I want.

I'm a bit ashamed to admit I think I inaverdantly encoruaged the behavior. When he gets scared he will fly up and hide behind my head.. And I let him for a while.. Also when he gets up there it can be hard to get him off if I don't have the T-perch nearby because he climbs nearly all the way down my back to avoid stepping up... So it almost became a game to him. ( that at least I can improve on by keeping the T-perch closer to my person... Lol..)

Ugh. Should I keep doing what I'm doing? Just keep repeating? Is there anything else I should try? I'm more concerned that I'm not doing the right thing...

.. In all honesty it's not a huge deal. But if I can stop it sooner than later I'd really like it haha. Hoping you guys might have advice..?

I do love the pink brat :) just sometimes... UGH! :hehe:

For reference, if it helps, he turned a year in February. He's still young. I got him from his first owner at 6/7 months when she couldn't keep him any longer. I'll answer any questions if it helps !

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
darn! I just saw that autocorrect changed my title... It was supposed to say resurgence... Could an moderator fix that for me..?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
When the birds are out, my T stick is either in my hand or within instant reach. That's the shoulder. No where else.

Now that your bird has wings, this is the true character of the bird. Your bird was handicapped until now.

Now he is flying to me because he can and he wants me. And since my shoulder is the easiest thing to grab... He goes to my shoulder. Usually when he flys to me he doesn't bite, but it's still not a behavior I want.
I use the "duck" method (if I don't have the stick). You avoid him landing on you by ducking. Forces them to land somewhere else. Same situation as the stick. Instead of ducking, up goes the stick. The options are they can land on the stick or go somewhere else.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm having sort of the same issue, though my bird is smaller, but it's really not fun at all.

I've tried the duck method but my bird flies too well and most of the time still manages to land on me. I have been putting a pillow up in the air when he flies and that sends him back but I don't always grab the pillow in time.

I think I'll try the tstick next. Just wanted to reply to let you know you're not alone and so I can follow your thread too...

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I am going to wear an Evil Knievel helmet when Joey get flighted.