• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

quick, help me out before we clip his wings!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I agree with you @birdashes . We should've tried harder and earlier on to get his mom to come to the board.

I don't know about you, but I would not have pushed it too many times if my mom was saying no. I'd have been afraid she might get rid of the bird altogether.

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
I lurk all the time on AA rather than post, usually because people have provided great advice - probably better than I can haha :) - already and I don't have the time but I feel the need to say something.

Just saw this thread and... From what OP has said, it seems that OP is a minor. I feel like some posters are being little harsh on @Hana Baig which I feel is not warranted. Making them feel bad isn't really going to do anything at this point.. We should educate them and move forward.

I do not agree AT ALL with clipping this birds wings, there are always other alternatives , however , I think we should account for the fact that OP is a minor and also their mother made the final say. I'm not arguing that good feedback was made ( which was!) but perhaps it could have been made a bit gentler....

For the future I really think OP's mom needs to do some research into this.. Or like suggested, have mom read the posts to understand. I think OP understands that flight is important . We might just be preaching to the choir.

Not trying to ruffle feathers but my two cents..
Thank you for understanding that this isn't my decision, yes I am still a minor and I thought I would have more of a say in this decision, but my mom did what she thought was right and well whats done is done unfortunately :sad1:, surprisingly Dante and I have become closer than ever! we clipped them so he would only be able to fly a little bit, so he isn't completely unable to fly. Thank you all for the advice anyways.

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
I agree with you @birdashes . We should've tried harder and earlier on to get his mom to come to the board.

I don't know about you, but I would not have pushed it too many times if my mom was saying no. I'd have been afraid she might get rid of the bird altogether.
She had considered it before which made me really upset, I love Dante. Thankfully with you guy's advice I convinced her it was only hormones and all apart of him growing up.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
How is he doing today? Any issues you still need help with?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Good to hear that he is doing well!

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Also thank you for all the help you have given me now and in the past, I really appreciate it.
Thank you, Hana Baig, for being a young lady who is mature enough to handle the advice, suggestions, constructive criticism (some a bit harsh) of the older,
"untrustworthy bcuz we're over 30" generation. Rather than stomp off the Avenue angrily, as a lot of young people might have, you took what you could from everyone's opinions. I have no doubt that you love Dante. Please ask your mother to read these posts. Or, ask her if the two of you can sit down and talk seriously about the bird situation. No whining, no anger, no blaming. Tell her honestly how you feel about Dante (and birds in general). Share with her the knowledge you possess regarding birds and their behavior. This way she will have a better idea of what to expect. And maybe a little glimmer of why you love birds will spark in her. Listen to her concerns as well. You've conducted yourself like a grown up here on the Avenue, so do the same with her. Give her the chance to come to love birds, too!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Alien J gave wonderfull suggestions and I really agree with her. I am just 17 and I got my first bird when I was I think 12, so I understand your struggle! Though my mother was like do what you want as long as I am not bothered, later I got issues about the mess and noise, but everything worked out fine for me and I am confident you can fix Something with your mother that works for the three of you:)

Ps also we would love seeing pictures of your cutie!

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
Thank you, Hana Baig, for being a young lady who is mature enough to handle the advice, suggestions, constructive criticism (some a bit harsh) of the older,
"untrustworthy bcuz we're over 30" generation. Rather than stomp off the Avenue angrily, as a lot of young people might have, you took what you could from everyone's opinions. I have no doubt that you love Dante. Please ask your mother to read these posts. Or, ask her if the two of you can sit down and talk seriously about the bird situation. No whining, no anger, no blaming. Tell her honestly how you feel about Dante (and birds in general). Share with her the knowledge you possess regarding birds and their behavior. This way she will have a better idea of what to expect. And maybe a little glimmer of why you love birds will spark in her. Listen to her concerns as well. You've conducted yourself like a grown up here on the Avenue, so do the same with her. Give her the chance to come to love birds, too!
I see why everyone got upset when they heard he got his wings clipped, birds are meant to be free and fly and sing to their hearts content. I will find the time to show her all these posts, and give her a little bit more of my perspective on what I think is best for him :)

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
Alien J gave wonderfull suggestions and I really agree with her. I am just 17 and I got my first bird when I was I think 12, so I understand your struggle! Though my mother was like do what you want as long as I am not bothered, later I got issues about the mess and noise, but everything worked out fine for me and I am confident you can fix Something with your mother that works for the three of you:)

Ps also we would love seeing pictures of your cutie!
I will definitely posts pictures, once I figure out how :laughing2:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Haha awesome, Dante(looove his name btw!) is lucky to be with you, I am sure you Will do everything you can to give him the best life possible:)