• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

quick, help me out before we clip his wings!

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
As the title says, my bird Dante can now full on fly. when we got him at 2 months old, he could only glide but last month he was able to actually fly. Now he's flying around acting a bit aggressive like he owns the place, and chirping like crazy! The aggression was temporary and he's being a little less vicious. But the non stop chirping hasn't stopped, before he would quietly wait for me to wake up by his food, now that he can fly more, he's waking everyone up 1st thing in the morning. My mom is tired of it so we're going to clip his wings, but I'm not sure if its the wings changing his attitude.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I think it's breeding season for a lot of birds right now and that may be the reason for the extra noise and attitude. I was so frustrated yesyerday with my bird that I fantasized about clipping his wings too. But I know how unhappy he would be so that's not an option for me, unfortunately. Please give your bird a little time to work through this. Read up on reducing hormones. There are things you can do like
Increasing his sleep time, not allowing access to nesting sights,etc..

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Is he in a seperate room when he sleeps? Does he sleep covered? Is the room he sleeps in very dark until you want him up? These would all be helpful in keeping him quiet in the morning.

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
Is he in a seperate room when he sleeps? Does he sleep covered? Is the room he sleeps in very dark until you want him up? These would all be helpful in keeping him quiet in the morning.
Yes that's how it's always been, he sleeps in the living room and we would close all the blinds so its dark until we want him up but lately he's been just chirping even though the blinds are closed

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I kind of had a similar issue where the birds wouldn't let me sleep in on days off. So I started cheating. The night before I get their veggies and fresh food ready in their bowls and put in fridge. Then I set my alarm for like 6:30 and get up and uncover them and give them food. Their lights go on like at 7:30. This way I beat them to waking up so that when they wake up they have all their food ready for them. Yea ya have to wake early but you can go back to sleep.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
You have had this problem for a while now and you also have several threads about him being aggressive.
John did have a solution for you: Please Help Me! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
I will definitely consider giving my bird a companion!
But you didn't?
So your solution now is to clip his wings? To do that will not help, that will only make him helplessness, is that what you want?
And this bird have been biting people since he was younger then 2 months old when he couldn't fly, so why would that help now?

I will say that to stop being selfish and getting him a equal friend will solve most of your problems.
And the best part is that he will be so happy.
The joy of having two knowing that they always will have each other is something only pure love can feel. (when you love someone for their sake)

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
Look If it were up to me i would, i was trying to convince my mom to get him a companion, and i tried to convince her to not clip his wings. Theres only so much i could have done

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Did you show her these posts? We are experienced parrot owners. I know as a child my parents would probably have listened to the advice of other adults.

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
Did you show her these posts? We are experienced parrot owners. I know as a child my parents would probably have listened to the advice of other adults.
I didn't show her the post, maybe that would've made her change her mind

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Please don't clip him. A lot of birds will get a little feisty when they regain flight. Find ways to divert the energy with interesting and fun play stands with toys and treats.

Good luck.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Elroy is right. Do you want a bird or a dependent, helpless feathered decoration? Please consider the birds needs.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
How is clipping wings going to stop a bird from chirping? <dumbfounded>

Look If it were up to me i would, i was trying to convince my mom to get him a companion, and i tried to convince her to not clip his wings. Theres only so much i could have done
So it's done.

Tell Dante I'm sorry.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
it's too late, from the sound of it. he's already been clipped.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Clipping wings will only make him louder not quieter.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
So how did the morning go? Did he chirp and wake everyone up? Or was he a quiet sad depressed bird?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yes please update us, Maybe we can still help with Something even though he had already been Clipped, Sadly.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Clipping wings does not stop chirping. He wants to wake up at a certain time. There’s nothing to be done about that past dark covers and being consistent. He’s a bird; he doesn’t want to sleep all day.

My birds don’t let me sleep past 8 or 9 (latest) on the weekend. So I know I can’t stay up too late if I want 8 hours of sleep. I don’t clip their wings just because they start calling from 8-9. I get up and attend to them.

Your lovebird being more sassy and aggressive is him becoming a more mature and confident young bird. Working on problematic aggression and/or boundaries will not happen via punishment by clipping his wings. It’s your job to be your bird’s advocate, so please don’t plead helplessness when it comes to what you allow other people to do to him. It’s your job to protect him and take care of him.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Fluffypoptarts is so right, it is just part of living with birds, Henkie Will wake me up every morning if I am not awake yet. He Will fly to my bed and just Chirp in my face till I get up. Sometimes he cuddles a bit so I stay in my bed a little longer. To me there is no better way of walking up to the calls of my birdies most Days.

Sometimes there is just a week in which they are louder then usual. Maybe that is what is going on.
Your mother could use ear plugs if she can't stand the noise.

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
I lurk all the time on AA rather than post, usually because people have provided great advice - probably better than I can haha :) - already and I don't have the time but I feel the need to say something.

Just saw this thread and... From what OP has said, it seems that OP is a minor. I feel like some posters are being little harsh on @Hana Baig which I feel is not warranted. Making them feel bad isn't really going to do anything at this point.. We should educate them and move forward.

I do not agree AT ALL with clipping this birds wings, there are always other alternatives , however , I think we should account for the fact that OP is a minor and also their mother made the final say. I'm not arguing that good feedback was made ( which was!) but perhaps it could have been made a bit gentler....

For the future I really think OP's mom needs to do some research into this.. Or like suggested, have mom read the posts to understand. I think OP understands that flight is important . We might just be preaching to the choir.

Not trying to ruffle feathers but my two cents..