• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question on Out-of-cage Time

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Not sure if this is the right sub-forum so feel free to move my thread :)

I keep hearing that regarding out-of-cage time quality is more important than quantity, but I still sometimes worry.

Usually on weekdays Charlie will get 2-3 hours out of his cage either hanging out with me on my shoulder/the couch or on his cage/playstand, training, doing stuff around the house while he's on my shoulder or around, playing games, cuddling, etc. We spend more time together on weekends, of course.

But today both my mom and I were out all day for around 12 hours so when we came back home Charlie was sleeping. This is extremely rare but there is also few other cases where I will come back and it's dark so Charlie is sleeping since he follows the sun. It is around 7 pm so the sun is already down in winter but he usually goes to bed around 8-9. In these situations I always wonder if I should take him out to hang out and get his 2-3 hours of out-of-cage time or let him sleep and wait until the morning.

Usually I will at least tell him hi, change his water, check his food and change it if needed, spot clean the cage if I see any poops anywhere else than on the paper, take him out to flap his wings and get a few cuddles, then give him his few sips of water before bed and then ni ni we go. This takes around 30 minutes. I feel like if I let him out for longer he might get a little grumpy but also he could just hang out of my shoulder or the couch and preen, just play less.

Should this be enough and should I let him sleep, or should I take him out longer (1 hour+) for his out-of-cage time he missed during the day?

Thank you in advance for your answers :)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
That "time scenario" happens to me regular and I plan these days differently.
First I have daylight lamps (on timers) so that is me that controls when they are awake or sleep.
I let them sleep some hr more in the morning, and when I got home I just pretend it's a normal day and let their out of their cages.
But they feel that it's not 100% the same so I often just eat with them, doing some trick training and other interactions with them, and clean their cages and put them to sleep.
They will get 2 hrs outside cage time in the evening when I'm late home. Normally they get 3-4 hr. (and before I'm going they are also out of course)
After this late night I let them sleep more in the morning. They will always get their 12 hr sleep/night but I can adjust when they should have it.
I have blackout curtains. That is also important.

You can try to do it my way, but I don't know if this is working with every bird.
We have our routines, the same every day, but not every day on same time, but they are used to that. :)

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
@Eloy Thank you for the suggestion! We don't have curtains in the room he is in but perhaps I could leave the light on until I come back and cover his cage the next morning

Last edited:

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Not sure if this is the right sub-forum so feel free to move my thread :)

Usually I will at least tell him hi, change his water, check his food and change it if needed, spot clean the cage if I see any poops anywhere else than on the paper, take him out to flap his wings and get a few cuddles, then give him his few sips of water before bed and then ni ni we go. This takes around 30 minutes. I feel like if I let him out for longer he might get a little grumpy but also he could just hang out of my shoulder or the couch and preen, just play less.

:)
I honestly think this is enough on days when you can't have more time with him out of cage. Just the opportunity to come out and spread his wings, poop outside, etc. will do wonders. In my personal experience, parrots LOVE their routine and do not appreciate being out when their internal clocks are telling them it's time for bed (even if they seem to be enjoying themselves in the here and now, they'll be grumpy the next day, as you said). Hope this helps!

AKahle6868

Strolling the yard
Yes for Gracie my GCC if her nighttime routine isn’t followed (her out time is from 7:30pm to 10pm and then 10am to 2-3pm depending on the day.) She is a grumpy pants. I find it best to skip the nighttime outting and just get her out the following morning. She actually won’t come out of the cage if she isn’t out at 7:30 and she will try to bite if I stick my hand in the cage. Once my daughter was sick and I couldn’t get her out until 9pm (she had already been out that morning) and she wasn’t having any of it. You are doing a great job. Don’t beat yourself up.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
We don't have curtains in the room he is in
Then it's not gonna work.
For this to work you need daylight lamps and blackout curtains.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think it's important for tiels to get their 10-12 hours of sleep. As long as his cage is roomy enough, one day here and there not getting out is not going to hurt him. :)

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
I think it's important for tiels to get their 10-12 hours of sleep. As long as his cage is roomy enough, one day here and there not getting out is not going to hurt him. :)
His cage isn't super roomy so thats why I try real hard on giving him time out of it, but at least he has space to flap his wings a little and sometimes even almost hang upside down! A lot of the time I just open his cage doors and top when I can't have him on me and he hangs around there, I think he likes his cage :) Thank you for your input! I'll make sure to try what Eloy suggested if this starts happening more often but I would be surprised, I need my beauty sleep too! :D