• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker help?

Xeph

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Dani
Hi all, new parrot owner here! I’ve recently adopted a super sweet Quaker that I’m just in love with. I spent 2 years researching, and making sure I knew how to care, what to expect, and even took bird care classes. I was prepared even knowing that I couldn’t know everything! Well, I adopted a 3 year old Quaker from a rescue a month ago, and he’s essentially a Velcro bird which is fine! I went into this really wanting a strong connection! We’ve got Java wood trees in the house, as well as even installing perches so he can chill whenever we are at and spends about 8 hours of his 12 hours awake time outside of his cage with us around the house.
Now, he’s a Velcro bird. He is OBSESSED with being on us, and acts terrified of being off us or away from us. We’ve worked on training him to see perches as a good thing by treating it as a trick if he steps up, playing with him there, and training there. He just never wants to stay on there for more than 5 min and will start shouting “cmon” which is what I say when I pick him up. I don’t mind havi him on us, but then he bites us. Birds bite!But when your bird wants to ONLY be on you, then will cuddle/preen you then randomly bite it’s been hard.

Most advice is when birds bite to treat shoulder time as a treat, but that isn’t going to work for him because it’s causing him anxiety to be off us. He paces back and forth just saying cmon until we pick him up and you can almost see the sigh of relief. How can we get him to be more comfortable with his perches? Is it just going to take tIme?

Thank you and apologies for the book….

To add, he can speak some, we’ve target trained him already to give him an outlet, I work on teaching him how to use new toys since he acts fearful, and I’m working on his diet. He’s on roudybush pellets, and I’m trying to introduce new veggies every day. He only eats corn…so diet is getting there. He steps up WONDERFULLY but fights stepping down because he doesn’t want to leave you. He really is just so sweet, but it’s unhealthy and we can’t make him THAT dependent as I know it’s damaging to them. He was owned by a 16 yr old boy before us who “lost interest” in him and that’s why he was given to the rescue. We don’t know anything else about his history other than that….

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
Hi all, new parrot owner here! I’ve recently adopted a super sweet Quaker that I’m just in love with. I spent 2 years researching, and making sure I knew how to care, what to expect, and even took bird care classes. I was prepared even knowing that I couldn’t know everything! Well, I adopted a 3 year old Quaker from a rescue a month ago, and he’s essentially a Velcro bird which is fine! I went into this really wanting a strong connection! We’ve got Java wood trees in the house, as well as even installing perches so he can chill whenever we are at and spends about 8 hours of his 12 hours awake time outside of his cage with us around the house.
Now, he’s a Velcro bird. He is OBSESSED with being on us, and acts terrified of being off us or away from us. We’ve worked on training him to see perches as a good thing by treating it as a trick if he steps up, playing with him there, and training there. He just never wants to stay on there for more than 5 min and will start shouting “cmon” which is what I say when I pick him up. I don’t mind havi him on us, but then he bites us. Birds bite!But when your bird wants to ONLY be on you, then will cuddle/preen you then randomly bite it’s been hard.

Most advice is when birds bite to treat shoulder time as a treat, but that isn’t going to work for him because it’s causing him anxiety to be off us. He paces back and forth just saying cmon until we pick him up and you can almost see the sigh of relief. How can we get him to be more comfortable with his perches? Is it just going to take tIme?

Thank you and apologies for the book….

To add, he can speak some, we’ve target trained him already to give him an outlet, I work on teaching him how to use new toys since he acts fearful, and I’m working on his diet. He’s on roudybush pellets, and I’m trying to introduce new veggies every day. He only eats corn…so diet is getting there. He steps up WONDERFULLY but fights stepping down because he doesn’t want to leave you. He really is just so sweet, but it’s unhealthy and we can’t make him THAT dependent as I know it’s damaging to them. He was owned by a 16 yr old boy before us who “lost interest” in him and that’s why he was given to the rescue. We don’t know anything else about his history other than that….
I read this about 3 times but it sounds to me like the bird is living freely with you and whoever all day? if that is correct then that's exactly what the bird would do. you are the flock. its going to follow you and come to you and not want to be away. I don't ever feed my birds outside of their cage. that's home that's food water, toys and all else, that's life. they like to return to it after being out a long time. You must not treat it as a mate either. birds have a fine line between mate and flock leader. that could lead to biting, hormones, plucking and a whole range of issues. Just my opinion fyi, I'm sure someone can tell you more

Last edited:

Xeph

Real Name
Dani
I read this about 3 times but it sounds to me like the bird is living freely with you and whoever all day? if that is correct then that's exactly what the bird would do. you are the flock. its going to follow you and come to you and not want to be away. I don't ever feed my birds outside of their cage. that's home that's food water, toys and all else, that's life. they like to return to it after being out a long time. You must not treat it as a mate either. birds have a fine line between mate and flock leader. that could lead to biting, hormones, plucking and a whole range of issues. Just my opinion fyi, I'm sure someone can tell you more
Thank you for your response! Yes he is out of the cage except for 3-4 hours in the morning when I really have to focus on my work (I work from home) and then has the run of the whole house the entire rest of the day. I suppose since I am new to having a parrot companion, I am paranoid and want to limit my mistakes. The whole time he is out, he just doesn't want to be anywhere except on our shoulders! I guess I worry that he won't learn to play properly or be too dependent on us for literally everything since he refuses to be anywhere except directly on us. I don't expect him to be a perch bird, but I just want to make sure I'm doing things right. Yes, my husband and I make sure and pet only appropriate places, etc. I guess it's a learning curve?

I do love him, he's been a fantastic companion and very patient with us despite his big change in environment!
Thank you again!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It will take some time. I had to teach my Hahns to stay on perches much like you would teach a dog to stay. I started close and just treated her for being on it and gradually moved farther away and for longer time frames. Move slowly :)

As their confidence builds it will get easier. Right now safety is the flock, you. Their whole world has been turned upside down and you're the only thing that makes sense. It may take several months for them to realize this is home. :)

Xeph

Real Name
Dani
It will take some time. I had to teach my Hahns to stay on perches much like you would teach a dog to stay. I started close and just treated her for being on it and gradually moved farther away and for longer time frames. Move slowly :)

As their confidence builds it will get easier. Right now safety is the flock, you. Their whole world has been turned upside down and you're the only thing that makes sense. It may take several months for them to realize this is home. :)
Thank you! Great advice, and good to have an outside perspective so we aren't going crazy. We will keep on working with him on his stands, and with his toys and learning to forage.
Appreciate you taking the time to respond!