• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Magpie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kate
I know that this is usually more of a place for parrots and I have those too but this post mainly involves a chicken.
I’m entertaining the idea of making some prosthetics for a rescue hen. She came to us with a damaged beak and more recently ended up with frostbite which has led to the loss of toes.

I’ve been looking into body-powered prosthetics like those from “Naked Prosthetics” and the biggest issues I can see are how to secure it on her feet in a way that won’t hurt her but also won’t fall off, and how to make sure that the parts are non-toxic in case they fall off and someone eats it.

I’ve also stumbled across several articles about a wild parrot who got a prosthetic beak. My girl’s beak causes issues but it’s not life threatening so I don’t want to install metal bars in her of anything but I could make a sort of cap and stick it to her upper bill. The issues with this idea are, non-toxic material for the beak, and non-toxic glue of some kind that I can have right next to her nose and won’t hurt her with the fumes.

Neither of these are absolutely necessary and I might do absolutely nothing with these ideas but I feel like it’s an idea worth entertaining so I’m looking into it.

1677702723731.jpeg
Her name is Deborah. She’s a speckled Sussex.
1677702846033.jpeg
You can see how her upper bill is shorter than the bottom.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.