• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pretty Daisy (A few questions!)

CagedStardust

Meeting neighbors
:hello1:

New here! And new to caring for a cockatiel too. I have a cockatiel named Daisy that I my dad gave me two months ago. Probably from a pet store...I don't think she's used to interacting with humans and has probably been kept in a cage all the time. She's still not used to me, but I often sit beside her, and talk to her, and sometimes she eats from my hand when she's hungry. I have a few questions, I want to make Daisy happy!

:pearl: I live in a tropical country, it's usually warm, and though at first I kept her inside the house, she's now out in the balcony, with half the cage covered in case she'd rather be in the shade. It's usually hotter inside the house, and she doesn't seem to mind being outside much. The only con of her being outside is that it's rather noisy, but whenever I look at her, she's eating her food and not minding the noise anyway (perhaps? Honestly, the noise can still be heard inside. This is a noisy country hahah a lot of motorcycles). She's also much noisier outside, livelier? I guess. But every morning, my mother would bring the cage inside because the balcony gets struck by direct sunlight during that time. I'd bring her out again during the afternoon and sit with her until evening. My question for this is, is it bad that we move the cage in and out all the time? Does it affect her view of me in any way? Should I just leave her inside rather than outside?

:pearl: Next! I've read that cage-bound birds are usually protective of their cage, and should be let out more. Daisy's still not tame, but is this a good idea? Won't I have a hard time retrieving her? I was able to lure her out with food once, and she even got to my lap. I closed the cage door but she still clung to her cage. She didn't fly around thankfully, but she might next time, I'm uncertain. I tried to get her out again but it's really difficult now.

:pearl: And since cage-bound birds are protective of their territory, and I have to place my hands inside to clean the cage, does this affect her view of me also? She stays in one place when I clean the cage and I try to move slowly, I'm just hoping she doesn't think I'm trying to invade her space (but she probably thinks I am)

Something to take note of is that I will not clip her wings. I've heard taming tiels without having their wings clipped can be difficult but not impossible, and I'd rather do it this way.

:starshower:Thank you for taking the time to read this! And I'm really really hoping that Daisy will get used to me one day. I'd really love to be able to pet her.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! I don't think moving her cage back and forth is bad. I have found with my tiel he likes to operate on a schedule. So if your tiel's schedule is inside in the mornings, outside after that, she'll probably adjust to that very quickly. If she's eating, etc. the noise must not bother her. Again, it's all what they're used to. Do you bring her in at night? I think I'd worry about her being outside at night for safety reasons. Is there a room in your house with a door where you can work on letting her out safely? If so, you can take her in the room and open the cage door. Try putting a perch just outside the cage and hang a favorite treat or toy. Sit with her and talk to her to see if she'll start coming out on her own. You can also work with her to see if she'll start stepping up on your hands. And you can also try to get her to go back into her cage by giving her a favorite treat too. It sounds like you're doing well with her. Just be patient and try to work at her pace. :)

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Welcome to AA and congratulations on your new friend! @sunnysmom gave you some wonderful advice. A favorite treat of cockatiel's is spray millet. You can try to lure her out with that onto a perch in a small room. If she hangs out on her cage at first, that's okay too. She's still getting used to everything, and it might take quite a while for her to become comfortable. Just keep spending time with her, talk to her a lot, give her treats and she should eventually become more comfortable. Oh, and also, we would love to see pictures of her!

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Congratulations on your new fid, Daisy! I have never owned a cockateil but it sounds like others have already given you some really great advice, and I'm sure others will chime in soon.

I just wanted to say that it made me so happy to read this post because it sounds like you are doing a great job already, and trying to learn all you can, and I could tell how much you love her ...and that right there is wonderful!

I hope you can share some pics of her with us sometime!

CagedStardust

Meeting neighbors
@sunnysmom I do leave her out at night! I thought it'd be fine since not a lot of stray cats visit the house as we have a lot of dogs. Half her cage would be covered. I used to leave her inside but I got worried because she had night fright one time, and since it's a bit brighter outside, figured she might sleep easier there. I'm working on getting a perch! At least the bendy rope one--- I still have to look for materials so I can make it. As for 'stepping up', she doesn't really like me touching her yet :sad1:

@iamwhoiam yes! thank you!

@Tiel Feathers It's actually difficult to find millets here; since most stores are for cats and dogs, and not a lot own birds, but I'll try to look for one! Daisy doesn't really have a 'favorite treat' yet I think-- since I only feed her seeds and sometimes broccoli. What food do cockatiels really like?

@CrazyBirdChick Thank you! Actually I owned two, the other was named Tom, but I made a horrible mistake of leaving the cage door unlocked while cleaning the cage. Tom usually goes around the cage when I clean, he's less calm, and when he reached the door he was able to get out:sad10: Tom was less trusting than Daisy, also both of them would often fight. We couldn't find him anymore and my dad offered to get a new male tiel so Daisy wouldn't be lonely, but I told him that maybe I should just start with her first, and told myself I'd become her friend so she wouldn't be lonely. :loveshower: (I'm hoping she'd get used to me before I get a job and have less time to spend with her :sad5:) But of course if my company isn't enough, I'd give in for a new tiel!

This is my Daisy!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Daisy is adorable. You can also try some natural wood perches too if you don't have rope perches available where you are.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
if you live on the street side be aware of the pollution of car exhaust to your birds. their lungs can't handle a lot that type of pollution.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't her force out unless her safety depends on it. Let her come to you. This is very important to build trust. I trust you keep her well away from the dogs, if you mean you personally have dogs as opposed to strays that run around.

Don't ever trust that a dog is sweet, docile and calm enough to not harm the bird. Dogs are predators and birds are their prey. Same thing with cats. Maybe you already know that, but plenty of people trust their dogs and cats around birds. Never, ever.

I have a cockatiel who used to step on my hand readily. For some reason, he stopped stepping up and now does not like it at all. I take him out to put meds on his back and other meds by mouth, and to take him to the vet. He does not want to come out for play. He is happy enough to watch the other cockatiel.

I agree with Laurie about the pollution harming the bird. Their respiratory system is delicate. There are many, many things that should not be around cockatiels. Any scented candles, any scented cleaners, scented air spray, absolutely teflon pans should not be around birds -- produces fatal fumes humans cannot smell...many, many things to watch for. Maybe you know all that information already.

No question is too small and there are no such thing as so-called dumb questions. I am no expert, but I have had cockatiels for 13 or 14 years. Many people here have had cockatiels much longer.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a cutie Daisy is!! Maybe you can order some millet online? I really do think it's the best training treat for a cockatiel. As far as her diet goes, if you could get her to eat some pellets with her seeds, that would be great. It is very hard to get them to try new foods, however. A good way might be to make some birdie bread and add pellets to the mix. A lot of people also have luck getting their bird to try pellets by feeding AviCakes. Also you can give her a greater mix of veggies. You can try green beans, peas, parsley, basil, carrots, peppers, etc. just no avacado, since it's toxic to birds.

CagedStardust

Meeting neighbors
@Wasabisaurus I've seen someone have their pet cockatiel and dog become best friends actually! But yeah, my dogs can't really go near my bird. They're usually outside, while the one kept inside is always downstairs. The only times they're in the same place is when I'm alone at home and the three of us would be in the balcony - Daisy would be sleeping in her cage and the dog would be sleeping further away. And don't worry! We're not big on scented anything- and the air outside isn't as bad.

@Tiel Feathers ordering online can be a bit pricey :( but a lot do recommend it. Thank you for the suggestions!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome!

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
No other chances of wild life visiting your place?? Getting to your cage.. like raccoons, snakes, other animals that can scale walls? Stress your bird out even if it may not even get in it..