• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Posting just to get this out of my system....Blue and Gold Macaw

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Clever!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
FYI...here is the photo from the rescue site, because I know you all love pictures :) Cropped to remove any identifying features. But, yeah, 40 yo B&G. Gorgeous man, er, woman? *shrug*

BGmacaw.jpg

I have received my confirmation e-mail from the organization providing proof I have taken both of the required courses. I have to then ask for the application, which I will do this week.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So, a thought/concern has been rolling around in my mind. I work full time but from home, at the moment, due to the pandemic. At some point I will be returning to the office. I worry that not being home for 8 hours during the day would be detrimental for such a smart and sociable bird as a macaw. Is that the case?

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So, a thought/concern has been rolling around in my mind. I work full time but from home, at the moment, due to the pandemic. At some point I will be returning to the office. I worry that not being home for 8 hours during the day would be detrimental for such a smart and sociable bird as a macaw. Is that the case?
I understand your concern. Three months ago I suddenly found myself spending my days at home and away from my full day job. My macaw has enjoyed me being home (spoiled, very spoiled) and I'm positive there will be an adjustment when and if that changes again for him. If it does we will adjust together just as we've always done to change. He's been with me for over 16 years so we've had changes!

I don't think it will be detrimental as long as you allow plenty of time before work and plenty of time after work for quality time together, to interact and to enjoy flock meals. Plenty of toys and foraging options will help during the day. I also make use of a camera so I can see what's going on while I'm gone. That may help guide you as to what might be needed to make the day pass easily as you observe while at work. Another option available, if you see it's needed, is to have a pet sitter stop in for a mid-day break. They don't necessarily need to get the bird out of the cage, but they can change out water, give a treat and spend time reading or talking to your bird, etc.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Thank you, @Mizzely and @Karen! That's very reassuring. If I am chosen by this macaw, I would certainly like to provide him with something like this so that he/she has plenty of room to stretch and flap and even fly, maybe.

A&E Aviary
That looks like a great idea!

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Thank you, @Mizzely and @Karen! That's very reassuring. If I am chosen by this macaw, I would certainly like to provide him with something like this so that he/she has plenty of room to stretch and flap and even fly, maybe.

A&E Aviary
How thick is the wire? That's what would worry me, the first picture it looks super thin to me.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How thick is the wire? That's what would worry me, the first picture it looks super thin to me.
I did not pay attention to that because I was merely looking at the dimensions. But yes, you are right. That would be an important consideration with a B&G beak!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It says that the bar thickness is 5 mm, and the bar spacing is 1-inch. Is 5 mm thick enough? I have budgies who take an hour to work their way through a nutraberry! Lol!

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I did not pay attention to that because I was merely looking at the dimensions. But yes, you are right. That would be an important consideration with a B&G beak!
I can't remember the company, but there is a website that makes large things like that that has big bars etc! They are made for macaws!

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

A&E Aviary
You're welcome! That's what I have for my bird. They're very nice.