• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Posting just to get this out of my system....Blue and Gold Macaw

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thank you, @Mizzely :) Just listen to the birds and be honest with myself about my own reactions, right? Inhale....exhale....lol!
Yep. Truth be told when I got my Hahns Macaw I was terrified and thought I had made a terrible error :lol: We ended up as BFFs. I was also scared when I picked up Ripley because I was not familiar with the poicephalus body language and was sure all that eye pinning meant he wanted to bite me....but I took him anyways :rofl: Now I know that means he is excited ;)

But yes, listen to yourself. You know your limits.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you all so much for the reassurances. I'm going to admit that I'm nervous about my upcoming visit to the rescue! I've never been this close to any birds other than my boys--and I've especially never been around a bird the size of a macaw. But I do love birds so much, that I'm going to be happy just for the opportunity :)

And I just have to remember that the birds will let me know what they want!
You and I are so completely on this journey together, lol! Almost the exact same experiences and drives.
Should I say I hope you get bitten like I did? :roflmao:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You and I are so completely on this journey together, lol! Almost the exact same experiences and drives.
Should I say I hope you get bitten like I did? :roflmao:
All experience counts, right? Lol!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep. Truth be told when I got my Hahns Macaw I was terrified and thought I had made a terrible error :lol: We ended up as BFFs. I was also scared when I picked up Ripley because I was not familiar with the poicephalus body language and was sure all that eye pinning meant he wanted to bite me....but I took him anyways :rofl: Now I know that means he is excited ;)

But yes, listen to yourself. You know your limits.
I’m glad you ended up as BFFs!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Also if only people who had macaw experience could adopt macaws....how would any macaws ever get adopted? :hmmm:
That’s true! It’s like those job postings in which you have to have experience to apply...well how do you get the experience?

It still hurts too! But I think it might not scar. The scab finally came off yesterday so there's nothing left but a somewhat sore knot under my knuckle. Got all the finger mobility back after a few days :dead:
Oh my! I’m sorry it still hurts, but glad it has healed so you have mobility!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Don't get a macaw as a pet unless you're ready.

According to this thread, I should not be considering this bird. Specifically this:

And yes, this is something I've thought about a lot. I don't have a clue, except reading and reading and reading about other people's experiences, what it is like to own a macaw. I've only owned budgies...the two I have now. I'm not trying to talk myself out of this, I'm just trying to be realistic and set myself up for success with whatever bird I adopt (or rather chooses me).
I can honestly tell you from my own personal experiences that the only thing that could have prepared me for what macaw ownership and full time caring of a macaw was like is actually owning that macaw and caring for it. No amount of reading or visiting someone else's bird could have properly prepared me for living with Burt. I also read all about having to have prior macaw experience and maybe it is true for some people but I seriously feel (after watching my own family members who are not bird crazy people or even experienced owners of any bird) that anyone who has a level of responsibility and an interest or love of the bird and a willingness to learn and share will do fine living with a macaw. I think a lot of it has to do with personality more so than experience.

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
The only bird that gets you macaw experience is a macaw. I don't care what anyone says. Every time I've adopted a new bird it is starting from square one learning about them again.

You having budgies does not eliminate you as a macaw mom. If you get there and you are too intimidated to try, then listen to THAT voice, but don't write it off because someone on the internet thinks you don't have what it takes.
I like you :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Don't get a macaw as a pet unless you're ready.

According to this thread, I should not be considering this bird. Specifically this:

And yes, this is something I've thought about a lot. I don't have a clue, except reading and reading and reading about other people's experiences, what it is like to own a macaw. I've only owned budgies...the two I have now. I'm not trying to talk myself out of this, I'm just trying to be realistic and set myself up for success with whatever bird I adopt (or rather chooses me).
We weren't ready for Buzz; we'd only had green cheeks. We were pretty intimidated in the beginning, but it turns out he was just a big, scared bird in a new place
so we treated him like any other bird & took it at his pace. As he opened up to us, we began to learn him. His pace was the right pace for all of us -smart guy! :D

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can honestly tell you from my own personal experiences that the only thing that could have prepared me for what macaw ownership and full time caring of a macaw was like is actually owning that macaw and caring for it. No amount of reading or visiting someone else's bird could have properly prepared me for living with Burt. I also read all about having to have prior macaw experience and maybe it is true for some people but I seriously feel (after watching my own family members who are not bird crazy people or even experienced owners of any bird) that anyone who has a level of responsibility and an interest or love of the bird and a willingness to learn and share will do fine living with a macaw. I think a lot of it has to do with personality more so than experience.
Thank you, @Shezbug! I do love birds and I’m willing to do the work :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Buzzard is our easiest bird. He pretty much stays on his cage and playstand unless he's on one of us, but I do dream of an aviary for a day cage. You should see @aooratrix's outdoor aviary! If I remember correctly, it's pretty affordable. :) Plus Black Friday is coming up! :dance5:My 2nd favorite holiday!

It's a Producer's Pride Defender chicken coop I got at TSC. I had to buy 2 extra panels to convert it for parrots. It was around 1k. It's the best thing I've done for my birds.

Buzzard came wo us in a medium dog crate. :shrug2: Not perfect, but he fits & only goes in for vet visits & nail trims. Then he preens his tail once we're home & everything is back to normal. :tup:

Hubby and I both work full-time jobs, but Buzzard is only caged when we're not home. But he has his toys to keep him busy & he naps a lot of the time, even when we're home. The rest of the time he's out and about. :pinksmile: He usually even chooses to sleep on his playstand. If you don't have room/space for an aviary right away, there are plenty of folks here who can recommend some nice, large cages. An aviary isn't a requirement if he can be out most of the time.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@aooratrix Thanks! Yes, I have considered chicken coops for outside (my neighbors would just love it! Lol!) I looked at TCS, one of my favorite places along with Farm & Fleet, but they don't carry that one anymore. Still pondering my options if, indeed, this senior-ish macaw finds its way home with me :)

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I spoke on the phone with the rescue today to make sure I knew their Covid-19 protocols, and see if they wanted anything else from me prior to my first visit. Many of the birds I wanted to meet have already been adopted, but a few are still available--including this B&G Macaw. In talking to the woman whom I'll be working with, she mentioned that 'he is a handful', and she confirmed that the DNA came back as male!

So...a 40 yo male B&G described as 'a handful' and who needs a lot of one-on-one out of cage time. I can't short-change the budgie boys for a new bird. I am totally willing to divide my time equally between them. And if a rescue describes a bird as 'a handful', how would you interpret that--behavior wise? A bird who is always exploring and getting into things? A bird who lunges and bites (she did not say that)? Perhaps a bit of a drama queen? What do you think?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That's a lot to think about. Buzzard had become very clingy lately. It's not easy doing most of your chores with 2.8 lbs strapped to your wrist. But if you had a playstand that was easy to roll from room to room he could keep you company (supervise you) that way.

19.gif Note to self: get a smaller playstand.

Also, would the rescue let you bring any favorite snacks with you to distribute? Banana chips or almonds? Might make you more popular with the feathered crowd.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They provide snacks and treats for visitors to give to the feathery ones :) Yeah, I was thinking stand on wheels perhaps...hmmmm.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would be thinking if the rescue says he is a handful that he may be a LOT of work or more demanding than most birds, this is something I would ask them to elaborate on. They would be quite used to dealing with many birds so would find things much easier than most people I would think so describing him as a handful is something I would want to have explained in more detail.

Burt is a handful, but when I say that I do not mean he is a difficult bird to be around- he doesn't scream much at all, he hardly ever lunges and if he does it is usually playing and he stops a fair distance away from you to them throw his wings up, he is gentle most of the time but he does not stop moving (like ever) and he is so curious that nothing escapes the test of his beak. He gets into drawers and cupboards, bags and tops you are wearing, he pulls buttons and zips off everything so fast it is crazy and if there are none then he tests the material of everything by popping holes in it, he throws everything he can get to on the floor or at me, and he never sits still for any length of time even with his play stand filled up with new and wonderful things.... he would rather find his own things to investigate and pull apart. There is no relaxing to watch TV, use the computer, phone or read a book if Burt is out of the cage, it is full on like a child with ADHD- no, it is like four of them in the same room and they are much easier to cope with to be honest. He is never in one spot for more than a minute and nothing he is given keeps him occupied long while out of the cage. He is a handful!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would be thinking if the rescue says he is a handful that he may be a LOT of work or more demanding than most birds, this is something I would ask them to elaborate on. They would be quite used to dealing with many birds so would find things much easier than most people I would think so describing him as a handful is something I would want to have explained in more detail.

Burt is a handful, but when I say that I do not mean he is a difficult bird to be around- he doesn't scream much at all, he hardly ever lunges and if he does it is usually playing and he stops a fair distance away from you to them throw his wings up, he is gentle most of the time but he does not stop moving (like ever) and he is so curious that nothing escapes the test of his beak. He gets into drawers and cupboards, bags and tops you are wearing, he pulls buttons and zips off everything so fast it is crazy and if there are none then he tests the material of everything by popping holes in it, he throws everything he can get to on the floor or at me, and he never sits still for any length of time even with his play stand filled up with new and wonderful things.... he would rather find his own things to investigate and pull apart. There is no relaxing to watch TV, use the computer, phone or read a book if Burt is out of the cage, it is full on like a child with ADHD- no, it is like four of them in the same room and they are much easier to cope with to be honest. He is never in one spot for more than a minute and nothing he is given keeps him occupied long while out of the cage. He is a handful!
Yep, I was thinking something along those lines, lol! And yes, I will definitely ask them to elaborate on their definition of 'a handful'!