• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Posting just to get this out of my system....Blue and Gold Macaw

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Ernie picked me while I was looking at another bird. I didn’t know what a Pionus was. And no, I couldn’t stop thinking about him.

If you feel that way about him/her, you won’t regret it for a moment. Ever.

I’m 58 and have parrots ages 3, 3,4, 10, 12, and 23. All are medium parrots that should make it to age 40. No contingency plan— yet.But hubby has an account here so you guys could help him out if needed.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sweet little Ernie! Who knows? I may end up with a sun conure, lol!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
My I can't get him out of my head bird was a 2 year old Jardine returned to the store for biting. I will always wonder what if. But the timing wasn't right.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
You guys are so nice here :)
I myself posted something similar to this (somewhere else!) awhile back and kind of felt shamed for not having enough experience to be even "planning" my next bird :(

Which is why when I randomly spotted a BH pionus who instantly tried to hold my hand and said hi.. I didnt take him. I thought it would make me a bad person.
I still think about that darn bird every day.
I regret it.
If he really calls to you, yeah.. it's hard to let go of.

Of course I've also looked at the macaws on our local rescue site and really been tempted.. I just don't think I can give them the space they need right now.

If you have the space, the attention, and have done the research.. follow your heart :)

But you might regret not getting a tiel too if that's what you've been wanting!

Last edited:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Elysian Sometimes people are very, very passionate about pet birds and they speak their minds freely. I belong to a facebook group, too, and their motto is "Saving parrots one person at a time." I'm sorry you were discouraged from getting that sweet pionus. At the moment, I would not be able to bring home a B&G. I don't have the cage, room set-up, food and toys stockpiled, etc. I don't even have a travel cage that would accommodate a B&G. If I end up pursuing this bird, it would take a few months to get ready (like 4 or 5 maybe).

When I got my budgie boys, it was a rather impulse purchase, I'm now ashamed but aware enough to admit. I hope that whatever bird I add to my flock will benefit from my patience and preparation. But really? We all start somewhere. If you've never owned a bird, you can research for a year, but it is nothing like being around a live bird.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
@Elysian We all start somewhere. If you've never owned a bird, you can research for a year, but it is nothing like being around a live bird.
Oh yeah, planned and prepped for months for my budgies and still felt completely lost at first :D
We went to the vet 3 times in the first 4 months before I had enough confidence to trust myself on whether or not they actually needed to.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I belong to a facebook group, too, and their motto is "Saving parrots one person at a time."
The problem is if we discourage everyone from bringing birds home, then shelters will fill and birds will suffer.
If someone is out here researching, asking questions, and is able to offer a good life to these birds, we must encourage that.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with that Zara. I believe that they are just trying to help people who have already made those mistakes and are working hard to change (like me), and encourage those who don't have birds yet to fully research what it is they are considering. I understand it as: people need to be trained/educated so that birds can be saved. I'm just glad I won't make the same mistakes with any new bird that I made with my budgie boys.

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I have the 2nd of 2 online classes this afternoon to qualify to have an application on file with this rescue! I may get my application to them this weekend :)
Excited!!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If it's meant to be, it will be. I see no reason why you can't provide a great home, as long as you don't live in an apartment.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it's meant to be, it will be. I see no reason why you can't provide a great home, as long as you don't live in an apartment.
Oh no...widowed and own my own home. Inside any noise would not be a problem. Outside I may get a few dirty looks, but my neighbors all have dogs who do their business in my yard which said neighbors never pick up. So....

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Oh no...widowed and own my own home. Inside any noise would not be a problem. Outside I may get a few dirty looks, but my neighbors all have dogs who do their business in my yard which said neighbors never pick up. So....
That’s all you need! Leverage.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I've also found that if you talk with your 2 closest neighbors, let them know to come talk to you if any noise they hear is bothersome.
Most people will be much more tolerant if they know you care about their comfort too.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I've also found that if you talk with your 2 closest neighbors, let them know to come talk to you if any noise they hear is bothersome.
And add them to your Christmas card list ;)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I made a plant from a clipping of that green thing I have hanging in front of the doves feeder, grew it a bit then gifted it to my neighbour in front...
Spotted it the other month,
Screenshot_20200927_200427.jpg :)