• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Posting just to get this out of my system....Blue and Gold Macaw

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am planning to adopt a bird to add to my flock in the next 6 to 12 months. I have two male budgies, and always thought a cockatiel would be a great little addition. I'm taking required courses through a parrot rescue about 1.5 hours away from me, and I'll fill out an adoption application once those are complete--just so that I am on file with them when the time comes. I may even get the home inspections out of the way sooner rather than later. Anyway....

The rescue shows photos and biographical information about the birds they are caring for that are available for adoption. And one of the photos I keep coming back to is a 40 yo B&G - waiting on sex determination from dna. I know, right? I can't believe that there is even part of me that is considering this bird. I've always loved Macaws, but I'm in my mid-50s and have always thought getting a young macaw would be irresponsible of me considering their life span. But a 40 yo? Mostly I'm posting this in hopes that it will deflate this idea in my head. It's just a thought that keeps returning to my brain.

Fire away! Lol!

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
They are beautiful birds, no wonder you are thinking about it. Do you have a family member or close friend that would adopt the bird? Someone on here has a niece (I think) that will adopt his bird when that time comes. She's already interacting with it and they get along.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
They are beautiful birds, no wonder you are thinking about it. Do you have a family member or close friend that would adopt the bird? Someone on here has a niece (I think) that will adopt his bird when that time comes. She's already interacting with it and they get along.
That is such a good idea!

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
you think i wont try to convince you to get the macaw?!?!?!?! Youre wrong

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Once a bird is stuck in your head it never leaves. I still have this little goffins cockatoo from the shelter from about 2 years ago stuck in my head, he was so sweet and jumped off his perch and ran to me when I walked in and kissed my nose once i picked him up and sang a little song. That was when we still only had Isla and Bee and hes STILL in my head. Your idea will not deflate, lol

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I was 60 and I tried to find an old bird when I got Hank, but a 19 year old was the oldest I could find. He died at the the age of 34. Jasper was given to me when I was 63 and Jasper was 6 1/2 years old - she died two weeks ago after we had been roommates for 20 years. Rosie (macawnutz's GW female) lived till 78, Priscilla in the Oasis Sanctuary lived to be 78 and Winston Churchill's B&G has lived to 106. We have a number of members whose baby macaws have died before their first birthday. No one knows.

If you want this bird and realize what you are getting into with a macaw, she is a good choice. Having lived until 40 she is most likely a strong healthy bird. I personally always liked the older birds the best.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He or she (pending DNA) may not even be there still! I think they're pretty good about updating the website, but....

You all are incorrigible! Lol!

My dad is 91, and my mom passed in April at 83, after a 35 year battle with breast cancer...so I have some hardy genes in my family. I think I have a good shot of outliving a 40 yo macaw! Still....smh...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think if it's something that you have the time, space, and money for it's a great idea. And so many "older" birds get over looked. Can you go and meet him? I know different rescues have different rules right now. Or is there a foster program at the rescue? That would give you an idea of what it's like. I know this sounds really obvious and I'm sure you thought about it- but I still sometimes am stunned by how much money I spend on my cockatoo compared to my tiels. My tiels- a couple of inexpensive toys will keep them happy for a long time. My 'too? He can destroy a toy in 15 minutes. And the mess he makes? Huge compared to my tiels. Just things to think about. I would never discourage anyone from adopting but just wanted to throw in some of the cons of a bigger bird- although the pros far out weigh them. :)

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, you are encouraged to meet the birds so that they can determine if it is a good fit. I hope to travel up there a few times in the coming months. If he is still there, I would have a chance to meet him (her?). And yes, infrastructure, food, vet, mess, noise all increase exponentially! That is why I'm shaking my head at myself. Just sitting here pondering where I would put a 6 foot indoor aviary is blowing my mind!

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
SENIOR BIRDS ARE THE BEST!!!!
yes I meant to shout!
Nobody has any idea, especially these days, what lifespan they will have. And you have no idea for any bird you adopt either.
I do agree that having made it to 40 the macaw is probably a healthy one.
If you can afford the money, space and time go for it.
I doubt you would get the bird out of your head, I still think of several Amazons I met at the rescue years ago.
I think that would be something in common to all the Roadies here, we're built that way.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It sounds like the macaw is in a good place, so if you decide against it, someone else will come along. They're beautiful, but the sheer amount of space they must require would be mind boggling. They look huge (gorgeous, but huge).

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I can’t add much more useful information, I think it’s all pretty much been covered.
You might just want to make sure you are able to keep big bird and little birds seperate if (when:laugh:) you bring the macaw home.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah....wouldn't really want them playing "catch me" around the house!:bliss: The budgies would lose that game.

So, for a 40 yo macaw, are hormones still a constant battle? I have never had to deal with excessive hormonal behavior with the budgie boys!

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I say go for it. He/she needs a good home.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
We all have birds that we look back and wonder "what if". Some birds just stick with you and you'll never shake them from your mind, even if you only saw a single ad for them years ago.

A little older Jardine's named Dixie is mine. I saw her photo in 2012 I believe, and always wonder what happened to her. So when I saw Ripley's face on Craigslist, I knew I couldn't let another one become a what if. Jardine's were one of those birds I loved but I never seriously saw myself with one....

And here I am wondering why it took me so long ;)

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do look at macaws and think, "what incredible birds!". And then I think about myself, and really, if I were a bird, I'd probably be a tiel. Happy to be invited to whatever is happening. Mostly good natured and kinda clumsy, lol! A tiel is what I have spent most of my time thinking about...yet, here I am.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I console myself that I have plenty of time to ponder all these things. I'm in no real hurry to get a bird "right now!". I suppose the bird will pick me if I'm the right human, right?