• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possibly Bringing A Sun Conure Home

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
I know I've posted here before about wanting a conure, and how I was doing research on how to properly care for them and I had shown interest in GCC, but I've just come across a chance to adopt a sun conure in need of a loving home. I know that sun conures are louder, and I was wondering if there's anyone on here who lives in an apartment with a sun conure? I know all birds are noisy but is there any way to control when a conure is noisy - scream time?
I'd love some pointers, and I'm thinking this through very carefully, but I'm excited because it's been my dream to own a sun conure. I think I'm at a place in my life when I can, and it'd be great if I could do it successfully!
He's a male, and I think his name is Nene. He's five years old and it seems like the person who posted the ad likes him a ton, and was taking very good care of him.
00q0q_5ITLBGDNTUR_600x450.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
I live in an apartment with my nanday, Diesel. She can be pretty loud at times but I haven't had any complaints (neighbors' dog barks way more often). Some things I've done to keep the noise down is almost always playing music, especially when I'm gone. I find if Diesel hears something in the silence she'll call out or get startled. I'll always make sure she has foraging toys when I'm gone and give her things to do. We do lots of flying inside and outside (on a harness) to help wear her out. Even taking your sun conure outside in a cage would be stimulating and help prevent screaming from boredom.

When it comes to the apartment complex, find a place that accepts dogs because then usually a loud bird won't be as bothersome if there's also barking dogs. Be upfront in the beginning that you have a bird, but make sure to show a picture for size since most people hear parrot and think BIG. If possible, try and get a corner unit. That way you could possibly position your conure's cage on the wall that isn't shared with anyone else. I live in a corner unit and have things set up that way.

Good luck and hopefully it works out for you! Conures are awesome birds :D

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
@Diesel13 Thank you so much for all of the tips! If I do end up bringing him home I think I might be in good shape because I play music all of the time!

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
I think it definitely depends on the noise tolerance of your neighbors! Like Diesel we now live in a place where our birds are never louder or noiser than the half dozen barking dogs in the area. But our first apartment we had to move out (in part) because our neighbors were bothered by the chirping of a single parrotlet.... :meh:

But I also think you're at an advantage by adopting in that you can talk to the previous owner about his general noisiness. On the flip side, if he does come with any pre-existing screaming issue you might have to be ready to deal with an initial training period.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hope it works out for you.

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
I'm very excited. The only problem would be my dad; he's basically in charge of what pets we get to have and how many. When I got my third budgie he told me no more budgies, but he never said a conure. I'd only be living at home for another 6 months maybe if I get the job that I have an interview for tomorrow, so me getting a conure wouldn't impact him or my mom much.
I just have to catch him at a good time, and I think I might take him to meet the conure with me, because it's his house.
I know having a conure is a very big decision, and I'm not taking it lightly, but it might not happen for a little while - depending how big the rehoming fee is.

Milestone

He sure looks cute, I wanted one at one time, such beautiful birds. Hope things work out.

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
The lady who posted it said that he answers to his name, babbles and coos like a baby, is generally very quiet, and a very clownish/cuddly bird. She also mentioned that he has bitten her, but I've trained several species of animals - including birds - not to bite and that's not a deal breaker for me.
I asked her if we could postpone when I come to meet him so I can work on my dad's answer before I get attached, and she was very understanding!

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Seeing as he is mature, the possibility that he would scream due to hormones is minimal! Hopefully his biting is not too much of a concern either, of which I am sure you will adequately manage! Before Pilo entered our lives, we were looking at a Sunny as well, albeit, the possibility of the noise factor (and their screams are ear busters) due to apartment living, sadly ruled that one out!

What ever your choice, I wish you well and wish you success with your father as well!

God Bless!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I don't live in an apartment but neighbors can hear her all the way down the road if the windows are open or we are outside. For the most part if Chya is occupied, she is quiet. She used to scream a lot wanting to be in my shirt 24/7 but has since become a bit more independent. Lots of chewies and a routine will help you tremendously. Also, if looking for an apartment, try to get one that has an outside wall rather than an apartment in between two other apartments.

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
@Lodah That makes me even more convinced that he'd be a good fit for me. After my job interview tonight I'm going to work on my dad some more. He was bitten by our collective, family macaw George when he was younger and now is terrified of bigger parrots. I think if I could convince him to come with me to meet Nene, he'd see that his fear of a sweet little sunny is irrational. I just need to figure out how to convince him, lol.

Last edited:

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Nene is adorable! :heart: I hope that it works out!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you have neighbors, sometimes it helps to go and talk to them first to let them know... although depending on where you live, that also might not be a good idea.

I've never warned any neighbors of mine and haven't had any complaints!

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
EDIT: The lady who was trying to rehome home - mind you it was because her home was no longer safe for him to live there - is asking $1000 and I can't afford it, but I'm sad because there's no one around here who's going to pay $1000 for that bird. I guess I have to keep looking. :(

Last edited:

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
EDIT: The lady who was trying to rehome home - mind you it was because her home was no longer safe for him to live there - is asking $1000 and I can't afford it, but I'm sad because there's no one around here who's going to pay $1000 for that bird. I guess I have to keep looking. :(
So sorry! I was hoping it would work out for you. :sadhug2:

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
That's so sweet of you, but I guess I'll just have to wait until people buy conures for their kids for Christmas and the kids lose interest in like February...:( I might go look on other websites where people rehome things/pets. I'll keep y'all posted.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
At that price, I hope he comes with a mansion!!!!

I wouldn't think most adult conures could sell for more than $400-$600, including supplies. As common as sun conures are, and as frequently as they get rehomed, I would expect a price of $300 or less for the majority of them....

You can still express interest, but that you aren't willing to pay that much. Perhaps it's a good thing though? I mean, once you move out, you wont need your families approval! Only thing you need is to make sure that birds are allowed wherever you move to and be mindful of any "pet rules". (i.e. no more than 3 pets per home)

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
I've decided to throw my hat in the ring at a few rescues in Colorado. I'm hoping something turns up. In the meantime, I have plenty of time to pick out the right cage, accessories, foods, treats, and playstand for the bird I'm going to bring home!