• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help with rainbow lorikeet!

Lori_Love5

Moving in
Real Name
Sam
Hi,

Hope everyone is good, I am looking for some advice for my rainbow lorikeet.
his diet is based on a lori feed (I mix it in with water so it’s wet food for him) of which I attached a picture below and I also cut up some apples for him which he takes a few bites from but usually eats up most of his lori feed.
i was wondering if I should be giving him some other foods too or is there any additional treats or something he may love or need? Thank you very much!

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Fruits and vegetables are a healthy addition to a lories' diet, and are something different for them to eat texturally and in terms of taste.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
One of our vendors has lorikeets but I can't remember her name. @Mizzely @Shezbug

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sorry, I’m not sure who has one. I know there’s some here though.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Sorry, I’m not sure who has one. I know there’s some here though.
She might have a macaw too... I'm getting so foggy. She posted quite a while ago using silk greenery on a wall as a back drop to her cages / play area. funny how I can remember some stuff.. just not all.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
California Bird nerds?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Well I am glad you two seemed to have figured it out.... I still have no clue :laugh:

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Also correct me if I’m wrong but you could offer a little bit of Harrison’s lifetime fine, there’s instructions on the back of the bag on how to adapt it for lorikeets plus introduce a larger variety of fruits

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
Lorikeets should be given a variety diet like any other parrot! Do NOT feed food containing much or any iron.
You can compare their allowed fruits/veggies to a Toucans diet (which is much more studied than Lorikeets). Apples are great.
Wet mix if you can, dry mix is okay if you must but it's preferred to feed them wet mix. I don't know where you're at, but if you can get your hands on Lorynectar.com feed, that would be best. Unsure if they ship internationally, you'll have to check.

Lorys can have flowers and love nectar. They need high sugar as they are very active birds.

Lori_Love5

Moving in
Real Name
Sam
Lorikeets should be given a variety diet like any other parrot! Do NOT feed food containing much or any iron.
You can compare their allowed fruits/veggies to a Toucans diet (which is much more studied than Lorikeets). Apples are great.
Wet mix if you can, dry mix is okay if you must but it's preferred to feed them wet mix. I don't know where you're at, but if you can get your hands on Lorynectar.com feed, that would be best. Unsure if they ship internationally, you'll have to check.

Lorys can have flowers and love nectar. They need high sugar as they are very active birds.
@aooratrix @MR. Mango @Shezbug @Mockinbirdiva @Zara @expressmailtome @Kenzie 97E631FB-C2FA-4D51-B661-588C7DC7AD78.jpeg F82229F6-7869-4957-B878-6558DF45C8CF.jpeg D95E5311-9AAC-4856-B0A9-7AEAEBE1E545.jpeg AC1179E7-4CB4-416F-8CCA-2DFFBC2A212C.jpeg BF9667EB-7A14-4F93-B86C-EA8569AB9675.jpeg DC1A984D-EFD4-49DA-A6E3-DEC0332912FF.jpeg
Thank you very much, I will make sure his diet is low in iron that helped me out and everyone else who replied, thank you!
Just wanted your guys opinions on some new foods and spray I bought for my bird as in uk I cannot find much websites who offer different foods for lorikeets. Please do have a look at the pictures and if anything isn’t suitable I’d love to know thank you!

BrysenR

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Brysen
Hello, Check out Bird Tricks resources about preparing vegetables.

Here is a link to the website: BirdTricks | Parrot Training, Taming & Care
Hi,

Hope everyone is good, I am looking for some advice for my rainbow lorikeet.
his diet is based on a lori feed (I mix it in with water so it’s wet food for him) of which I attached a picture below and I also cut up some apples for him which he takes a few bites from but usually eats up most of his lori feed.
i was wondering if I should be giving him some other foods too or is there any additional treats or something he may love or need? Thank you very much!

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
@Lori_Love5 I wouldn't recommend spending any money on Bird Tricks though.
Can we see some pics of your birdie?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I would return the 2 Johnson sprays. All you really need is water. Occasionally, I add a few drops of Listerine or some aloe vera juice. I'm not a fan of the 2 sticks, either. You're better off providing flowers (if they haven't been treated/sprayed), sprouts, fresh fruits, lory powder, nectar, and veggies.

Why the charcoal?

There are numerous videos on Youtube that detail sprouting and making chop. BirdTricks is a commercial enterprise and has some questionable practices. I wouldn't support them financially.

Can you contact an avian vet and ask if they have any clients with lories/lorikeets who might be willing to share information with about products and process for feeding?

I like that you are trying your best to do right by your bird! Keep it up.