• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help me determine my bird’s gender w.r.t its behaviour

Sumanth

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sumanth Raj Srivastav
My bird -‘Tweety’ raises its tail and bows its head as if it wants to mate. Is it a possibile sign of a female? Doesn’t whistle in a tune and doesn’t sing either, I’m hesitating in getting a Dna test done as plucking feathers might cause it a pain, which I feel isn’t worth.
Can anyone please help me understand its gender? If yes, that would be great!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Sumanth 1.welcome signs.gif

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
:bump4: Sorry, I do not have experience with cockatiels, so I can't really help you.....but no whistling does make it sound like a female. I understand not wanting to get a DNA test, but since so many birds do get them I don't think that they hurt too much. Welcome to the avenue!

Veritgo01

Strolling the yard
My bird -‘Tweety’ raises its tail and bows its head as if it wants to mate. Is it a possibile sign of a female? Doesn’t whistle in a tune and doesn’t sing either, I’m hesitating in getting a Dna test done as plucking feathers might cause it a pain, which I feel isn’t worth.
Does she have the bars on the bottom of her tail feathers?
647962E1-E5D1-42CA-8FC3-02691B65CB45.jpeg

Sumanth

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sumanth Raj Srivastav
:bump4: Sorry, I do not have experience with cockatiels, so I can't really help you.....but no whistling does make it sound like a female. I understand not wanting to get a DNA test, but since so many birds do get them I don't think that they hurt too much. Welcome to the avenue!
Thanks

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Signs point to female, but it could be male. Sometimes the females act like males and the other way around. The only way to really see is if you take the DNA test, but you could feel the pelvis and try to tell that way. It's not very accurate, but it might help.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How old is your tiel? Any chance you know what mutations her parents are?

sexing lutino.jpg

Skum

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bruce Bergeson
I'd say your birds female. Mine does exactly the same thing when I kiss her head, also not verbal. I had a male for 25 yrs and the behaviour was completely different

Skum

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bruce Bergeson
Very difficult to notice the bars since mine is a lutino mutation
Mine hasn't got bars either but laid 4 eggs last month. That'll be an interesting experience