• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

plastic mesh for cage for budgerigars

Limonko

Checking out the neighborhood
this is my old thread.

Since that thread I decided to wait a bit, and decide some time latter because It wasn't handy, the parrots already had a pretty good cage.

Some time ago I got an idea of using a plastic mesh (polythene) instead of metal wire mesh.

The cage will be for two budgerigars, because of that I think that it is a good idea and they will not break it.

have anyone dealt with it?

if yes then is it an good idea? And if it is then which wire thickness is the best? Can you tell me more about your experience?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have never heard of anyone using this. The budgies could chew through it, and if the "bars" are not round, there will likely be sharp portions of the "bars".

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Plastic mesh?? How strong?

The only kinds of plastic mesh that I can think of I would not consider as a safe option. I have seen budgies chew through fly wire, they may have little beaks but they are persistent so they do actually manage to even chew through decent bits of wood given enough time- plastic that is hard enough to stop them destroying it would possibly be the kind that would shatter if anything put too much stress on the structure so I can't imagine what kind of plastic mesh you have come across that may be suitable to house birds behind.

Can you share a link for the mesh you want to use?

Limonko

Checking out the neighborhood
Plastic mesh?? How strong?

The only kinds of plastic mesh that I can think of I would not consider as a safe option. I have seen budgies chew through fly wire, they may have little beaks but they are persistent so they do actually manage to even chew through decent bits of wood given enough time- plastic that is hard enough to stop them destroying it would possibly be the kind that would shatter if anything put too much stress on the structure so I can't imagine what kind of plastic mesh you have come across that may be suitable to house birds behind.

Can you share a link for the mesh you want to use?
I have not chosen a specific mesh yet, I was just thinking about the possibility of this idea, thanks for reply!