• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The most safe material for home-made cage, or should I buy a cage one?

Limonko

Checking out the neighborhood
which is the most safe metal for parrot cage or will I buy a enamel covered cage?

I have 4 variants:

1. Aluminium (or duraluminium(I know that there is copper))

2. Nickel plated metals

3. Stainless stell

4. At this moment, my budget is only enough for a 76 x 46 x 46 enamel covered cage for ~52$.

in my country I can’t find anodised aluminium, but will it be the best choice?

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
BUMP

OrangIsld

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jackson
stainless steel is usually the best way to go but honestly, stainless steel is expensive, it'd probably cost less to buy a cage. Nickel plated metals are also safe, I'm personally 50/50 on aluminium - it doesnt rust but make sure you're cleaning it, aluminum oxide is non toxic but can be breathed in. Make sure you do not get metal that can rust or is galvanised.
Obviously if youre making your own cage, consider bar spacing, types of door locks for different birds. (for example the lock on my cage is suitable for budgies but a larger bird could probably open it)
Heres a good resource on bird safe metals

Limonko

Checking out the neighborhood
stainless steel is usually the best way to go but honestly, stainless steel is expensive, it'd probably cost less to buy a cage. Nickel plated metals are also safe, I'm personally 50/50 on aluminium - it doesnt rust but make sure you're cleaning it, aluminum oxide is non toxic but can be breathed in. Make sure you do not get metal that can rust or is galvanised.
Obviously if youre making your own cage, consider bar spacing, types of door locks for different birds. (for example the lock on my cage is suitable for budgies but a larger bird could probably open it)
Heres a good resource on bird safe metals
Thank you, I'll probably choose stainless steel, but first I'll choose good grades of stainless steel, when I choose, I'll answer at this thread

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Love to see pictures of what you make too

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Stainless steel is the best. I'm unsure of the other metals. (Just a heads up, make sure you check of materials like screws, and wood to endure they are not toxic either)

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Stainless steel is best, but very expensive. High-quality Galvanised after welding (GAW) wire is safe once it has been scrubbed with vinegar or left outside for a few weeks. I know people are going to disagree with me on this, but I know plenty of people who keep birds in GAW cages (and many who have been doing so for decades), and none who have reported the birds getting sick with heavy metal poisoning as a result.

Reactions: tka

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I currently I have a second hand stainless cage, I use to have 2. The first one was an avian adventure cage I really liked. The one I have now I'm unfortunately unsure of the manufacturer. My biggest problem with it is the rust. You really have to keep on top of it. Vinegar and a good scrub gets if off pretty well. But if given unlimited budget I'd look at aluminium. The non rust factor is really appealing

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I also agree with Stainless steel!