• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Pet conure had a seizure!

skittles30

Checking out the neighborhood
(I'm not entirely sure how to use this website since I'm new so far, but I have a concern that really worries me.)

I have two pet conures and both of them had grabbed a flaming hot cheeto out of the bag, they had done this before and we're fine so I didn't think much of it when they did it again today. One of them starts screaming, flapping her wings uncontrollably, flying around the house and hitting the wall. She calmed down after about 2 minutes and I held her as we gave her some water through a syringe. She seemed to have regained her energy now and is acting like her usual self again, but I've had both of these parrots for two years now and they've never done that before. What confuses me is that my other conure ate more than her and he's acting completely normal! I wanted to bring them to the vet but they're closed right now and the exotic vet is out, I'm not sure what to do next. Please help!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m a little confused about the actual issue as your description doesn’t really sound like a seizure to me, it sounds to me more like your bird maybe got a fright?

Either way- after hitting the wall you want to make sure the bird is behaving normally and maybe keep it warm and quiet till you can either get a vet to check it out or you’re sure everything is ok.

skittles30

I’m a little confused about the actual issue as your description doesn’t really sound like a seizure to me, it sounds to me more like your bird maybe got a fright?

Either way- after hitting the wall you want to make sure the bird is behaving normally and maybe keep it warm and quiet till you can either get a vet to check it out or you’re sure everything is ok.
I think you might be right, now that I realize it, I was approaching her with a towel because she had cheeto dust on her foot and she isn’t really a big fan of those. I thought it was a seizure because she seemed to have lost control in her body. I was thinking of the worst possible reason that I completely overlooked that part. I’ll still be keeping an eye on her just in case though, thank you!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m not saying it wasn’t a seizure (I sure hope it wasn’t!) or that what happened isn’t a concern- hitting a wall or just having a fright can be a problem sometimes too so keep an eye on your feather butt. Please keep us updated, especially if there’s any concerns or changes.

skittles30

I’m not saying it wasn’t a seizure (I sure hope it wasn’t!) or that what happened isn’t a concern- hitting a wall or just having a fright can be a problem sometimes too so keep an eye on your feather butt. Please keep us updated, especially if there’s any concerns or changes.
It's been about 8-9 hours since it happens and so far she seems normal....other than the fact that she started being aggressive towards me, biting me really hard when I ask her to step up. Maybe she's grumpy about me trying to wipe her foot with a towel? I've been a bird mother for over two years now but sometimes I still catch myself confused over her body language, she's a really anxious bird but I've never seen her react that way.