• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pellet Question

cricketiel

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Dana
Hello all!

I have recently begun converting my new cockatiel, Cricket, from seeds to pellets. I have found that he really likes the Zupreem Natural pellets, but the medium size (which is designed for cockatiels) is a little too big for him to eat comfortably and seems to be discouraging him from eating many of the pellets. Do you think it would be okay if I were to feed him the small bird version of these pellets? I am not sure if the nutrition is different for the pellets depending on size since they target different species.

Thanks so much!

Dana

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I think there may be a few brands that have the same formula for their pellets regardless of their size but then there are some that target the different needs of different species. Best to check ingredients and nutritional panel on the two and if they’re the same then there’s no issue feeding any size pellet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Zupreem Natural is the exact same formula regardless of the size. Feed whichever they prefer!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you think the medium sized you have are too big you could always grind them up a bit to make them smaller.
Are you planning on converting your 'tiel to 100% pellets. 'tiels need seeds in their diets so continue providing a quality seed mix as well as the pellets.

Jisoo

Sprinting down the street
zupreem natural uses the same formula for all sizes of pellets. it's totally fine to give him the smaller version. I know of some conures who like the tiny version.