• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pascal

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I am stealing Monaco's idea and using this as a little journal for Pascal and our progress haha nobody around me likes birds so you guys are the only ones I can talk to about them! Also this way I am not blowing up the ekkie board with a million threads haha
I brought him home on Monday feb 4th. He stayed in his travel carrier for hours (with the door open). I stepped out of the room for a minute and heard fluttering and walked back in. He was on the top of his cage haha a few minutes later he flew a circle around the living room and kitchen and landed on the drop down door of his cage. He hung out there for about an hour before hopping into his cage. Whil he was on the door he took a few almond slivers out of my hand. Since then he has eaten some apple slices and almond slivers out of my hand but will not step up. I'm not pushing him though! He has flown onto the ground 4 times. The first two times I held him for a little while, then put him on his cage before he got antsy. The 3rd time I held him and then placed him on one of his stands. He immediately flew to the cage. The last time I held him and then put him on his stand. He acted like he wanted to get to the cage so I stuck my arm out for him to step up. He put one foot on me and then seemed to realize what he was doing and hopped off really quick. He flew back to his cage a few minutes later.
He is hand shy. Even when on my arm he was attacking my hand (the hand attached to the arm he was standing on haha). I updated the breeder on how we were doing and was told I was letting him get away with stuff. She said I should force him to step up. If he doesnt want to i should pull his foot off the porch and put it on my hand. Then cover his feet with my finger so he cant escape.. so I imagine that is why he hates hands. I am working with him a few minutes each day trying to get him closer to my hand with almond slices and apples!
The breeder also originally said she weaned onto fresh foods, but when I went to pick him up I found out he had been eating pellets. She said he didnt really like fresh and just picked at it. That day he had eaten some cucumber she said. I was worried about how hard it was going to be to switch him over! Well he is loving it. He dives right in. And flings it everywhere! I thought my cockatoo was a messy eater. WRONG :lol: he is also eating sprouts although he tries to pick them out. I feed him around the same time each day. This morning I could tell he was getting used to it because when I walked in and he saw me he jumped down to his perch in front of the spot where his food bowl goes. He sat there and watched me while I chopped everything and got it ready.
The breeder told me he loves baths with a spray bottle. I have tried a little each day but could tell he did not want it. I figured he was still settling in and he didnt trust me enough to let his guard down and bathe. Today i was vacuuming and he was letting loose! He was chattering away to himself and puffing up and holding out his wings. I have read many things that say the sound of a vacuum makes some ekkies want to bathe so I filled the spray bottle and dropped the top door of his cage. He hopped right out and was ready to go! I was spraying above him and he was really getting into it! He kept trying to shove his face directly into the spray bottle haha he got good and soaked and hopped back in and started preening. He is looking like a little drowned rat :loltears:
Anyway we are making a very small amount of progress but progress is progress

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Poor Pascal having the breeder treat him like that.

Well you are living the good life now Pascal.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I love this! I'm thrilled to be seeing new ekkies around the forum! The monologues have helped me see a couple of things clearer, and find some patterns. I hope you get the same benefits. The rest of us will sit back and enjoy it :popcorn::intrvw:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Great thread, will follow. :)
Good that you are encourage him to fly. Very important! :)
And great that he still can fly when he is clipped.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I love these kinds of threads! I've never been able to get my Cockatoo on my hand, but we've made the arm work alright for now. I believe he was treated the same at some point, with someone holding his toes. Pascal is gorgeous, I live vicariously through you Ekkie owners!

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Flying around last night!
I felt good last night. I was cleaning the door to his food bowl and usually if I have to get in his cage he gets as far away as he can. Well I wasnt paying attention and just cleaning away. I looked up and he had hopped onto the drop down door and was like 3 inches from my face looking over craning his neck to see what was going on! For like half a second when I looked up I thought "well this is it.. I'm about to lose an eye" :loltears: but then i actually looked at him and saw that he was just investigating

Attachments

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
I have learn to take everything at their pace. Beau came to live with us just before Christmas. Lately he has watched me bring the rest of the flock into the livingroom in the morning. I take them to the potty spot so they can relieve themselves. I started taking him there a few days agi before putting him into his day cage. Now he goes potty there too. He is such a sweetheart. Everything at his pace. He actually let me touch my cheek to him while sitting on my shoulder, which thrilled me to no end!

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Great thread, will follow. :)
Good that you are encourage him to fly. Very important! :)
And great that he still can fly when he is clipped.
I asked the breeder not to clip him.. I think she got tired of chasing him around so she clipped 2 or 3 on each wing. It doesnt seem to stop him haha

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Love this thread! I’m so happy Pascal found a loving home where he won’t be forced to do anything... I hate hearing how breeders tell new parront things like that :(
I just adore those flying pics- he’s a very beautiful birb :loveshower: I think you two are going to have a very special relationship.

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I'm wondering everyone's thoughts on weaning him off of pellets.. he has been eating fresh every day and enjoying it. I put pellets in one bowl and his fresh food in the other. I have been pulling the pellets out when i put fresh food in.. but I have no idea if he is ready for me to stop them completely because I cant handle him yet to weigh him! I'm scared I'm going to starve him. He always eats the heck out of the pellets when I put them back in the cage like he has been starving for days! Should I just continue the pellets until I can weigh him? I dont know what to do!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I would let him have the pellets until you both settle in together. Add a few to his fresh food if you want, and weigh him when he's ready. No rush. You have lots of time.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I would let him have the pellets until you both settle in together. Add a few to his fresh food if you want, and weigh him when he's ready. No rush. You have lots of time.
Agree. :)

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Today has been good too! Every time I got near his cage he hopped out and got as close to me as he could while still being on his cage!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I love that feeling when they find you too interesting to resist!

I really started making progress with Monaco on those days, and it just keeps growing and getting better. It especially helped to have fun near her with others. I don't have any people, but I played with my dog, cat, and did paper work and other things in front of her. I bet he will get very interested being able to check you out covertly like that, and see what he's missing. Now there's a rule about including Monaco in everything or else! She did not warn me about the new rule, and now we're working on a friendly request to join in instead of the paint peeling screach to get my attention...some days I get a nice beep or word.

So good to know he's interested in what you're up to!

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I was just doing dishes at the kitchen sink and he flew from his cage onto my head! Then he climbed down to my shoulder and sat there for a minute before he decided to go explore the hallway and see what that was about. He flew into our game room and landed on a chair and then hopped onto my hand! :birdance::flowgdnc: