• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pascal

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I was finally able to weigh him today.. I just did it to see how he would do. He had already eaten before so i know it is off some but he was 388 grams. I'm having a hard time finding a good weight online for him because everything I'm finding gives an average from all adult male eclectus or I've found some for vos or grand but not SI and hes not an adult yet!

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I bet as long as his weight doesn't decline you won't need to worry. The breeder should be able to tell you how much he weighed when he left, and possibly how much he is likely to gain per month or some other period.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I was finally able to weigh him today.. I just did it to see how he would do. He had already eaten before so i know it is off some but he was 388 grams. I'm having a hard time finding a good weight online for him because everything I'm finding gives an average from all adult male eclectus or I've found some for vos or grand but not SI and hes not an adult yet!
I really like your thread since our babies were born around the same time we can compare! Basil hit 300 this week after dinner, he has been hanging around 304 after breakfast lately!
If Pascal's weight goes down one day don't be scared, but if it keeps going down a couple days in a row, vet time!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I painted the wall with satin poly.... scrub and done. But its a bit late for that with the VOC's.
Ekkies are by far one of the messiest birds

whole diets = whole lotta mess!

I have a small dog for the floor- canine hoover- LOL

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I'm so paranoid I am still giving him pellets.

In the first few weeks- give him whatever he wants- :) But explore as many different fruits and veggie as possible. Figs are great!
For less 'color' try: passionfruit, dragon fruit, kiwi, etc. They still have those little seeds for fun, but less 'Jackson pollock' capabilities ;)

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Ok, so he is a little boy. Watch for him to fill out-

Have you ever 'checked' for weight? it involves feeling the keel bone (the sterum basically). It tissue on either side should be a nice slope- not concave, not protruding.
@Miss Annamarie make sure you weigh your baby...

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie

Have you ever 'checked' for weight? it involves feeling the keel bone (the sterum basically). It tissue on either side should be a nice slope- not concave, not protruding.
I do twice a day, dont worry

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran

I have not yet because he is still not a huge fan of me touching around his chest. I can pick him up, rub around his head and neck, but the chest is still off limits at this time haha he is eating well. He jumps right in when I give him his food bowl(twice a day fresh food), a kabob in the middle of the day, and soaked or sprouted seeds to munch on throughout the day. He still goes to pellets sometimes. When I see that I try to throw something in his fresh bowl to get him to eat that instead, like a blueberry, fig, raspberry, carrot, or pepper.. or something else haha depends on the day. Usually he will leave the pellets and go for what I put in there. He is also flying a lot so he is very active!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@reffek94
Sounds like you are doing everything right- variety is the spice of life!
(I always say). I recently found a frozen bag of papaya, mango, strawberry and canteloupe at a market in Minnesota! lol- It is great for eclectus if you are short for time. More sugar = more better.

Because of the anatomical fiber and dietary needs, I give peppers in lesser quantity.

Flying a lot means: at that weight he is burning about 40 calories a day- so have as much variety as possible. As a reference: There are 95 calories in an apple...

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
While @Miss Annamarie and I are getting schooled in eclectus diet by @mythic55 haha this is an idea of Pascal's diet each day.. any comments/suggestions on it are welcome and wanted!

In the morning I usually always include carrots (shredded, chunks, slices, or sticks) and sprouts.
Then I ad some kind of greens (kale, spinach, mustard greens, dandelion greens are the ones I have tried so far. 2 or 3 different types of peppers, zucchini or squash, a cherry tomato. I usually add 2 or 3 types of fruit. Figs, blueberry, raspberry, mango, red currants, apple, kiwi.

Mid day he gets a kabob fruits and veggies

And at night I always include either sweet potato or butternut squash and sprouts.
Add greens (a different green than he had for breakfast) , radish, zucchini or squash (whichever he didnt have earlier), brown rice, and 2 or 3 fruits (different than breakfast)!

He also has pellets available all day while I work on weaning him off of them. Sprouts or soaked seed available throughout the day. A few almond slivers as treats or pepitas, or pecans.

This is where we are so far but each week I buy new things for him to try so I can switch h it up more each day. So far bananas are apparently the devil, and he tries to pick out the radishes!

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
I was folding clothes and he just flew onto my hand!

Whenever I open his cage he hops out and comes as close as he can while staying on the cage. Now he likes it when I kiss his beak (big risk for my face :loltears: ) and he holds his face out waiting for me to do it
Just want to say your little boy looks very happy and healthy. They are one of the most loving birds I have had. Once they decide they own you, they definitely wear their hearts on their sleeves. Thanks for posting.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Carrots are good (better if steamed)
Sprouts (moderate)

Kale is good; Swiss chard is not (steer clear)
Spinach (steer clear)
Peppers (minimum)
Zucchni and squash (lots of it- steam winter squash first if possible)
Radish are not ideal

Fruit choices look great

Kabob often means corn- just be carfeul with quantity

Brown rice is OK

Try more fleshy fruits: Guava, Passionfruit, Figs, Pomegranates, Mango, Cantaloupe, Plums, Blueberries, Papaya, Apricot, Nectarines, Cherries, Kiwi

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
It finally felt good enough to go out so we got to go on the porch for the first time. Got some good flying pictures!

Attachments

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Carrots are good (better if steamed)
Sprouts (moderate)

Kale is good; Swiss chard is not (steer clear)
Spinach (steer clear)
Peppers (minimum)
Zucchni and squash (lots of it- steam winter squash first if possible)
Radish are not ideal

Fruit choices look great

Kabob often means corn- just be carfeul with quantity

Brown rice is OK

Try more fleshy fruits: Guava, Passionfruit, Figs, Pomegranates, Mango, Cantaloupe, Plums, Blueberries, Papaya, Apricot, Nectarines, Cherries, Kiwi
I havent given him corn, or swiss chard. What's wrong with spinach? Just curious. I havent given him much because it doesnt seem to keep very well so I kind of gave up on that haha I didn't really think about radishes before but it makes sense.. they live in the trees so I guess they wont be pulling radishes for their food :loltears: I'll cut that out. I usually use zucchini and squash on the kabob with fruit and a pepper slice. I havent been able to find guavas or pomegranates but I have been looking! I think I need to go to the store at a different time. It is ALWAYS slammed when I go. It's hard to think in there (it's called Wegmans). Its a little overwhelming in there because there is SO much to choose from. But its so crowded all the time its miserable and hard to choose because everyone is trying to look or pick stuff and knocking each other out of the way. I usually just stand back and look and then as soon as someone moves out of the way dive in real quick and grab something :loltears: it's a bit pathetic but I dont want to get into a fist fight over kale hahaha. I need to just sit and make a list and go in determined to get what's on it instead of going in and looking around and deciding there. Anyway this has turned into a longer comment than I anticipated :lol:

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
How long should the tail of a lentil sprout be when you feed them to your birds?