• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrot sneezing, gasping ? (Sad update #29)

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
I am so so confuse. I don’t know if this is coughing, sneezing/gasping. I have taken the bird to the vet after her liver biopsy like 4 times already the last time he flushed her nostrils. I am so so frustrated and worried. He told me it was because of the intubation and she aspirated a little bit of formula. I was able to upload some videos on YouTube so that I can share it here. The first video she is taking nap she usually doesnt sneeze or gasp. I am so sorry for all the misspelling on my post,I am on my phone and I have three different languages on my keyboard.
Vet says he doesn’t want to do anything about this for now because the bird had liver biopsy recently and she is on medication for heavy metal and for clostridium. And he doesn’t think this is serious. But I am already paranoid with the bird.
After flapping her wings

Nap no sneezing or gasping

It happens every time she is moving being active

here she was flapping her wings being active

@Pixiebeak
@Mizzely
@Milo

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am so so confuse. I don’t know if this is coughing, sneezing/gasping. I have taken the bird to the vet after her liver biopsy like 4 times already the last time he flushed her nostrils. I am so so frustrated and worried. He told me it was because of the intubation and she aspirated a little bit of formula. I was able to upload some videos on YouTube so that I can share it here. The first video she is taking nap she usually doesnt sneeze or gasp. I am so sorry for all the misspelling on my post,I am on my phone and I have three different languages on my keyboard.
Vet says he doesn’t want to do anything about this for now because the bird had liver biopsy recently and she is on medication for heavy metal and for clostridium. And he doesn’t think this is serious. But I am already paranoid with the bird.
After flapping her wings

Nap no sneezing or gasping

It happens every time she is moving being active

here she was flapping her wings being active

@Pixiebeak
@Mizzely
@Milo
Has your vet seen this first video that you labelled "After flapping her wings"?

Also, Has your vet seen the sneezing video?

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Has your vet seen this first video that you labelled "After flapping her wings"?

Also, Has your vet seen the sneezing video?
He has and he does not want to do anything about this. He says this will resolve. I have taken the bird like 4 times. And nothing

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
@Shezbug don’t you think this would be an emergency?. I am stating to think this vet does not care. It’s been two weeks already that this bird has been like this.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Was your vet an Avian vet?
Have they given you at home care instructions?

If after exercise happens to be the only time your bird shows struggles with breathing then I personally would limit the amount of exercise/activity.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Was your vet an Avian vet?
Have they given you at home care instructions?

If after exercise happens to be the only time your bird shows struggles with breathing then I personally would limit the amount of exercise/activity.
She get like that when flapping her wings. Yes he is an avian vet. He told me that after I am done with the bottle of nebulizer albuterol then I should stop giving her. He told me to give her nebulizer every 4-6 hours. The sneezing is when she is preening and sometimes when she eats, and definitely when she is active playing with her toys or flapping her wings. I do took her into steamy bathroom to see if it helps on some days.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I am so so confuse. I don’t know if this is coughing, sneezing/gasping. He told me it was because of the intubation and she aspirated a little bit of formula. I was able to upload some videos on YouTube so that I can share it here. “ UNQUOTE

For what it’s worth, I find those vids concerning. Flapping like that shouldn’t make her pant. Moving around as she was doing shouldn’t make her wheeze.

I wish I knew what this vet is thinking. I wonder if aspirating the formula is what compromises her breathing so much; and he expects this to improve as the lung damage resolves. That’s my guess.

Last edited:

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Hope they are ok thinking of you

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope they are able to find a way to help. Please update us when you can.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
That's gasping in my opinion....it is scary to watch. I can understand your concern. Her nostrils are dilated and open moth gasps. Clearly respiratory distress.

Even at rest I see some increased respiratory effort.

I have some worry that there could be an airsac torn ....do you feel any crackles under skin or puffy areas? Like if you run your hands on her neck body and chest with medium pressure fo you feel pop it crackle or hear? You don't always have to have this if it's more internal. But if you do then indicate torn airsac. All of this is just a thought, it's been awhile seen I've seen torn airsac....

With aspiration cases I've seen it's little more true coughing and hacking and sneeze, with more sick bird symptoms. But each case is unique and each parrot's response is unique.

It's true that the body should try and heal it's self and things take time.
But if it happened to be a torn airsac./ Torn trachea ..most I've seen require intervention and usually surgical repair. Again keep in mind I'm not s vet, I'm not there in person , and I can only thow out ideas.

I see you are st the vets now. I pray they have answers and make you feel comfortable.

If you leave not feeling comfortable about the situation. Please seek an svusn veterinarian college for second opinion. Or find a different avain veterinarian practice and seek a second opinion.

I know a veterinarian who participates in international consulting company, they work with your veterinarian and provide support. I'm not sure exactly how it works .... But if you need me to I will ask .

Much love and prayers to you.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I think this is the consulting company. Your vet has to register with them and they consulting and help your vet. It's not directly with you.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
There’s no way to send hugs but I’m thinking of you and your bird. I’m glad you brought her in to the vet. I would have been yelling down the phone.

I hope she is ok.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
if is an air sac torn. Wouldn’t you think this could be because of the intubation. When I came to pick her up after the biopsy she was already like this. It has gotten worse for sure.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Th
That's gasping in my opinion....it is scary to watch. I can understand your concern. Her nostrils are dilated and open moth gasps. Clearly respiratory distress.

Even at rest I see some increased respiratory effort.

I have some worry that there could be an airsac torn ....do you feel any crackles under skin or puffy areas? Like if you run your hands on her neck body and chest with medium pressure fo you feel pop it crackle or hear? You don't always have to have this if it's more internal. But if you do then indicate torn airsac. All of this is just a thought, it's been awhile seen I've seen torn airsac....

With aspiration cases I've seen it's little more true coughing and hacking and sneeze, with more sick bird symptoms. But each case is unique and each parrot's response is unique.

It's true that the body should try and heal it's self and things take time.
But if it happened to be a torn airsac./ Torn trachea ..most I've seen require intervention and usually surgical repair. Again keep in mind I'm not s vet, I'm not there in person , and I can only thow out ideas.

I see you are st the vets now. I pray they have answers and make you feel comfortable.

If you leave not feeling comfortable about the situation. Please seek an svusn veterinarian college for second opinion. Or find a different avain veterinarian practice and seek a second opinion.

I know a veterinarian who participates in international consulting company, they work with your veterinarian and provide support. I'm not sure exactly how it works .... But if you need me to I will ask .

Much love and prayers to you.
e vet doesn’t want to participate in anything he doesn’t care for any of this :(

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It wouldn't be wrong to get a second opinion from another vet. What did the vet say today?