• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrot Rescue visit tomorrow!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I don't know if Opie would be inclined to go after the electric cord for the heating panel.....can he grab it from inside the cage? With mine I either have it arranged so they can't reach it from inside or outside, or else I remove it during the day and it is only there at dark sleeping time.
They used to sell hangers for the unit that made that all easy.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know if Opie would be inclined to go after the electric cord for the heating panel.....can he grab it from inside the cage? With mine I either have it arranged so they can't reach it from inside or outside, or else I remove it during the day and it is only there at dark sleeping time.
They used to sell hangers for the unit that made that all easy.
He hasn’t shown any interest in it so far. He had the exact same heater at the rescue and never bothered it. But you are right, I need to keep it in mind and work to protect him and the cord.

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was having lunch in with Opie, and he seemed to think he might like a bit of peanut butter sandwich! :) I declined, lol!
You were not inclined to agree? You're way tougher than me. That face has me convinced from here! :xflove:
Sorry but you'll have to send me your address, I have some peanut butter sandwiches to send! They're coming Opie, I promise!

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:congrats5: :starshower1: :dance4:

I think little Kuiper’s scraggly look might be from his time outside, it looks like some missing feathers on the back of the head and the wing feather could’ve just been bent at the tip by something. Kiwi’s had a flight feather with a similar looking bent end before.

I wonder if it’s possible for a feather to grow in weird that way but just as a one time thing?

9F236D71-5E61-48E6-969B-EF4F406EED33.jpeg

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think he was more picked on/chewed on by the other budgies at the rescue. My rep claims he didn’t have that flight feather problem when he was in foster care or went to the vet.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I think a good, soaking bath will help Kuiper! ;)

Glad to see both are home safe and sound! :D Can't wait to see how they progress!

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I think he was more picked on/chewed on by the other budgies at the rescue. My rep claims he didn’t have that flight feather problem when he was in foster care or went to the vet.
I think he was picked on too. Opal has a bent tail feather from Sunbeam.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wednesday of next week is the vet appointment for my newbies! Fecal parasite and gram stain, Polyoma Virus, BFD Virus, CBC, and baseline x-rays. Cha-Ching! :broke:They have both already been tested for Chlamydia (psittacosis) and were negative. I suspect that my little Kuiper may be too small to obtain a sufficient blood sample for all of the blood tests. We'll have to have a conversation about the priorities for testing with him. The vet record I was given for him states that he was 38 g at that time, which seems impossible to me. He's smaller than my two boys who bounce around 35 g most of the time. :shrug:

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
:congrats5: :starshower1: :dance4:

I think little Kuiper’s scraggly look might be from his time outside, it looks like some missing feathers on the back of the head and the wing feather could’ve just been bent at the tip by something. Kiwi’s had a flight feather with a similar looking bent end before.

I wonder if it’s possible for a feather to grow in weird that way but just as a one time thing?

View attachment 371328
Wait when did you adopted him? I know about Opie!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Congratulations @Kassiani ! I am so happy for you and the birds! Finally!:cngrt5::congratualtions:

I am excited to hear about you and Opie's interactions!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Wednesday of next week is the vet appointment for my newbies! Fecal parasite and gram stain, Polyoma Virus, BFD Virus, CBC, and baseline x-rays. Cha-Ching! :broke:They have both already been tested for Chlamydia (psittacosis) and were negative. I suspect that my little Kuiper may be too small to obtain a sufficient blood sample for all of the blood tests. We'll have to have a conversation about the priorities for testing with him. The vet record I was given for him states that he was 38 g at that time, which seems impossible to me. He's smaller than my two boys who bounce around 35 g most of the time. :shrug:
They test for Chlamydia as it can be transmitted to humans least thats what I think.

Good luck with the vet visit & hope it goes well.

Kuiper might be small but his time out might have gained muscle from flying?
I'm sure your guys don't have to fly miles all day to survive so they might be bigger but muscle weighs more (least in general) so he might have had more muscle when they found him.

Be interesting to see what Kuiper weighs now. When did they weigh him last?

Last edited:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They test for Chlamydia as it can be transmitted to humans least thats what I think.
Yes, it is zoonotic and they can't afford the liability of possibly being sued if someone gets sick. It would destroy the work they are trying to do.
Kuiper might be small but his time out might have gained muscle from flying?
I don't know that the density difference between avian muscle and fat would create a 3 g difference, and I don't know how long he had been out on his own. It could have been 1 day or 6 months.
When did they weigh him last?
November 2020

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I don't know that the density difference between avian muscle and fat would create a 3 g difference, and I don't know how long he had been out on his own. It could have been 1 day or 6 months.

November 2020
Don't know what to tell you as I was just trying to come up with a reason why he might weigh more than your birds despite being smaller.