• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Parrot keeps breaking blood feathers!

ibibat

Checking out the neighborhood
So I have a 6 year old lovebird and in the past 2 months he started breaking blood feathers. He’s had them for 6 years but never broke them but it started 2 months ago. Every time he breaks them and I see blood, I get my mum to pull the broken blood feathers out with tweezers, but we have done this for about 30 feathers and they keep growing. It hurts both my parrot and me to see and I was wondering if there’s anything I can do to prevent him from breaking them as I’m sure it’s bad for his health.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would take him to the vet for a check up. I had a little tiel that for a couple of months kept breaking blood feathers. I still don’t know exactly why, and everything else seemed fine with him, until one day he got very sick and died at the vets two days later. He ended up having septicemia because I guess his wing got infected. It never looked infected, and I can kick myself for not finding out about his bleeding feathers sooner. I’m not saying this will happen to your bird, he will probably be fine, but you might what to see what an experienced bird vet has to say.