• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Paranoid Grey owner

BatmansWife

Meeting neighbors
Hello!

We have a 5 month CAG named Gotham . We've only had him for a month and a half. We feel he is adjusting extremely well and is pretty fearless. One of the biggest things I'm worried about is plucking. Whenever he's preening I constantly question if it's too much. Only found one of his small grey feathers once but I find the floofies everywhere, I know these are common. Can anyone tell me how many I should see daily? 5? Less than 10? I just need some sort of comparison. He has lots of toys and out of the cage time. He plays well by himself. How may times a day does your grey preen?

Thanks!

Susan and Oliver

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Floofies are part of sharing your home with a grey and normal for a baby. His grey feathers should fall here and there with a big shed around 10-12 months or so. All good Mum's stress but this is likely fine. Let's see a picture of this boy <3

Oliver send regards to baby Gotham. He's almost 14 and has been here since he was a wee chicky.

Last edited:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Tyrion is a very aggressive preener he cleans himself all the time and sometimes its a lil harder then I would want but I think he makes a game of it ...he is 2 1/2 yrs after all and makes a game of about everything ...I watch him closely while he cleans himself because like you I worry about plucking ..but I think he just likes to be clean and likes to play so cleaning and playing go hand and hand :D

Amillio

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I get paranoid too. With my baby because he once had spots on his wings where he was rubbing against the cage bars and now his back is a little messy where he puts his head to sleep. Mine is 11 months old. I have yet to see him pluck but he does leave little fluffys all over. Then I stressed about my 10-11 year old grey plucking because of the new addition. So far everyone is fine and I am just paranoid. Make sure you give your guys baths atleast twice a week too that helps. I would also love to see a picture. I love the name too.

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
Lots of Fussies are normal. Mine has a small pile every morning, but never has any bald spots. So that is what you need to monitor.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I have a 13 month old CAG. Floofies everywhere everyday. Lots. like can't count the number....For the last 2 days at work, different folks pointed out floofies on my clothes that I hadn't seen before leaving the house. floofies after showers. Floofies everyday, everywhere. I bought a cordless dyson to try to keep up, and Louise has just now stopped freaking out when I use it.
Grooming is normal. Louise does it many times a day, when not playing, sleeping, watching us/birds outside or eating. When you find feathers that are pulled and did not come out at their time, I think that is the time to worry. there are pictures on the web of naturally molted vs plucked, the pic above is a good start.

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
Hello!

We have a 5 month CAG named Gotham . We've only had him for a month and a half. We feel he is adjusting extremely well and is pretty fearless. One of the biggest things I'm worried about is plucking. Whenever he's preening I constantly question if it's too much. Only found one of his small grey feathers once but I find the floofies everywhere, I know these are common. Can anyone tell me how many I should see daily? 5? Less than 10? I just need some sort of comparison. He has lots of toys and out of the cage time. He plays well by himself. How may times a day does your grey preen?

Thanks!
It is completely normal to find floofies all over, Ace's go EVERYWHERE when he preens himself :D . The weird thing is that the place I got my grey from had a baby grey (he went home around a month ago when my Acey did) named Gotham and it was in Florida as well. They were all the same age so the Gotham I know is around 5 months old too. I am officially spooped :rofl:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Birds probably spend 80% of their time preening and grooming their feathers. That's most of the time. They lose feathers all the time. It is a constant and ongoing thing. Plucking is an "exaggerated" form of preening. Your bird is too young to have developed that problem. He's still a baby.

BatmansWife

Meeting neighbors
image.jpeg
Wow
thanks everyone for answering! I feel so much better! We are slowly introducing him to a mister bottle...he will tolerate a couple sprays near him but not enough to really get a bath. I haven't tried a shallow dish with water yet. I caught him trying to bath in his water bowl after I sprayed him but it was just a tad too small.
It's funny...I google everything but didn't even think to google what plumed feathers look like...great idea!
Here's a picture of Gotham aka The Gothman Prophecies :hehe:. He just woke up from a nap!

BatmansWife

Meeting neighbors
It is completely normal to find floofies all over, Ace's go EVERYWHERE when he preens himself :D . The weird thing is that the place I got my grey from had a baby grey (he went home around a month ago when my Acey did) named Gotham and it was in Florida as well. They were all the same age so the Gotham I know is around 5 months old too. I am officially spooped :rofl:

I don't believe it! If you got him for the Golden Cockatoo...that's my Gotham! Really funny...they had 8 babies! Kate was the one we spoke with most...love her! Gotham was one of the last babies to go home because we decided to remodel before he came lol. Out with the carpet and yellow walls in with this really cool wood look tile and a calm grey!

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
I don't believe it! If you got him for the Golden Cockatoo...that's my Gotham! Really funny...they had 8 babies! Kate was the one we spoke with most...love her! Gotham was one of the last babies to go home because we decided to remodel before he came lol. Out with the carpet and yellow walls in with this really cool wood look tile and a calm grey!
:omg: Our greys are clutch mates! :rofl:

Amillio

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
My grey hated to be misted. I bought a shower perch and she tolerates her baths that way. My baby loves baths.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Pilo won't close his eyes till its time for bed! As he says! HEY... I might miss out on some fun! :rofl:

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I used to go to the Golden Cockatoo all the time and admire the Greys they had. Thats where I first met Caiques. Do they still have the old store caique there? He was always so gorgeous. I miss going there but I live in Tampa now.

You all have such gorgeous greys :heart:

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
I used to go to the Golden Cockatoo all the time and admire the Greys they had. Thats where I first met Caiques. Do they still have the old store caique there? He was always so gorgeous. I miss going there but I live in Tampa now.

You all have such gorgeous greys :heart:
Bernie (Benny? Something with a B) is definitely still there, I actually played with him quite a bit the other day :hehe:

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Bernie (Benny? Something with a B) is definitely still there, I actually played with him quite a bit the other day :hehe:

Isn't he stunningly beautiful :heart: he is the reason I have a caique now. I walked into the store and saw his red eyes and heard his wolf whistle and I was sold