• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parakeet clear system/stomach

pat21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pat
Hello,

So last week my parakeet started to throw up and I went to the vet. Turns out the Vet told me she had fibers in her system from a coconut toy (The toy was thrown away when I got home) and gave me medicine called Carafate Suspension. I was told give for 3-5 days and I gave it for 4. Now about 8 days later I noticed her regurgitating (this time I didn’t see any white stuff or anything bubbly come out her mouth, just spitting seeds) I called the vet and they told me to give her the medicine again. Now my question is how long would something stay in a birds system for (such as those fibers)? I thought most of the fibers would be gone by now but I’m not sure what to do.

(*My bird is still active and flying around so that part seems fine, but I’m still a little worried lol)

Thanks

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I will stay in his system until an infection develops, he passes them through his digestive system or he regurgitates them. If your vet says to continue giving him the carafate - continue.

pat21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pat
I will stay in his system until an infection develops, he passes them through his digestive system or he regurgitates them. If your vet says to continue giving him the carafate - continue.
Hey thanks for the response. They didn’t tell me for how long I should give them the medicine for. So that’s where I’m lost too.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Continue until your vet tells you not to give it any longer. We are NOT vets and cannot telll you what to do or not to do.

pat21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pat
Continue until your vet tells you not to give it any longer. We are NOT vets and cannot telll you what to do or not to do.
Yeah I understand, they told me on phone to do it for the rest of the week. I hope all turns out good. Thanks

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Wonder how the vet knew she had coconut fibers in her system? [hanging out of one end or other? / xray? / etc ]... :confused:

pat21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pat
Wonder how the vet knew she had coconut fibers in her system? [hanging out of one end or other? / xray? / etc ]... :confused:
I think she did a gram swap test or whatever that’s called and she did notice fibers from that.

also in my birds poop I see like little brown lines which I’m thinking is from the fibers, so it seems like she is hopefully passing them all out.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
When my Jasper had pica and became impacted, it took about 5 weeks of Metamucil and peanut butter to get her to pass everything. You should put her poop in a plastic sack and smush it around to see if their are still fibers in it - until there are no more fibers for several days, there are still fibers.

pat21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pat
When my Jasper had pica and became impacted, it took about 5 weeks of Metamucil and peanut butter to get her to pass everything. You should put her poop in a plastic sack and smush it around to see if their are still fibers in it - until there are no more fibers for several days, there are still fibers.
Thanks for the info. I guess this will take longer than I thought.
Did any of your birds throw up or regurgitate?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My birds were Greenwing macaws and did a lot of regurgitating most of the time (sexual). Both got infected crops when they were impacted and had to have antibiotics to clear the infections.