• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our Green cheek pineapple counure - Mojo

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
My conure will eat anything, but my other two will only consistently eat ZuPreem even though I continue to rotate through various options.

Nobody likes them due to the dyes and sugars (as @FiatLux mentioned), but I've read that people will have success with ZuPreem as a transitional choice if you try others and Mojo doesn't take to them. I wouldn't start there in case, like mine, Mojo doesn't want to move on from ZuPreem, but it's something to keep in mind if the other good options you listed aren't meet with approval.

Am i best just picking one and giving it a try and see how that go's or grab a couple and try a couple of types together or alternatively
When I try a new pellet, I just try that pellet, and it hasn't worked yet for my stubborn boys. I like your idea of grabbing two or three and mixing them together to watch what gets eaten and what ends up on the floor. That feels like the best way forward with no real down side. Your question was good to see in writing, as a trigger, so thanks for that.

Ideally i would like to get her on a couple of different types ... a safeguard if i cant get hold of the one type she is eating
If I can find two options that mine will eat without wasting one, I would do the same.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
@Mizzely has a good resource here too...

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My conure will eat anything, but my other two will only consistently eat ZuPreem even though I continue to rotate through various options.

Nobody likes them due to the dyes and sugars (as @FiatLux mentioned), but I've read that people will have success with ZuPreem as a transitional choice if you try others and Mojo doesn't take to them. I wouldn't start there in case, like mine, Mojo doesn't want to move on from ZuPreem, but it's something to keep in mind if the other good options you listed aren't meet with approval.

When I try a new pellet, I just try that pellet, and it hasn't worked yet for my stubborn boys. I like your idea of grabbing two or three and mixing them together to watch what gets eaten and what ends up on the floor. That feels like the best way forward with no real down side. Your question was good to see in writing, as a trigger, so thanks for that.

If I can find two options that mine will eat without wasting one, I would do the same.
I am new to this bird keeping lark ( excuse the pun ) however i have kept fish for a good while and just transfering how i approach feeding my fish lot of variety and observing what has been eaten or not and taking things from there.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Mizzely has a good resource here too...

Thats excellent thanks for sharing

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I definitely like mixing up pellets. Currently in the conures rotation: Roudybush California blend mini, Roudybush daily crumbles size, Lafeber tropical fruit pellet conure size, Tropican cockatiel 2mm size, Harrisons pepper fine, and Pretty Bird gold.

And @flyzipper if you think people hate on Zupreme… (I don’t by the way, I like it) you haven’t lived in the “My bird likes to eat Pretty Bird” camp. Pretty Bird is artificial every thing. Sweetened, artificially flavored junk for birds. I remember when it was actually a recommended food! It’s been around a long time and it’s something very easy to source and used to be highly praised. Not anymore, better has come out. But it serves it’s purpose in my rotation, and quite frankly I’m old enough to not give a hoot if every once and awhile the birds find some pretty bird in their mix and gorge themselves. I ate a #5 with large fries from McDonald’s for lunch today. It’s moderation that counts.

If pandemic has taught us anything, it’s those of whom are adaptable are inconvenienced the least. I didn’t worry about the conures when I couldn’t get one or two brands of pellets- they’ll eat and be fine with the ones that I can get in stock. So they’ve weathered this just fine.

Mojo doesn’t probably need as many different kinds as I offer, but I’d probably offer at least 2 different ones. She may like a certain style better- I.e softer cylindrical pellet vs hard extruded BB size and then within those parameters you can pick a couple brands.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think Pretty Bird is on par with Zupreem, and honestly I love that they have formulas that are geared towards certain species. Pretty Bird African Grey has higher calcium, for example. It is one of the pellets in my "for the love of all things holy, Ripley, just eat something besides Zupreem FruitBlend!" rotation.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Made a couple more toys today with what bits of toy making parts i have still got knocking about.
Going to order some more bits to make more and going to order roudybush and lafaber pellets and give them a go.
20210612_125155.jpg 20210612_120850.jpg

I have been making her chop twice daily but have decided im gonna buy a load of fresh stuff tomorrow make a load portion it up and freeze it.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The foraging toys i made for Mojo have had a decent reception.

20210613_173145.jpg 20210613_173554.jpg

I have got three types of pellets ordered labafer tropical fruits, roudybush daily crumb and pretty birds small bird.

Hopefully Mojo will get on them all and i can do a daily mix of the three of them.

She spent 5 hours out her cage this morning and then screamed whilst in her cage whilst i watched the football.

The foraging toys will get reloaded this evening when she is out of her cage.

I have ordered a load more toy making stuff as well so hopefully can get inventive and make some more stuff Mojo enjoys.

Gave her cage a deep clean today changed her toys around and moved a perch, she doesnt go anywhere bellow the bottom half of her cage so moved the perch so she might use it.

Attachments

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
You can request samples from several parrot food manufacturers and they will ask what bird you have and send you appropriate small bags to try free.
The best food is whatever your bird will actually eat. Nerd lived on raw health food seeds and eventually some pellets and whatever fruit and veggies he liked for 31 years including shelled peanuts because I never knew they were bad. Lurch loved Zupreem fruity pellets and and Harrisons in plain that theybsent me the requested samples. Dobby likes the Fruity as well but likes certain colors best and will eat most anything we offer. Pippen likes the tiny Conure sized fruity mix and also the bigger ones Dobby gets plus veggies and fruits, but same she likes certain colors best.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Weekly weigh in Mojo come in at 74 grams going to start weighing her daily whilst transitioning her to pellets so i can keep my eye on things.
20210613_103721.jpg

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shared a few pics with conures.n.co where i got Mojo from showing how tame she has become.
Great feedback from Dave about how tame she had become after being put back into the aviary for a number of weeks as he couldnt sell due to lockdown.

Had to put a bit of time in but well worth the time invested.

He also sent me some pics of his pineapple blues :bliss:lovely birds and i am looking forward to getting one to join Mojo.

Talking about Mojo

Loving her gym

20210615_184417.jpg 20210615_184415.jpg

Or just enjoying a lolly stick on my leg

20210615_144734.jpg

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are popsicles called lollies over there?
And Mojo looks like a king fu master with her stick. Love it :heart: