• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our Green cheek pineapple counure - Mojo

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yesterday we got our first parrot a pineapple green cheek conure we have called her Mojo she is 15 weeks old today

I managed to find a breeder that was about a hour's drive from us and after a few phone calls and a change of cage we got off in the car and picked her up.

managed to get her into the cage with no real issues initially she was very skitish yesterday was a big day for her leaving her aviary and her brothers and sisters she hung onto the sides of the cage for quite a lot of the day until the evening when she discovered a perch, she hadnt eaten since leaving the breeder in the morning and was showing no interest in food i had however cover the base of the cage with paper and had a good amount of food on the floor along with a bowl of food in the cage.
She discovered the food on the floor yesterday evening and had a good feed of her regular seed and sweetcorn,apple,carrot and millet she ate from the floor again this morning and throughout the day.

I gave the cage the base of the cage a clean durig the day removing and replacince the paper and adding more food and changed the food that was in her bowl changed her water for fresh water she was not best pleased when i had my hands in the cage and sulked for about an hour squaking every time she saw me.

she has since calmed down from my big hand's being in her cage and has spent a lot of time exploring her new home and showed a little bit of interest in the toys we have put in there but really doesnt know what to do with them at the moment.

This evening she discover her food bowl and had a really good feed of seed,sweetcorn,apple,carrot,strawberry and millet she definately appears to be growing more confident in her new home.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
20210425_181112.jpg

Finding her food bowl

20210425_171152.jpg

She likes this perch

20210425_190547.jpg

After eating all of the fruit and veg from her bowl she decided she wanted more sweetcorn so was back on the bottom of the cage on a sweetcorn hunt.

Dorcas George

:welcome2: She’s beautiful! Sounds like things are off to a good start.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welcome2: She’s beautiful! Sounds like things are off to a good start.
I am happy with how things are going but know i need to gain her trust over the coming weeks.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Most conures are easy! The way to their hearts is their bellies! Save some of the good stuff she loves as training treats!
She’ll be eating out of your hand in no time!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! She's very cute.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thought i would give a little update on Mojo she is much more settled now so much so i was able to get my hand in her cage today to clean the base and remove her water bowl that was down there with no drama whatsoever, up until now there was noise and wing flapping.
I had been putting the food on the floor as advised by the breeder to ensure she was getting food but she is eating and drinking confidently from the bowls on the side of the cage now.

She settles down to sleep at about 8pm and i cant help but chuckle when she does.

20210425_203410.jpg

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Oh she is so adorable!! :heart:

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree once she settles in comftorbly start to transition her to pellets since they are healthier and more balanced than seen, and maybe replace one or two of the dowels with more natural like perches, but overall great job for your first time, and congrats on your gorgeous baby:bliss:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree once she settles in comftorbly start to transition her to pellets since they are healthier and more balanced than seen, and maybe replace one or two of the dowels with more natural like perches, but overall great job for your first time, and congrats on your gorgeous baby:bliss:
Thanks

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you mean something like this ? Screenshot_20210428-104744_Samsung Internet.jpg

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yup here are some other perches too

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yup here are some other perches too

Thanks will have a look for something similar on UK Amazon thanks Mr Mango

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
She is lovely. Congrats!

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Congratulations! She's beautiful.

The natural wood perches provide exercise for her feet to prevent arthritis and other foot problems that can be caused by those dowels. I also recommend a rope perch or two, they're soft and comfortable for their feet. Just watch out for fraying or loose ends, if she consumes it she could get an impaction.

Also do some research on pellets, an all seed diet isn't healthy. The pellets provide a full diet and longer life. Some good brands are Harrisons, Roudybush, and TOPS. Just make sure you have some sort of vitamin D3 supplement with the TOPS. Make sure you learn about the transition, it can be tricky.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations! She's beautiful.

The natural wood perches provide exercise for her feet to prevent arthritis and other foot problems that can be caused by those dowels. I also recommend a rope perch or two, they're soft and comfortable for their feet. Just watch out for fraying or loose ends, if she consumes it she could get an impaction.

Also do some research on pellets, an all seed diet isn't healthy. The pellets provide a full diet and longer life. Some good brands are Harrisons, Roudybush, and TOPS. Just make sure you have some sort of vitamin D3 supplement with the TOPS. Make sure you learn about the transition, it can be tricky.
Thanks i am now planning on natural wood perches after the advice above i do have some rope perches to add when ready

Will look into pellets i am currently feeding her on the seed she was being fed by the breeder i bought her from as he gave me 3 weeks worthhave to ensure she was getting the food she was used to his rationale being a new home and new people is enough stress without changing her food at the same time, have also bought food he suggested to transition her over to that also contains dried berries and veg. The dowel perches are using the same logic as well i also have more toys to the cage but again not something she has been used to so just taking things slowly so as not to overwelm her.
she is not on an all seed diet and is getting fresh fruit and veg twice daily in addition to the seed, Sweetcorn,brocolli,carrot,kale,peppers,peas,apple,mango,pears,papaya and grapes. doesnt get all of the fruit and veg in one go but a selection from what is listed.
I am planning on feeding her sprouts as well going forward.

The guy i bought her from has been great with the advice he has given me and i dont doubt his exeperience he has been breeding and selling conures for 28 years and i do trust his judgement ( the fact he refused to sell me a conure as the bars where to wide on the cage i initially bought gave me a massive amount of confidence that this was not something he was doing just for the money he clearly cares for the birds he sells ) we are still in touch and he is still offering me advice either via whatssap or over the phone.

thanks for the feedback and yeah she is beautiful

Gigibirds

Congratulations! She's gorgeous! :heart: :cngrt5: