• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Opinions on BirdTricks?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
From my understanding (from a personal conversation I had with them) it is what Mizzely said plus the fact that birds know how much extra energy they have so if they’ve only got enough to sustain them for flight for a few hours as opposed to having stores of energy readily available they are not likely to want to fly too far away from their guaranteed food source (owners) while free flying. Most of the places they are free flying at have no (or very limited amounts of) water or food available for the birds to access- they need to come back or stay close incase they need a top up of energy or water.
While at home training or just hanging out it makes it easier to keep the birds focussed on the owners and motivated to work or do as asked because they learn that the way to get food is by complying to the wishes of their humans.

Monica

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Can someone explain the withholding of food training? I find it hard to believe two highly visible trainers BirdTricks and Parrot Wizard would openly recommend it unless it has some merit, while at the same time it sounds like it can be cruel, but I don't know the details, so not sure how I feel.

Lets put it this way.... Parrot Wizard learned from Bird Tricks.

Bird Tricks "stole" the methods of other trainers and claimed it as their own, lying about the training to hype up their sales. It was all a sales tactic. Add in some copyright infringement to make them appear better... some more crappy sales tactics to hype up their products.... They are sales people, not trainers who have a full understanding of the science of behavior.

In regards to withholding food... they may have killed one of their birds due to this practice...

If done correctly, food management can be a great method to work with birds! You train before meals or you remove the training rewards from their main diet, you change their diet around, etc. You *NEVER* attempt to decrease a bird's weight in order to train them, you simply change a few little things here or there.

Weight management is what they did... and they did it incorrectly. In the terms of falconers, you would train a bird at the bird's *highest* weight, not a lower weight. BT was lowering their birds weights to achieve training.

BT has come a long way from several years ago, and it's clear they enjoy helping people, but IMO, they still have a long way to go!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Promising quick fixes and implying that their way is the only way do not sit well with me. It's a business with aggressive marketing.

WindGlider

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Barbara McQuirns
Gosh, I love this forum! Thank you all for responding. My Toby loves his pine nuts and I use them as a reward when training. There are times when he is not in the mood, so no pine nuts, but he ALWAYS has kibble and fresh fruit and veggies.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Gosh, I love this forum! Thank you all for responding. My Toby loves his pine nuts and I use them as a reward when training. There are times when he is not in the mood, so no pine nuts, but he ALWAYS has kibble and fresh fruit and veggies.
And I think most bird owners would agree that not only are we training to curb what are for us bad habits, but the training in itself is an excellent enrichment tool that gets you the human and the bird communicating and learning about each other. Once they realize what is going on and if it's fun and rewarding for them, they should want to train, of course they aren't always in the mood, and neither are we. My birds love it, they get excited when they see the. target! I don't follow either PW or BT anymore, I get much better advice for free on here!

WindGlider

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Barbara McQuirns
And I think most bird owners would agree that not only are we training to curb what are for us bad habits, but the training in itself is an excellent enrichment tool that gets you the human and the bird communicating and learning about each other. Once they realize what is going on and if it's fun and rewarding for them, they should want to train, of course they aren't always in the mood, and neither are we. My birds love it, they get excited when they see the. target! I don't follow either PW or BT anymore, I get much better advice for free on here!
Absolutely agree! There are times he is stretching towards me, so exciting, can't wait to start. Then when he's done, he's done. ☺