• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Opinions on BirdTricks?

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I only watch them for their birds...:o:

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
I hate it when trainers like Marlene or Birdtricks rebrand pellets especially tops and then charge a lot more. Most people would assume their one is healthier as they claim, not knowing you can probably get better for less. Well known brands are formulated with lots of vets, nutritionists experts etc. not social media figures. Marlene's one is shocking- tops with a bunch of seeds mixed in is about almost double the price. A lot of birds wouldn't even eat the pellets when seeds are an option in it.
I totally agree. I feel like you can’t trust any more bird people like them anymore. It’s kinda sad to think about. I saw the cost for Marlene and I was shocked.

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I'll take elleandthebirds over Birdtricks everyday.

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
elleandthebirds
She was on here for a while, asking opinions about Marlene, said she met her in person too.. Not that she's bad or said anything wrong.. but she isn't a professional animal behaviourist either.. Like with anything in life it's buyers beware.
Here's the thread

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've seen some of Marlene, Bird Tricks & Elle. They try, but each has their faults. As Ulis_Beast said, buyer beware. Since most people in animal training have scant if any professional qualifications or diversified experience (like one might get at a sanctuary or shelter, for example), I think it's best to get other opinions. Very few have even mentored under someone who knows their stuff & has a proven track record.

That's why I'm on AA. Collectively, there's a lot of diversified experience for people like me to learn from.

Elle's last video was it for me. Didn't last 2 minutes. Others may appreciate teenage drama & slang woven into her videos, but I don't. I suspect she lost a lot of her occasional adult audience that day. Marlene largely talks in a mudroom, ad nauseum & clearly off the top of her head, & Bird Tricks often talks on a couch about how great their products are if only you will buy them. Not a great advertisement. I'm not paying to watch someone monologue on a couch & they show little else.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
To be honest as cute, entertaining or interesting as some of the mentioned YouTube stars are none of them are qualified to be giving the advice they’re giving so essentially people are wasting their time on rot when they’re looking for education. I just wish there was a way to make everyone who follows any of them be totally aware of that and the fact there are actual qualified people out there.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Sparkles99 Here is a list of highly competent, highly trained bird trainers etc.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Sorry of this sounds silly, but what is required before someone is a 'professional'?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Most of the ones listed are Certified Parrot Behavioral Consultant. Here is an explanation by Dr. Lafeber of what is involved. Parrot Behavior Consultants: Who They Are & How They Can Help – Pet Birds by Lafeber Co.

Pamela Clark is a IAABC CERTIFIED PARROT BEHAVIOR CONSULTANT

Here are Barbara Heidenrich's qulifications;
You can check the qualifications of any of the others yourself, on the internet.

noun
a person engaged or qualified in a profession.
"professionals such as lawyers and surveyors"
a person engaged in a specified activity, especially a sport or branch of the performing arts, as a main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.
"his first season as a professional"

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you, Hankmacaw! I will check those out. :)

AussieBird, there are many things that distinguish a professional. In terms of a wild animal, like parrots, I would expect at least a degree in field biology or anthropology, specializing in parrots. That or they would have to have mentored under such a person with access to many different birds, like at a sanctuary. To have been involved in scientific studies, not just case studies of one (their bird). Preferably field studies. How can you hope to understand a wild animal if you haven't observed it in the wild?

Most experts in wild animal behaviour actually have PhDs. Basically, you go to school to be a professional. You submit yourself to the guidance of a real expert. Most real dog trainers have both a proven track record of success & mentored under someone, even if informally, as often happens in hunting communities. It's likely easier as they're domestic too.

You do not just wake up one day, buy a variety of parrots & then call yourself an expert. Those people may even wind up liable if someone follows their advice & gets hurt.

I could give a car to 5 year old: it wouldn't make them a race car driver. Your average dog person proves this all the time. They're hauled along in the wake of unkempt, ungroomed, unsocialized, untrained & often outright aggressive animals. All they offer are excuses.

Owning something never made anyone an expert.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Thanks for answering me.
The reason I asked is because animal training is something I am considering studying. But you look on the internet and there's so many 'trainers' with no qualification, so they're basically saying anyone can be a trainer. I've been owning and training dogs since I was nine and I don't call myself an expert.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Most of the ones listed are Certified Parrot Behavioral Consultant. Here is an explanation by Dr. Lafeber of what is involved. Parrot Behavior Consultants: Who They Are & How They Can Help – Pet Birds by Lafeber Co.

Pamela Clark is a IAABC CERTIFIED PARROT BEHAVIOR CONSULTANT

Here are Barbara Heidenrich's qulifications;
You can check the qualifications of any of the others yourself, on the internet.

noun
a person engaged or qualified in a profession.
"professionals such as lawyers and surveyors"
a person engaged in a specified activity, especially a sport or branch of the performing arts, as a main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.
"his first season as a professional"
This job sounds wonderful

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They are thieves and are only worried about making a buck on the back of people who don't know any better than to hand their money over to them...charlottes I believe they would have been called in a different time? Save your money and go with someone who knows what they are talking about as Hank Macaw mentioned. There are plenty of true trainers around who actually know what they are talking about.
I think you're referring to charlatans?