• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

One now two conures

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
I am getting ready to adopt and save another green cheek conure from down here in the south. I know that there are a few rules in regards to having a new bird in the house (Rico has almost always been an alone bird) but i wanted some advise. i heard the quarentine period is 30 days, is this true? i of course have a vet visit for her coming up when i get her, so that'll be interesting. the person that i am getting her from says that she is 9 months old, and Rico is currently 1-1/2 going on 2. he is a male, and she will be a female (her name will be Pepita).

what are some of the things i should do when introducing the birds to each other? i wasn't sure where to put this so if this is an inappropriate place to post this please let me know and ill repost.

pic for tax.
1709310048604.png

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Congratulations, so exciting!

After quarantine I set them up on opposite sides of the room for 2 weeks. And I start postive associations. I walk one over and give treats to both and walk away , only if you can keep them with you and off the others cage . After lots of this , I sit with one by the others cage and hand out sbd swapping who I do that with. I really want them to just be chill with the other near .

Never let in out bird land on a cage with one inside . Almost always this results in a huge fight .

Your current GCC is likely to be very territorial about having a new bird around at first..but then they become accepting.
sometimes I wait a week before starting postive associations..

I usually wait 3 more weeks before attempting out of cage introduction. I go heck o slow . Because that has led to the smoothest integration.

Tho my first GCC was so darn excited by newly brought home GCC , and she was equally excited that I ended up letting them meet on day one and they promptly moved in together and had a deep love , like they had always known each other. I had Ta-dah cage all set up ! But they met and never left each other side
Never had anything like that again in all the other birds I have added. Ta-dah had a vet exam before we got home , and Burt had been my only bird for ten years so I had no worries about cooties. ( ta,-dah had clymadia test , and viral testing at pet stores, with vet papers , and then my vet checked her) Both later DNA girls

Last edited:

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
Congratulations, so exciting!

After quarantine I set them up on opposite sides of the room for 2 weeks. And I start postive associations. I walk one over and give treats to both and walk away , only if you can keep them with you and off the others cage . After lots of this , I sit with one by the others cage and hand out sbd swapping who I do that with. I really want them to just be chill with the other near .

Never let in out bird land on a cage with one inside . Almost always this results in a huge fight .

Your current GCC is likely to be very territorial about having a new bird around at first..but then they become accepting.
sometimes I wait a week before starting postive associations..

I usually wait 3 more weeks before attempting out of cage introduction. I go heck o slow . Because that has led to the smoothest integration.

Tho my first GCC was so darn excited by newly brought home GCC , and she was equally excited that I ended up letting them meet on day one and they promptly moved in together and had a deep love , like they had always known each other. I had Ta-dah cage all set up ! But they met and never left each other side
Never had anything like that again in all the other birds I have added. Ta-dah had a vet exam before we got home , and Burt had been my only bird for ten years so I had no worries about cooties. ( ta,-dah had clymadia test , and viral testing at pet stores, with vet papers , and then my vet checked her) Both later DNA girls

So i really wanna know if i can quarentine the new bird in my room? I live in a condo and its small but it has very high ceilings and lots of room for birds to fly around. rico is free to do whatever he wants all day and he goes wherever he wants. So if i close my room for the new bird would she be okay? Thanks in advance :)

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
So i really wanna know if i can quarentine the new bird in my room? I live in a condo and its small but it has very high ceilings and lots of room for birds to fly around. rico is free to do whatever he wants all day and he goes wherever he wants. So if i close my room for the new bird would she be okay? Thanks in advance :)
I don’t see why not they will be in different rooms that’s main thing washing hands and changing clothes inbetween birds while you quarantine

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
I don’t see why not they will be in different rooms that’s main thing washing hands and changing clothes inbetween birds while you quarantine

Excellent. Whats the quarentine for? I never knew the reason. Like to prevent disease?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Excellent. Whats the quarentine for? I never knew the reason. Like to prevent disease?
Yes incase your new little one as anything don’t want to pass to your bird
I’ve quarantine my lovebirds and gcc my friend got kept them downstairs which was a nightmare as they constantly called to each other
I didn’t quarantine pip as he came from same breeder as remi had a poo sample sent off before fetching him home but my vet didn’t think I needed to