• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nube having another incident (Reunion update #60 w/ pics)

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Update;

I think having the collar off so soon after that big scab dropped was a mistake. I should have waited one more day. Instead I think it actually was made a little worse which has taken a week to heal. Set back :(

Anyways, today the scab has healed and I have removed Nubes collar, hopefully for the last time.
He has also been reunited with Lapis, well the divider taken out so they can snuggle and preen.

Not sure when I will put them back into their own cage. For now they stay in this little cage where I can keep a close eye on them. I don't know whether to put the divider in for bedtime. I am just not sure yet.

There is a feather that has emerged and is growing the wrong way, but I think I have seen others say similar things and this can just be a fluke thing? @Macawnutz ?
He hasn't yoinked it yet, they have preened it...
View attachment 441926

Some reunion pics;

View attachment 441927

View attachment 441925

View attachment 441928

View attachment 441929

View attachment 441930
Sorry about the set back hopefully he leaves it along from now on

but oh my goodness how cute are they together makes my heart melt

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I am well aware of the state of the pedi perch. It belongs to Gis who feeds everything in his cage and I was rushing to get them something for Lapis to file her beak on :shrug:

They have been sat side by side and don't leave each other..

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I am well aware of the state of the pedi perch. It belongs to Gis who feeds everything in his cage and I was rushing to get them something for Lapis to file her beak on :shrug:

They have been sat side by side and don't leave each other..
I love how they take preening in turns so cute

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Precious :heart:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
They are too adorable together. I loved all your pics :) :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So beautiful. Lovebirds really are the cutest.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
That's wonderful! They are adorable.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So they did go back to their cage a week or so after their reunion. The first few nights I put the separator in the little cage. When I returned them to their own cage, I put Sydneys bowl in there so there were two food bowls.

They were together a week, two weeks, and I came home yesterday to find Nube had been bleeding.

I had been checking the site multiple times daily, so I know he was fine yesterday before I went out. He has been in a big moult this last week. Not sure what is causing this, if it's him, if it's her. I don't think a camera would help because I have to look inside the feathers to see wounds. He loves her so much, he just wants to be with her but I have had to separate him away.
He is currerntly a barnacle on me again now until he heals.
I went out and bought some more felt yesterday and made him a felt collar so I wouldn't have to use the plastic one. And I have put that on him for bedtime only. Yesterday evening was under my nose the whole time, including the journey to the sandwich shop. I took the collar off this morning and I will put it back on at bedtime.

Because of his moult, his neck feathers had all grown back, he still has a load of pins on his neck, one broke last night, and he made a new little bald patch at the front, but most for now are ok. One pin was broken near the site, not sure if it is just that and the blood has smeared and he's picked out some feathers. I am disinfecting throughout the day, and will continue with his supplement and the night collar.

Hopefully he can be healed in a week if we really watch over him. Collaring him full time is such a last resort, I want the collar on as little as possible.

This post has taken me a while to write, so I will unlikely be typing more long posts until he's healed.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I'm possibly thinking he has an issue with his heart , as that's the only thing ( I ) can think of causing him pain in that area ...when you first posted it reminded me of the very few times I've seen birds go after that area. But it's odd that you report seasonality .
Has he ever had an X-ray, probably I'm thinking not, because of the risk , but if ever he needed sedation maybe something to do.

Sending well wishes, you do amazing job of caring for him. I'm sorry he had a set back , it's a shame it's molting time , that's rough

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Poor little man I am so sorry you are really having a hard time at minute sending you massive hugs and well wishes

you do amazing with them just hold onto that

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
An update on Nube,

I watched over him like a hawk for two weeks, every second of the day. He was collared for bedtime except for the last few days.

3 days ago I let his loose in the guest bedroom where Lapis is. I watched over them together for a few hours, this was their first encounter because I took Nube away from her and didn't let them see each other this time. She remained hormonal while he was not with her.
They spent most of their time in the cage, Nube would come and perch on the outside of their cage a while too.
At night I caged him separately. First thing in the morning I opened both cages again. I called the vet last night and booked both in for a beak trim today because I had noticed Lapis' beak was quite sharp. Neither had overgrown beaks, but they were sharp, so to avoid damaging the new delicate skin, I thought best to have them both trimmed.
I explained to my vet how badly hormonal Lapis has been, cavity seeking on my oodie (which is something she usually doesn't do), and an aray of shreiks and clicks. He suggested an injection which I agreed to. We go back in 10-14 days for a check up for her.
They are currently caged apart for bedtime. Tomorrow we will see if the injection has started to take effect....

I have Gis and Adelie in the living room away from everyone else to not cause unneccesary interference.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
His feathers have grown back, he's had a moult, and now he has a funny coloured patch but I don't care - he's healed and he's alive, I couldn't ask for more!
Oh and he's doing the thing again where he turns yellow..
IMG_20240511_193127.jpg

IMG_20240511_193108.jpg IMG_20240511_193110.jpg IMG_20240511_193105.jpg

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Me too, he's such a sweet little guy :heart2:
All your babies look sweet I don’t know what I did wrong with lovebirds

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
All your babies look sweet I don’t know what I did wrong with lovebirds
My boys are sweeter than the girls no question! Girls can be complicated but Adelie is my sweetest girl. Nothing sweeter in life than a peachie boy! :ypflb:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
My boys are sweeter than the girls no question! Girls can be complicated but Adelie is my sweetest girl. Nothing sweeter in life than a peachie boy! :ypflb:
I agree pico was my sweetest bird ever little heartbird miss him so much

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
He really is the sweetest looking little treasure :)