• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nube having another incident (Reunion update #60 w/ pics)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How’s he doing @Zara
:shrug2:
He is eating, drinking and pooping. But he's fidgeting a lot with the collar, he's plucked the front of his neck bare. The site still looks a mess because it has dried blood on. Gonna try cleaning him up a bit in a little while to see if I can clear a bit more of the old blood.
He and Lapis are flock calling all the time.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
:shrug2:
He is eating, drinking and pooping. But he's fidgeting a lot with the collar, he's plucked the front of his neck bare. The site still looks a mess because it has dried blood on. Gonna try cleaning him up a bit in a little while to see if I can clear a bit more of the old blood.
He and Lapis are flock calling all the time.
Oh poor little baby you must be so worried about him
Is he separated from lapis bet they are missing each other
I hope he stops plucking and leaves it to heal

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is he separated from lapis
Yes. Now that he is collared, he is unable to leave the travel cage because he can't fly. You can see in the pictures he has an elizabethan collar. Not my favourite, but effective. It is now just a waiting game until he heals. Until every tiny speck of scab has healed, he can't have his collar off.
He is here on the table next to me so I can watch him. He's sleeping with his back to me and a leg tucked in :)

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:bighug: I hope he heals quickly. Such an ordeal for both of you.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
How’s he and you doing today sending positive vibes

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He was flock calling to Lapis all night, woke me up at the crack of dawn flock calling back and forth. I have him here on the table next to me calling top note for her.
This isn't going to work. I think I need to put them in a breeder cage as this could take a while to heal and I will end up with a headache if I can't get these two near each other.

Our check up was supposed to be today but because of the picking, we pushed the appointment to tomorrow.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
He was flock calling to Lapis all night, woke me up at the crack of dawn flock calling back and forth. I have him here on the table next to me calling top note for her.
This isn't going to work. I think I need to put them in a breeder cage as this could take a while to heal and I will end up with a headache if I can't get these two near each other.

Our check up was supposed to be today but because of the picking, we pushed the appointment to tomorrow.
Can you have them near each other cages together to they can interact a little but not in cage together I know you have your big tall cage so maybe harder

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little ones! I hope the vet visit will go well.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can you have them near each other cages together to they can interact a little but not in cage together I know you have your big tall cage so maybe harder
I have a small breeder cage. But I would have to then take Lapis with us to the vet, monitor when the solid divider isn't in to be sure he's not feeding her or her picking him though the cage bars. I just don't know if that will be more stressful, can see each other but not be together, like dangling a carrot :(

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I have a small breeder cage. But I would have to then take Lapis with us to the vet, monitor when the solid divider isn't in to be sure he's not feeding her or her picking him though the cage bars. I just don't know if that will be more stressful, can see each other but not be together, like dangling a carrot :(
Yes that’s a hard one hope you get it sorted

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So on the friday, the vet said to stop giving the metacam. He wrote me a prescription for a silver sulpherdiazene spray to spray on the wound. Nube hates it. We were given a followup appointment for wednesday, which was today.
He was all scabby, so the vet picked a bit of the dried scabs away, but when getting him from the cage, nube banged the biggest scab on the perch and that bled a little. So he showed me how to clean around all the scabs with chlorhexidine. He also gave me a supplement for plumage (Nekton biotin). I just put that on Nubes food while he side eyed me, I swear he must think I'm trying to poison him or something :(
Nube and lapis have been in the joined cage so they can eat side by side, which they have done a lot.
The collar was supposed to come off today, but for now it will have to stay on.
No more itraconazol. Downing the antibiotic dose to twice per day.
The vet was debating putting a couple of stiches in Nubed "shoulder", but ultimately decided against it as the skin is too thick and it wouldn't hold.
Follow up appointment in another week...

I had an awful interaction at the chemist trying to buy chlorhexidine. I know that the name brand is cristalmina, but I didn't want that, plus it was either watery liquid of a thick pomade type gel. Once the woman found out I was buying it for my bird it got worse with lots of eye rolling and talking to me like a moron is a condescending tone. Bought some online, will be here friday morning.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I agree you're doing an awesome job. It's so hard to watch them struggle. I hope things start turning around and Nube feels better soon! He's so sweet looking and that picture of Lapis reaching out is so sweet, but also heartbreaking in a way too. I hope they can be together soon. My heart goes out to you all :bighug:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
He looks brighter eyes than he did right after it happened. I hope his recovery continues smoothly! What a little cutie

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Poor buddy.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The wound really does look a bit better to me! I’m sorry the chemist got all huffy with you. That sort of behavior is just unnecessarily hurtful! Hang in there, Zara! Hugs for you and sweet Nube!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little Nube! His wound looks better but still significant. I’m sorry you two are going through this and that you’ve had a hard time finding the chlorhexidine.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you for the well wishes everyone :)

He looks brighter eyes than he did right after it happened.
When it first happened he was also easier to grab and give meds to, he barely fought back - the picture I posted in the vet holding him, he fell asleep in my hand like that. But now he thinks he can try and out run my hand, and then wriggle his way out.
I think I will get my partner to help clean the wound tomorrow when the stuff arrives to avoid him getting hurt or over stressed.

That sort of behavior is just unnecessarily hurtful!
Yes it is, and not helpful at all!

had a hard time finding the chlorhexidine.
I found it easy on online pharmacies. But that means waiting for postage. I'm struggling to believe they only sell the well known, well advertised brand of it... and no others?? That's like the supermarket only selling Heinz ketchup and no other brands... :shrug2:
I'm just thankful it was available on amazon, as cruddy as they are, they do get stuff to you quickly and on time.

Fingers crossed this heals over nicely for our appointment next week.
We also decided that if this ever happens again, he gets the collar from the jump!