• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

NOT AGAIN

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Tiny 'Tiel is alive and holding strong as of this morning!! The vets are feeling cautiously optimistic about his chances. He's such a tough little vagabond!

Well at least now, thanks to you, he has a chance. What was it you did differently that let you finally catch him?
How did you finally get him?
Just a fluke miracle that I didn't even think would work! When I was digging something out of my storage closet yesterday, I found an old birdhouse that I never put out because the entrance hole was too big...big enough for a cockatiel, in fact. ;)

I wondered whether he'd go into it to escape the INSANE wind that was ripping through, and put it up in the tree on a lower branch. Then I stood at the door for what felt like forever watching, until, incredibly, unbelievably, he actually went in!!!

I ran over, slapped my hand over the hole, and carried him inside. I'm still gobsmacked that it actually worked!

Last edited:

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Wow! Nicely done! Poor little guy looks really beat up.

Thank you for being you! :heart: I know he'll get better and thrive in your care.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Poor baby! That is one raggedy looking little guy. He'll be gorgeous once he's cleaned up. He is a very fortunate tiel. He must be so relieved to be in a quiet, toasty room with a full crop. :sleeping5:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Poor little ragamuffin! :depressed:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@hrafn Is there any chance you offered a bowl of water and he had just bathed in those pics? He looks wet. If his feathers looked like that outside, they weren't insulating him at all! :(

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
@hrafn Is there any chance you offered a bowl of water and he had just bathed in those pics? He looks wet. If his feathers looked like that outside, they weren't insulating him at all! :(
It was sleeting and raining like crazy last night, with howling winds driving it hard in every direction. Everyone was drenched; I saw Chainsaw up in her tree and she was soaked, poor girl. Tiny 'Tiel looked very wet when he crawled into the birdhouse. He was so wet he couldn't even fly to it, he climbed down the tree.

He's dry and fluffy and warm at the vet now, though. I'm almost grateful for the atrocious weather, because I don't know if Tiny 'Tiel would have been compelled to go to the birdhouse otherwise.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Now that Tiny 'Tiel is getting stronger and the vets are updating me with increasingly promising news, I have a decision to make.

Before catching him, it was always the plan to bring Tiny 'Tiel straightaway to the Humane Society, like I did when I finally caught Mr. 'Tiel. However, because Tiny 'Tiel has a missing limb, I was worried to take him there when I caught him, for fear that he would be euthanised; the Humane Society here is wonderful, and works hard to ensure that animals are treated for their ailments and sent to loving new homes, but a one-legged cockatiel who was outside in the winter for nearly a month...they depend on donations for vet care, and I suspected that his would cost too much for them. :( Plus, CHS always strives to prevent animals being surrendered, and will always want you to consider all other options first. They took in Mr. 'Tiel without question because he needed immediate hospitalisation, and one of the techs adopted him before he was even well enough to be put up for public adoption. He was lucky. I also really don't want to add another mouth to feed, another patient to treat, another animal to rehome, to their already considerable workload.

I didn't think twice about driving to the emergency vet, or of shelling out over a thousand dollars (so far) to help him. But he's going to need ongoing care, probably for the rest of his life. He's disabled, and has to recover from a harrowing ordeal. It's still not really an option to bring him to the Humane Society, at least in my opinion.

Which leaves two options: to find a new home for him myself, probably without any real assurances that he'll go to someone who cares (everybody wants a disabled pet around here; it's like having a trophy :shifty:), or keep him myself. Obviously that's the preferable option, but I have two individuals to consider:

Taco and Réy.

I already have two dusty birds in my house. I work very, very hard to keep them safe (separate rooms, daily intensive scrub-downs, a small army of air purifiers), and neither of them seem to have any of the signs or symptoms of PHS. Their regular vet is very pleased with my efforts.

But still. Cockatiels are tiny, but they're still dusty.

I want the best for Tiny 'Tiel, but also for the flock I already have.

Help. :sad9:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Luv Bug adores showering (and gets quite demanding if hubby takes too long to get in) and while Puffin isn't thrilled about being misted, she can be coaxed into thoroughly enjoying it with enough kisses and encouragement. The bathing cuts down on so much dust! We have a ceramic blow dryer for them and ceramic space heater if they have to go in their cages before they've finished drying. Puffin gets well-misted about 3 times a week, Luv Bug thoroughly soaks herself at least 5 days out of the week.

Also, we have 2 air filters for what is pretty much one long room: a table top filter in the dining room between Buzzard and the green cheeks and a large tower (rated for a much larger space) next to the girls' cage in the living room. The rooms connect and it is far from ideal, but we can really tell the difference with the filters and I can't say enough abut baths, baths, baths! We would probably still have the air filters for our own benefit. My step-daughter has allergies, but with the filters our birds and dogs don't bother her.

But mostly baths.
Did I mention baths?

What is your solution with Kraz and Kamara currently?

Last edited:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Luv Bug adores showering (and gets quite demanding if hubby takes too long to get in) and while Puffin isn't thrilled about being misted, she can be coaxed into thoroughly enjoying it with enough kisses and encouragement. The bathing cuts down on so much dust! We have a ceramic blow dryer for them and ceramic space heater if they have to go in their cages before they've finished drying. Puffin gets well-misted about 3 times a week, Luv Bug thoroughly soaks herself at least 5 days out of the week.

Also, we have 2 air filters for what is pretty much one long room: a table top filter in the dining room between Buzzard and the green cheeks and a large tower (rated for a much larger space) next to the girls' cage in the living room. The rooms connect and it is far from ideal, but we can really tell the difference with the filters and I can't say enough abut baths, baths, baths! We would probably still have the air filters for our own benefit. My step-daughter has allergies, but with the filters our birds and dogs don't bother her.

But mostly baths.
Did I mention baths?

What is your solution with Kraz and Kamara currently?
The K kids both get daily baths (Kraz loves them, Kamara tolerates them). They're in their own Dusty Bird room separated entirely from the New World fid room. There are two air purifiers in the New World room, and three in the Dusty Bird room, as well as one in the hallway separating them, and both have ceramic heaters to keep them warm. Both rooms are dusted and spritzed down twice a day. Papers usually three.

Do you think that'd be okay? It works great for two, I'm just paranoid about three.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I think it would work for seven :devil: teen.

How are you gonna ask an enabler to help you say no? :pinklol: He can be your disabled trophy bird. You deserve some kind of award besides reserved parking at the vet. :hug8:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am guessing the only help we are likely to give you is convincing you that you will manage fine with one tiny extra dusty bird. You have this all under control and already have a great system that works well.
So, I am wondering what names you have picked out for this little miracle bird?
I think that given the fact that you have now rescued two of the same sort of bird under crazy circumstances there must be a message the world is sending you.....you need another tiel for your collection of living wonders is what the message is me thinks! Lol

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
I wouldn't let that little guy out of my sight. He has to have an enormous character if he can survive in an Alberta winter as long as he did.
I think a wonderful little bird has come into your life and it's a blessing.