• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Normal behavior or Unique behavior?!

peaches13

Strolling the yard
Hello!
Today I found two unusual behaviors for my bird. The first is that when I touch his head and cheeks, he seems to like it, but acts to vomit. I don't know what that means, so I'm thinking about stopping to touch him.
Secondly, today, my bird was holding one leg on the cage and his eyes narrowed. If I look at the other eyes, his eye is fully open. I don't know why my bird is holding his leg. My bird came to see a veterinarian yesterday and was told that it was healthy. In case you don't understand what I said, I also attached a video. After finding out that my bird's tent was bad, I ordered a seagrass tent from Amazon, but I haven't come yet to use it temporarily.

:birdance:Thank you for reading my post:flowgdnc:

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The first video looks like he's adjusting his crop, and the second is just something birds do, most hold up a foot when they nap.

@webchirp

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
First video you’re scratching him over his ears, so they do that motion or yawn most of the time.
And second one, raising itself on one foot is an indication of a healthy bird. It means they trust their balance and grip enough to do that.

So don’t worry! Totally normal and healthy. He’s a very beautiful Cheekie. :cloud9:

peaches13

Strolling the yard
First video you’re scratching him over his ears, so they do that motion or yawn most of the time.
And second one, raising itself on one foot is an indication of a healthy bird. It means they trust their balance and grip enough to do that.

So don’t worry! Totally normal and healthy. He’s a very beautiful Cheekie. :cloud9:
Oo that makes me happy. Also did u see my bird narrow eye is that okay to him? I send video to his avian vet and she said come to hospital because his eye can hurt on Vet hold him by towel so she will use eye drop to my bird. She will check can be sore feet for make sure so. Thank you!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Also did u see my bird narrow eye is that okay to him?
Looked totally fine to me, keeping one eye open during rest is somewhat of a defense mechanism since they’re naturally prey animals. When the camera paned over he opened it back up so I see no issue there.

peaches13

Strolling the yard
Looked totally fine to me, keeping one eye open during rest is somewhat of a defense mechanism since they’re naturally prey animals. When the camera paned over he opened it back up so I see no issue there.
Thank you again. I have different question about perch. He use dowel perch and I did not know that is bad for bird. When I wrap by vet tape on perch is that fine to him? Do u have any recommend perch I can change for my bird..? Sorry to ask question a lot:(

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Thank you again. I have different question about perch. He use dowel perch and I did not know that is bad for bird. When I wrap by vet tape on perch is that fine to him? Do u have any recommend perch I can change for my bird..? Sorry to ask question a lot:(
You can use a box cutter (Stanley knife) on the dowel perch to carefully remove small slivers and give the perch a random shape. Don't cut too deep, you'll weaken it. A quick sanding to remove any sharp edges then wrap in vet wrap and voila - foot friendly perch.

RainbowFlo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Estella
Do u have any recommend perch I can change for my bird..? Sorry to ask question a lot:(
In addition to what Ripshod said, you can also use natural perches if you aren't already. They look like /are tree branches which is what your gcc would perch on in the wild and it's healthy for feet. You can also collect your own branches and disinfect/bake them if you are sure they are safe.

This thread has lists and links on safe wood. I'm sure if you post a picture of the tree you want to get branches off of, someone can help you identify it :)
Safe wood?

~Estella :loveshower:

PS: He is one cute bird!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Congrats! He is beautiful.

peaches13

Strolling the yard
You can use a box cutter (Stanley knife) on the dowel perch to carefully remove small slivers and give the perch a random shape. Don't cut too deep, you'll weaken it. A quick sanding to remove any sharp edges then wrap in vet wrap and voila - foot friendly perch.
Oh that sounds good to me and thank you! I changed few things in his cage. I removed 2 dowel perch, but he loves top one so I cover by vet tape for him. I visit vet today and everything is fine.

peaches13

Strolling the yard
In addition to what Ripshod said, you can also use natural perches if you aren't already. They look like /are tree branches which is what your gcc would perch on in the wild and it's healthy for feet. You can also collect your own branches and disinfect/bake them if you are sure they are safe.

This thread has lists and links on safe wood. I'm sure if you post a picture of the tree you want to get branches off of, someone can help you identify it :)
Safe wood?

~Estella :loveshower:

PS: He is one cute bird!
WOAH that is fantastic because I buy a real wood perch and he loves chew that perch. Thank you so much!