• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Night fright - consussion worries

LiefDuivel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Callum Rivoire
Genji had his first night fright in months about an hour ago. It didn't last long since I was sitting just a few feet away, and got to him In less than 10 seconds, but I'm worried he may have hit his head, since I found him in the upper corner on a perch when I lifted the blanket.

For the first while, he wouldn't move and leaned sort of down and to the side like he was crouching. When he calmed, he moved to his usual sleeping perch and continued to lean-crouch to one side very heavily. Then he shot up straight like he was surprised and began looking around more normally, opening and closing his beak in little yawns, and chirping very softly in response to my voice. He isn't leaning any more, just sitting in his sleeping position, but his head occasionally twitches directly backwards a few times (like into his neck, sort of like the beginning of when he'd regurgitate food to feed another bird - but not regurgitating or vomitting at all) and then yawns.

No tail bobbing or trembling or any other concerns, other than his heavy breathing rhat lasted about 20 minutes.

I'm hoping he was just dazed and coming out of it, and I will be taking him to the emergency vet first thing in the morning if he's acting any bit out of the norm in the morning - unfortunately our avian vet isn't 24/hour.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Genji had his first night fright in months about an hour ago. It didn't last long since I was sitting just a few feet away, and got to him In less than 10 seconds, but I'm worried he may have hit his head, since I found him in the upper corner on a perch when I lifted the blanket.

For the first while, he wouldn't move and leaned sort of down and to the side like he was crouching. When he calmed, he moved to his usual sleeping perch and continued to lean-crouch to one side very heavily. Then he shot up straight like he was surprised and began looking around more normally, opening and closing his beak in little yawns, and chirping very softly in response to my voice. He isn't leaning any more, just sitting in his sleeping position, but his head occasionally twitches directly backwards a few times (like into his neck, sort of like the beginning of when he'd regurgitate food to feed another bird - but not regurgitating or vomitting at all) and then yawns.

No tail bobbing or trembling or any other concerns, other than his heavy breathing rhat lasted about 20 minutes.

I'm hoping he was just dazed and coming out of it, and I will be taking him to the emergency vet first thing in the morning if he's acting any bit out of the norm in the morning - unfortunately our avian vet isn't 24/hour.
Aww I hope your little guy is okay.
How is he this morning?

LiefDuivel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Callum Rivoire
@Icey

Thankfully he is doing okay this morning! Nothing unusual in his behavior or body language <3 I have the day off at least so i'm going to continue monitoring just in case, but otherwise he seems perfectly okay!