• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newborn Lovebird Help (sad update #28)

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
I built an outdoor aviary to breed peach faceds. Just one pair. Nesting box had a way for me to “peak in,” but I never did unless it was getting time to remove the chicks. South Florida, so we’re talking a warm tropical climate.

I could always tell what was going on with them by their behavior, I knew there were eggs in the box, one bird always stayed in the box while the other went outside to feed. Just kept throwing thin branches with leaves in the enclosure, and never thought twice about checking how well they nested the breeding box. They’re the experts, not me.

This one pair produced about 8 clutches, maybe 50 chicks (who remembers, years ago), and it was my fault that I overbred the hen to death. I had no idea what I was doing, but damn, when it came to making babies, those birds sure did.

You just have to let them do their thing, help them in the ways you can, and don’t stress over bad eggs.

Don’t make the mistake I did, but do NOT mistakes I didn’t:

Didn’t lose a single chick, no more than 2 hours sleep in a row for months and months to formula feed them, but damn:

It was heartbreaking selling them and giving them away, since they all imprinted on me (kind of), and it was a wonderful experience.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I shouldn’t be worried that she’s still this size right? I’m relying too much on YouTube videos and google on her size lol
I have a playlist on youtube, I filmed a short clip daily. But it is hard as there´s nothing to work out how big they are... but you can see feather development, and when they open their eyes etc. I don´t know how helpful it is, but I´ll link it anyway: Lovebird growth

They’re the experts, not me.
and it was my fault that I overbred the hen to death
Yes they really are. Especially those aviary birds/parent raised birds. That is their downfall in captivity - they don´t know when to stop, and if we let them they will just keep going whilst depleting themselves of nutrients and energy. I´m sorry your hen passed away.

no more than 2 hours sleep in a row for months and months to formula feed them, but damn:

It was heartbreaking selling them and giving them away, since they all imprinted on me
I raised one lovebird chick from 5 days old, I got so attached I couldn´t let her go.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used the heart that the bear was holding...I think it might be small enough. If not, I’ll remove it!

I’ll attach pictures of how her brooder looks now.
That's looking much better!

Dodger can use the little toy heart to lean on - again, it stops her/him from having to support their own weight when they're so tiny. Fingers crossed for this little one.

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
I built an outdoor aviary to breed peach faceds. Just one pair. Nesting box had a way for me to “peak in,” but I never did unless it was getting time to remove the chicks. South Florida, so we’re talking a warm tropical climate.

I could always tell what was going on with them by their behavior, I knew there were eggs in the box, one bird always stayed in the box while the other went outside to feed. Just kept throwing thin branches with leaves in the enclosure, and never thought twice about checking how well they nested the breeding box. They’re the experts, not me.

This one pair produced about 8 clutches, maybe 50 chicks (who remembers, years ago), and it was my fault that I overbred the hen to death. I had no idea what I was doing, but damn, when it came to making babies, those birds sure did.

You just have to let them do their thing, help them in the ways you can, and don’t stress over bad eggs.

Don’t make the mistake I did, but do NOT mistakes I didn’t:

Didn’t lose a single chick, no more than 2 hours sleep in a row for months and months to formula feed them, but damn:

It was heartbreaking selling them and giving them away, since they all imprinted on me (kind of), and it was a wonderful experience.
Wow! My pair of lovebirds right now have had maybe 3 batches of eggs that didn't make it before this current one so my family and I were surprised and caught off guard when we heard little chirping noises. I'm hoping the other eggs will hatch soon! I'm definitely not getting more than 2 hours of sleep in a row and it's not even one week haha. I have a long road ahead of me!

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
I have a playlist on youtube, I filmed a short clip daily. But it is hard as there´s nothing to work out how big they are... but you can see feather development, and when they open their eyes etc. I don´t know how helpful it is, but I´ll link it anyway: Lovebird growth
Thank you! Those chicks are soo cute! Dodgers seems to be growing at a slower speed...but then again it's only been 4 days.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Now that I've seen my tag for this thread... thanks to @Zara for all her help in guiding the changes you needed to make. It's a tough job hand raising at that age and I commend you for taking the time to learn via your searches and coming to the Avenue for further guidance.

As mentioned lovebirds can become prolific breeders to the detriment of their health. You mentioned your pair has had three clutches of eggs prior to this clutch? Is that all this year? If so, when this clutch is finished I would suggest removing the nestbox all together and discourage them from laying again for quite some time. What is the current diet you feed your adult birds?

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
Now that I've seen my tag for this thread... thanks to @Zara for all her help in guiding the changes you needed to make. It's a tough job hand raising at that age and I commend you for taking the time to learn via your searches and coming to the Avenue for further guidance.
I'm soo happy to have found Avian Avenue because I would honestly still be lost. Extremely grateful for everyone's advice and guidance!!!

As mentioned lovebirds can become prolific breeders to the detriment of their health. You mentioned your pair has had three clutches of eggs prior to this clutch? Is that all this year? If so, when this clutch is finished I would suggest removing the nestbox all together and discourage them from laying again for quite some time. What is the current diet you feed your adult birds?
I would say over the last 2-3 years. Right now, the lovebirds eat ZuPreem Fruit Blend, Lafeber's Nutri-Berries Tropical Fruit, and I sprinkle Vitakraft Egg Food Supplement.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m very sorry for your loss :(

Was she fed through the night? Was the food prepped correctly? Was the temp in the brooder ok? Sorry if it seems insensitive to ask questions, but it´s good to double check everything and try and figure out if there was a problem as you may have more chicks hatch soon.

:sadhug:

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
I´m very sorry for your loss :(

Was she fed through the night? Was the food prepped correctly? Was the temp in the brooder ok? Sorry if it seems insensitive to ask questions, but it´s good to double check everything and try and figure out if there was a problem as you may have more chicks hatch soon.

:sadhug:
She was fed every 2 hours and the food was at the right temperature (105-106F). I even kept a bowl of hot water to keep the food at temperature so it doesn’t go below temperature. The food was still at that “watery” consistency as instructed. I made sure to watch her crop too when feeding her. The temperature in the brooder was maintained at 96-98F. I’m trying to figure out what went wrong as well :( I got attached to Dodgers :(

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry to hear that Dodger didn't make it.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I'm sorry she didn't make it. It sounds like you did everything right. They are so fragile when they are so very tiny. You may want to invest in purchasing some dummy eggs to replace any future clutches your hen lays in the future. Many people here do this to prevent clutches of babies and slow the trigger for those hens that can be non stop egg layers. It sounds like your pair is not suited for raising babies and the best thing you can do would be to remove the nest box all together and have dummy eggs on hand if she decides to find a spot in her cage to lay.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry for your loss.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
I never had to raise one so young. All of mine were several weeks old, and I never had a deceased one in the box.

Sorry he didn’t make it.