• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newborn Lovebird Help (sad update #28)

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
Hi!
So my lovebirds recently had 2/5 of their eggs hatched. Unfortunately the first one didn’t survive due to the parents ignoring it...I’ve read that domesticated birds tend to not feed their chicks since they don’t know how (not sure if that’s true). So I’ve been hand feeding the second lovebird chick since I know the parents won’t feed her.

Her name is Dodgers and she was born on 10/19/2020. It’s my first time taking care of a lovebird chick and I’m anxious and worried. After watching YouTube videos of development, I feel like she might be stunted...hoping not for long. I keep her in a homemade brooder with a warmer underneath (temp at a constant 97-98°F). I’m using baby bird formula that is at 106-108°F and feeding her every 2 hours until her crop is full (normally about 6-8 drops). I’m also worried about her claws if you see in the pic or is it too soon to determine she’ll have splayed legs? C8B1C78D-452C-4639-A39A-E52D13AC7724.jpeg

Any tips or comments to ease my mind would be greatly appreciated! Pic is current.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome Kristina :)

.I’ve read that domesticated birds tend to not feed their chicks since they don’t know how
Sometimes that is the case. It is why we as humans need to be the ones to step in if that happens, like you and Dodgers.

I’m using baby bird formula that is at 106-108°F
105F is ideal temp. 108F is too hot.
Be sure to follow package instructions closely - the first week, the consistency will change slightly daily, so refer to the instructions again every morning to be sure you´re doing it right.

I’m also worried about her claws if you see in the pic or is it too soon to determine she’ll have splayed legs?
What is this that she is in, in the picture?
Brooder should be lined with aspen or coarse pine shavings. A good 4-5 inches, make a little nest/bowl shape near a corner for her to sit in.
She needs the shavings for traction to avoid splayed legs developing.
Where are the other eggs?

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
Welcome Kristina :)

Sometimes that is the case. It is why we as humans need to be the ones to step in if that happens, like you and Dodgers.

105F is ideal temp. 108F is too hot.
Be sure to follow package instructions closely - the first week, the consistency will change slightly daily, so refer to the instructions again every morning to be sure you´re doing it right.

What is this that she is in, in the picture?
Brooder should be lined with aspen or coarse pine shavings. A good 4-5 inches, make a little nest/bowl shape near a corner for her to sit in.
She needs the shavings for traction to avoid splayed legs developing.
Where are the other eggs?
So for her brooder (from the very bottom to top) it has a cage liner, paper towel, shelf liner, and carefresh bedding. The white stuff was like nesting materials for the mom. Is it okay to use the carefresh bedding? If so, should I add more? The other eggs are still in the main cage. The mom is currently sitting on the eggs.

105F is what I will aim for. I have been following the package closely and since she's 4 days old, it says to do 1 part Exact hand feeding formula and 2-3 parts water. I'm hoping I'm doing the consistency the correct way...should be a little bit watery, right?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is it okay to use the carefresh bedding?
@finchly @Matto @Mockinbirdiva
I´m not sure what this is, I don´t think we have it over here.

If it is safe Kristina (hopefully another member can confirm if it is or isn´t), then you need more than what is in the picture. The floor should be covered and a few inches deep.
Try not to leave the little one on her back, put her in a little dent in the bedding with her legs tucked under.
I would remove the white stuff.

If more eggs hatch, watch closely, but wait to remove until sure she is not caring for them.
For the first day they will feed off of the yolk sac, then the hen will start to feed once it has been fully absorbed.
If you notice they haven´t been fed, you can supplement feed and put them back in the nest if she is still sitting. If mum stops sitting, they need removed and put ni the brooder.

What formula are you using?

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
@finchly @Matto @Mockinbirdiva
I´m not sure what this is, I don´t think we have it over here.

If it is safe Kristina (hopefully another member can confirm if it is or isn´t), then you need more than what is in the picture. The floor should be covered and a few inches deep.
Try not to leave the little one on her back, put her in a little dent in the bedding with her legs tucked under.
I would remove the white stuff.

If more eggs hatch, watch closely, but wait to remove until sure she is not caring for them.
For the first day they will feed off of the yolk sac, then the hen will start to feed once it has been fully absorbed.
If you notice they haven´t been fed, you can supplement feed and put them back in the nest if she is still sitting. If mum stops sitting, they need removed and put ni the brooder.

What formula are you using?
She mostly sleeps on her stomach. She just so happened to roll over in the pic. I'll add more in the mean time and remove the white nesting materials! Thank you!

For the first chick and Dodgers, the mom ignored them and kinda tossed them to the side...but I've been monitoring the eggs as well.

I'm using the brand Exact Hand Feeding Formula.

Last edited:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Carefresh is a paper-based bedding. This site mentioned "odor control": carefresh® | Small Pet Bedding | Natural | Paper | Healthy Pet
It says it's unscented but as I have no idea what additive they use to control odor, I would not use it around birds.

Admittedly this was around 5-7 years ago, but I stopped using it for my rats because it was so dusty. Again, dust is very bad for birds' sensitive respiratory systems.

Personally I'd prefer to use shavings. As Zara says, it should be several inches deep and make a little hollow on it for the baby. This will support the baby's weight while they are too little to support their own weight.

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
Carefresh is a paper-based bedding. This site mentioned "odor control": carefresh® | Small Pet Bedding | Natural | Paper | Healthy Pet
It says it's unscented but as I have no idea what additive they use to control odor, I would not use it around birds.

Admittedly this was around 5-7 years ago, but I stopped using it for my rats because it was so dusty. Again, dust is very bad for birds' sensitive respiratory systems.

Personally I'd prefer to use shavings. As Zara says, it should be several inches deep and make a little hollow on it for the baby. This will support the baby's weight while they are too little to support their own weight.
Thank you! I'll get some shavings for Dodgers then. Does it matter if it's aspen or coarse pine shavings? Also, should i be concerned about her claws curling or is it too soon to tell?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
Either. Fine pine is not good though.

Those are baby feet.
1 week old,
View attachment 358960
You’ve all been extremely helpful! I changed her bedding to aspen. She doesn’t seem to squirm around as much as she used to with the other types of bedding so I truly appreciate the advice you’ve given.

I’m not too sure where I should be putting the temperature probe but in the pic is how I have it.

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
On closer inspection, I can see the plastic base, so it´s not got enough bedding in. If you are going to use so little (or don´t have more right now), then line a few sheets of kitchen roll between the red base and the shavings, but a few more shavings would be better.
The idea is to stop the bird reaching the floor/base. A foot on that surface cannot grip and that is what causes splayed legs as the leg is pushed out from under the bird.

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
On closer inspection, I can see the plastic base, so it´s not got enough bedding in. If you are going to use so little (or don´t have more right now), then line a few sheets of kitchen roll between the red base and the shavings, but a few more shavings would be better.
The idea is to stop the bird reaching the floor/base. A foot on that surface cannot grip and that is what causes splayed legs as the leg is pushed out from under the bird.
I’ll add more shavings! How deep should the shavings be (inches wise)?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It’s a small stuffed bear to keep Dodgers company so she’s not lonely lol
Remove it. It´s too big. If it falls over it can smother her. Do you have anything smaller? Like very small. If not, a rolled up small (clean) sock will work fine.
Make a shallow dent in the bedding and put them both in together.

How deep should the shavings be (inches wise)?
I like to do 4.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I gave one of my little ones this whale, I cut the tag off it first. It was a McDonalds children's toy.
Screenshot_20201023_222500.jpg

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
Remove it. It´s too big. If it falls over it can smother her. Do you have anything smaller? Like very small. If not, a rolled up small (clean) sock will work fine.
Make a shallow dent in the bedding and put them both in together.

I like to do 4.
I used the heart that the bear was holding...I think it might be small enough. If not, I’ll remove it!

I’ll attach pictures of how her brooder looks now.

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yea the little heart is much better. I would turn it around and cup it around the baby so they are snug. The idea is it is a ¨dummy chick¨. Chicks will huddle together and keep each other warm :)

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
Yea the little heart is much better. I would turn it around and cup it around the baby so they are snug. The idea is it is a ¨dummy chick¨. Chicks will huddle together and keep each other warm :)
Thank you so much!! I’ll keep you updated on Dodgers’ development! I shouldn’t be worried that she’s still this size right? I’m relying too much on YouTube videos and google on her size lol