• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Newbie with Cockatiels

Magpiepeacock

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi I am the owner of 2 male budgie's Tom and Jerry who are 3 yrs old and just adopted two male cockatiels roughly 18 months old. My main aim to get the tiels Golom and Gandelf to take food from me and hopefully sit on my hand.

I don't know my tiels history but they have certainly perked up since being in new cage with lots of toys. They had nothing in their old cage just one perch bless them so I don't think they have been loved or thought about. They also only want to eat their basic food I put some millit in and they just looked at it. Where as my budgie's go mad for it. I have started putting some grated carrot in. Any advise gladly received. Thanks 20170906_085518.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Thanks for helping these tiels. They're beautiful. I never had any luck getting my tiel to eat carrots. It may take them awhile to try veggies if they've never had them. Just keep trying. The first vegetable my tiel ate was broccoli tops chopped in tiny pieces- they look like seeds. He also liked cooked sweet potato, all kinds of lettuce (but iceburg) and snap peas.

Magpiepeacock

Checking out the neighborhood
That's a great tip, I will try the broccoli thanks. Bless them they don't move much I think they so used to not having any entertainment or interaction. My budgie's don't sit still they always on the go and very noisy. Am hoping once they have settled in a bit more they will come out their shells bless them.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If you just got them, it will probably take a bit for them to be comfortable in their new surroundings. If they seem really scared, you can cover three sides of the cage leaving the front open, so they don't have to be on "alert" for danger on all sides, until they get more comfortable.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
They're so cute, I'm glad you were able to give them a loving home. I'm sure they'll become more active an adventurous the more they get used to everything. My tiels favorite vegetable also is broccoli. They also really like lettuce, parsley, kale, green beans and sprouts. Have they been for a check up yet at an avian vet?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi, thank you for taking on the tiels. One of mine LOVES cooked peas. They both like sweet potato and broccoli, and they do not like to eat their veggies down low so I put it in one of their bowls on the side of the cage or on top where they can climb up and eat it.

Just take your time with them and consider every little positive change a victory. :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran